Confirmed with Link: Jets re-sign Connor Hellebuyck on a six-year, $37M contract ($6.167M AAV).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Both Holtby and Hellebuyck had two 40+ game seasons under their belts at the time of signing their long-term deals. If I'm not mistaken, the first two years of this deal of Helle's are his final RFA years (he'll be 27 when the 2020-21 season begins), which was also the case with Holtby's deal (this past year was his first UFA year after turning 27 on September 16th, 2016). So technically, Hellebuyck's deal buys out an additional UFA year in at the cost of .067m a year, without taking the change in cap into account.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Why couldn't he wear number 31. That sounds better then a 37 million dollar contract

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why couldn't he wear number 31. That sounds better then a 37 million dollar contract
5x6.2? :)

Come to think of it, Tampa is royally f***ed with Vasilevskiy. Feel free to quote me when Vasilevskiy signs a 8x1.1M deal next July.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
The level of ignorance on the mainboard is unreal. "I don't know anything about him but this contract is bad " I can rarely even stand reading it anymore. I like the contract.There is a bit of risk but there is also a chance it is a steal.I think the risk is probably the same with almost every goaltender.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
It's a gamble. Do you not remember the Pavelec contract? We have a very small sample size of Helle.

I remember that contract going out after a .905 year, yeah. This is going out after a Vezina nomination.

I was figuring it'd be 6x6 so nice deal imo.

Chevy: "Okay Connor, we'll give ya 6x6 for 36 million total, what do you think?
Hellebuyck: *coughs* *points to number on back of jersey*
Chevy: "Seriously?"
Hellebuyck's agent: "Did you not give Al Montoya that extra $1,000 because he won that bet about eating 100 Chicken McNuggets in 10 minutes?[*]"
Chevy: *.....*
Hellebuyck: *.....*
Chevy: *scratches out '6'* *writes in '7'*

(* - not necessarily the real reason)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It's a gamble. Do you not remember the Pavelec contract? We have a very small sample size of Helle.
Pavelec did nothing to earn his contract. He never put up Hellebuyck's numbers, and yet received almost $4 million/year contract, which would likely be $5 million/year if you adjust it when compared to the increase in cap space. Helle has really only had once mediocre season in his pro career, and has demonstrated that he is an elite goalie in nearly every league he has played in (since 2011-12).

I have faith in Helle, and believe this is a great signing by the Jets.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Looking at the list of comparables based on %CS, deal looks actually pretty good.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This deal is great. I was only hoping for 5.9 million to penny pinch so we can afford to pay everyone else. Helly deserves this contract and jets deserve a goalie.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Hockey Trivia Time, Inconsistent Goaltending Edition!

1. How many NHL goaltenders accomplished the following in all of the last three seasons:
i) play in at least 30 regular season games each season;
and
ii) league-average sv% or better each season (0.915 for 15-16, 0.913 for 16-17, 0.912 for 17-18)?

2. What are their names?

3. How many Vezina Trophy wins did these goalies combine for
a) in the last three seasons?
b) in their careers?

4. How many playoff series wins did these goalies combine for in the last three seasons?

Solutions:
1. Six.
2. Tuukka Rask, Mike Smith, James Reimer (!), Devan Dubnyk, Frederik Andersen, Roberto Luongo (!!)
3a) Zero.
3b) One (Rask 2014)
4. One (Rask against Toronto in the 2018 playoffs)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is at the high end of what I'd pay a starting goaltender. Hellebuyck's not proven enough for such a deal IMO. It's just one good year... This isn't a deal I would have made personally. But I guess if that's the price to pay to keep him, it's something you have to do...

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
From Sportsnet: "Cap Comparables: Hellebuyck contract could be steal for Jets"

Seriously how can any Jet fan complain about this contract?

In 3 years the average contract for an average goalie will be over $6 million.
It's not his contract but what this does for the team. We have about $ 21. 3 million left and if you take off the $3.7 million in bonus money that could be due, it leaves $17. 4 million to sign 4 forwards and 3 D-man. If Trouba, Morrissey and Poolman get a combined $13 million that leaves a little over $4 million for Lowry, Tanev, Dano and Petan who are all RFA's. So something has to give. That's for this year, wait until next year with Connor, Wheeler, Laine, Myers, Chariot, Morrow and Copp all up for contracts.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
It's not his contract but what this does for the team. We have about $ 21. 3 million left and if you take off the $3.7 million in bonus money that could be due, it leaves $17. 4 million to sign 4 forwards and 3 D-man. If Trouba, Morrissey and Poolman get a combined $13 million that leaves a little over $4 million for Lowry, Tanev, Dano and Petan who are all RFA's. So something has to give. That's for this year, wait until next year with Connor, Wheeler, Laine, Myers, Chariot, Morrow and Copp all up for contracts.

It wouldn't surprise me if that’s the end of the road for Wheeler as a Jet.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Couldn't be more happy with this deal , goaltending is the most important part of any championship team without goaltending you aren't winning shit . The goalie is the most important position , like a QB in football . 6 million a year for one of the best goalies in the NHL who is just starting his prime is a steal . Way to go Chevy !! :clap:

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There's enough room for the Jets to sign:
Trouba @ $6.5M
Morrissey @ $5.0M
Lowry @ $2.75M
Tanev @ $1.0M
Petan @ $0.900M
Poolman @ $0.900M
Dano @ $0.900M

$17.95M - so they eat into the bonus cushion a bit. It's pretty small potatoes. Stuart's cap hit is costing the Jets $583,000 this year and that disappears next season. There's your bonus cushion recovery to finance this. Or they could trade someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad