Post-Game Talk: Jets shot down in convincing fashion.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That's what I did. God that was ugly.

I did as well , first Hutch was a burnt out clutch , he has to be better especially when the Jets are playing back to back on the ROAD !!! Maybe he stops a couple of those goals and the Jets get pumped and play better ? And he didn't play the night before , he was well rested , he has to be better .

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Glad I PVR'd it so I could ff over it. I hope they are all embarassed and ashamed. Possibly the worst game by the Jets since Noel was the coach.

Trade em all! Start over. ****!

I did as well , first Hutch was a burnt out clutch , he has to be better especially when the Jets are playing back to back on the ROAD !!! Maybe he stops a couple of those goals and the Jets get pumped and play better ? And he didn't play the night before , he was well rested , he has to be better .

yeah welcome to the club guys :laugh:

I was at my gf's place over the weekend so I was just as happy as you guys about having that one watched on a replay.

yikes what an awful game. The Habs didn't even need to play well. We pretty much handed them a 4 goal lead and then it was over anyway. It's considerably bad to me because we actually had the chance to avoid a Price show. You don't play the freaking Habs without Price and **** the bed like that.

I'm surely a Burmistrov defender because I see all the things he does right, ESPECIALLY in his defensive zone and when he needs to play the D spot for someone pinching ... but that was by faaar his worst game of the season. I hope Maurice really gives it to him about the goal he just pretty much gave up all himself on tape.

It really looked like he wanted to casually skate with the guy since he'll probably cut across to make somewhat of a fancy dangle move to score and completely forgot about the fact, that this is the freaking NHL where you have to take that guy and physically drive him out of the slot, when you don't have a chance for a poke.

Okay so he had one really bad game. Not sure why one single awful game by a player would make a fan rant about him that way ... except you just don't like him and have waited for it to happen to "finally let this out".

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Glad I PVR'd it so I could ff over it. I hope they are all embarassed and ashamed. Possibly the worst game by the Jets since Noel was the coach.

Trade em all! Start over. ****!

yeah welcome to the club guys :laugh:

I was at my gf's place over the weekend so I was just as happy as you guys about having that one watched on a replay.

yikes what an awful game. The Habs didn't even need to play well. We pretty much handed them a 4 goal lead and then it was over anyway. It's considerably bad to me because we actually had the chance to avoid a Price show. You don't play the freaking Habs without Price and **** the bed like that.

I'm surely a Burmistrov defender because I see all the things he does right, ESPECIALLY in his defensive zone and when he needs to play the D spot for someone pinching ... but that was by faaar his worst game of the season. I hope Maurice really gives it to him about the goal he just pretty much gave up all himself on tape.

It really looked like he wanted to casually skate with the guy since he'll probably cut across to make somewhat of a fancy dangle move to score and completely forgot about the fact, that this is the freaking NHL where you have to take that guy and physically drive him out of the slot, when you don't have a chance for a poke.

Okay so he had one really bad game. Not sure why one single awful game by a player would make a fan rant about him that way ... except you just don't like him and have waited for it to happen to "finally let this out".

Ok guilty as well. I watched about 5 minutes of the first period with my son and recognized the look from the Noel era and thought this is going to be ugly tonight so I put the kids to bed checked the score and hit delete. We are going to have a few howlers in a season that I prefer not to witness.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Agree gjf. Nice to see unbiased opinions. Like you I'm a fan of his but his game was bad today. But for some to be almost gleeful in celebrating that fact..... And to pretend he hasn't been mostly solid this year just shows who is able to accurately assess performance and who just stick to their preconceived notions.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't know if I'd necessarily say that Burmistrov has been bad this year. I do think it's time to acknowledge that Burmi-Lowry-Stafford has been a bit of a joke as a shutdown line, and whatever notion there was that Burmistrov would carry that line hasn't come to fruition.

Maurice should really start giving some tougher assignments to PSE. Have a Lowry-Petan-Stafford line take on the soft minutes that PSE are currently taking, and then go with a fourth line of Copp-Burmi-Thorburn.

Agree across the board Hank. Though I wasn't expecting Burmi to carry the 3rd, I was hoping for better play.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Didn't like the lazy backchecks by Buff. Even in a tough game like this, one of your 'leaders' can't give a half a$$ effort.

Not a great showing by most of the d, though. Poor pinches all over the ice.

Agreed. If possible, I thought our defense was even worse than the forwards last night.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Burmi has been bad all year? At what? Scoring without an empty net? :laugh: I'm never seized to be amaZed by some stuff said on this board. :laugh:

K just had to comment on this - "I'm never seized to be amazed?" Was that some sort of weird smart phone spell correct typo? I hope so cuz if you're walking around saying "I'm never seized" people are gonna think you're an idiot! :D I never cease to be amazed at the strange things spell correct comes up with! :D

I pvr'd and then did not watch the game like many it seems. Dud. Now we get to see if this nice start to the season is just a house of cards about to come crashing down...there are some signs that it may be. :(

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
some very simple mistakes. Two preventable goals on plays where players ended up below the goal line even though the puck was in the slot. I don't think some peeps were mentally prepared to play last night, whatever the reason.

Up and at them!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So far this loss appears to be the fault of a 3rd line winger, bad coaching and not signing Lee Stempniak.

For those of you keeping score at home.

Correction - a fourth line winger playing on the third line for too long. :sarcasm:

Your post reeks of sarcasm. That's cool. We had a bad game all around. But this is what we do when we get our butts handed to us. We look at what happened in the game, and then we lament at what we should have done in Chevy's summer of nothing.

This is the kind of game, against an elite speed and skill team, that really gives you a chance to see your weaknesses staring you in the face. Our D couldn't handle their speed, but kept jumping up or pinching giving up odd man rushes. I guess you can keep doing that all game long - if you are going to give up 5 goals, why not give up 10 or 15. Burmi was awful as usual. There are other reasons why we lost, like an ineffective forecheck, or if you want to really over simplify, not scoring enough goals, but those are two big ones.

Oh yeah and Stempniak was a gift for NJ. Some of us would have liked to keep him.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I actually never said he was great. Thanks.

And to suggest it's that simple, is an insult to anyone who coaches, analyzes, etc hockey. Burmi moved down because he had his worst game this year and the team as a whole looked like crap. Certain other players showed improvement and promise and were given a chance. It's partially circumstantial. But you don't look at it like that clearly...

Burmi has had ups and downs this year just like many other players on our team. No he is not scoring, but neither has Lowry. Yet because of styles, nationalities, a couple turnovers, etc, one is given the benefit of the doubt, and the other is perceived to be bad in general. But that could also have to do with the fact that some perceived others' expectations of Burmi to be higher than what was intended.

Burmi has only played 12 games under Maurice. I think a little patience is more than warranted. It'll take some coaching but to me it looks like he has some KHL type habits that need to be weeded out of him. There are times where simplicity would be more helpful for him then always trying to make something out of nothing. He's just not there.

He has been very good defensively for the most part but there are growing pains just like we've had with other players. Lowry for one. He has had plenty of chances offensively but being half a step away from a rebound for a tap doesn't make him bad. Maybe a bit unlucky or just without scoring instincts.

If my post was an oversimplification, it was because it was in response to a post that was an oversimplification.

Burmi has not been very good defensively. And he has the second worst corsi on the team. Lowry has not been great because he has a boat anchor on his line - Burmi is russian for boat anchor.

Look, it's not Burmi's fault that he is bad. He played two years in the KHL. That will ruin just about anyone for the NHL. But the experiment isn't working. Move him to the fourth line where his minutes and damage to the team will be minimized. I know Petan isn't a great alternative. But this is what drives the discussion into - how the hell did we end up with the choice of Burmi or Petan on the third line - oh yeah - Chevy's summer of nothing. Let Stemper go. Don't sign fro. I don't even like Tlusty but he would be a good alternative. To another posters point - why give up picks for these guys and then let them walk for a song (Stemp and Tlusty). So that's why it keeps popping up. Because we have a glaring weakness on the third line. And our forth line is once again the least minutes forth line in the NHL. That was supposed to be addressed in the off season as well.

In the grand scheme of things, one game doesn't matter. Two points is lost at 5-1 or 25 -1. On to Toronto.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is Mark Stuart the most inept player in the league at getting his shot through to the front of the net? He seems to get most of his shots blocked or deflected, and whiffs on a high percentage of shot attempts.

It's another pet peeve lingering from the hot mess last night....

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I get the feeling this team will be ready to play against the Leafs.

But then could struggle the next night against the Sens.

Don't think we'll see a poor effort like Sunday for awhile.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
It was one loss guys - every team has a couple really bad flops and routs, this won't be our last one this season.

They came out flat and got beat up, if it happens the next game we should be concerned. But as fans we need to be realistic that these types of games will happen from time to time.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I get the feeling this team will be ready to play against the Leafs.

But then could struggle the next night against the Sens.

Don't think we'll see a poor effort like Sunday for awhile.

Yes i agree with all of that. All things considered I'm ok giving them a pass for last night, but maybe they need to be re-thinking their approach to b2b games.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
anyone have a link to the Buff hit on Gallagher that will likely get him suspended?

LOL, if Buff isn't allowed to hit anyone because of his size, we might as well just trade him now. Every time he hits someone apparently he's going to get suspended. The replay clearly showed that within a half a second of having the puck, Buff hit him cleanly with his shoulder. The His elbow came up ever so slightly after the hit.

I was going to come here to say this actually so I'm glad it came up. This game is becoming more and more about speed and skill. We really have to do something about the love of big slow guys on this team. Big fast players are awesome, but man we have some pylons.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Frolik was asking too much money and/or term and if I am not mistaken, signed for less with the Flames.

You are mistaken. Chevy could've had him at 4x4 last year, which would now be 4x3. Highly doubtful (impossibly doubtful) that Chevy's offer this year was higher than 4.3x5.

Stemp, if I remember correctly, wanted term.

The year before maybe. But not this year when he was scratching around for a training camp tryout.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We struggle against smaller, faster skilled teams liken the Habs, Islanders, Ottawa, Tampa.

These teams do not engage us physically so we end up trying to compete with their skill and speed. While last night was garbage in, garbage out, we still need to understand a system that allows us to compete against these types of teams without having to revamp our game to tailor theirs.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We struggle against smaller, faster skilled teams liken the Habs, Islanders, Ottawa, Tampa.

These teams do not engage us physically so we end up trying to compete with their skill and speed. While last night was garbage in, garbage out, we still need to understand a system that allows us to compete against these types of teams without having to revamp our game to tailor theirs.

Absolutely agree. Different systems for different team types. Sending Peluso out at all against a team like the Habs is a recipe for disaster. He has no one to fight and the opposition can all skate well enough to avoid him.

The same goes for quite a few of our players, just too slow for some of the faster teams. We match up well with the bigger, slightly slower teams, but we need to adjust depending upon the team we are facing.

The 'strategy' of constantly trying to keep possession by skating back into our own zone or trying to take our time in our own zone is insane against a speedy team. We were doing great at turning the puck up ice immediately and getting lots of shots on net for a few games, but I don't know what turned us around last night...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad