Confirmed with Link: Jets re-sign Connor Hellebuyck on a six-year, $37M contract ($6.167M AAV).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The Scheif effect. A bunch of contracts with aavs of 6m. Hopefully Trouba is the next on to be inked, 6x6 would be a fair offer.

Solid contract, was willing to live with a 6.5 aav, so 6.2 is fair. While its a bit of a risk with one solid season under his belt, Helly has a very sustainable style of play that should hold up for the length of his contract.

Reactions: Moon Man
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
As a rule, athletes say what they know they should say to promote the team to the community. Sure, some players like it here. Some players have shown they didn't like it here. And you can't deny Winnipeg is a popular choice for the no trade lists.

The teams on a players no trade list changes from year to year. The reason for this is players don't want to get dumped to a loser.

Winnipeg is now a winning team. Whatever bias once existed is gone. Further the teams on these lists is kept under wraps. It's rare for it to be reported.

Winnipeg being "a popular choice" has always been speculative & self loathing Winnipeg fans have always taken it as a slight on the city & the weather. This has never been the case. It's always been about having a winning culture.

Reactions: pictman and JetsUK

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I like it a lot, but part of me is scared when it comes to Chevy and long-term contracts with goalies.

It is scary. Posted a article in another thread from TSN basically saying their is almost no correlation between what a goalie gets paid and their ability to stop the puck.

I'm sure everytime Chevy signs a goalie he's saying to himself... " man I hope this works out"

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Not sure what is being asked here.

Hellebuyck did not go to arbitration last year.

He would have been UFA in 2 years no matter what. If he signed a 1 year deal this year, he would have been 1 year away from UFA next off-season. So even if he signed a one year deal this year then next year went to arbitration the Jets could not have selected a 2 year deal in arbitration, next year's arbitration would have been locked to a 1 year deal. If he had wanted Hellebuyck could have forced UFA in 2 years, but that is not very common and there is little sense that that would have happened. There was no option to sign a "bridge" unless you count a one year deal this summer as a "bridge". Any deal 2 years or longer would have left Hellebuyck as a UFA at the end of the deal.

Yeah that's what I thought. I had seen it suggested elsewhere that he could do a bridge deal or another 1 year deal and the math didn't add up. Thanks.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Mtl's Carey Price $80.4MM for 8 years is the highest paid Goalie. But Helly can stop pucks so...Montreal's willing to make a trade

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah that's what I thought. I had seen it suggested elsewhere that he could do a bridge deal or another 1 year deal and the math didn't add up. Thanks.

Another 1 year deal would have been even riskier for the Jets, IMO. If Hellebuyck goes .918+ this upcoming year the Jets would have had to buy more UFA years with a more proven goalie. Hellebuyck might have been looking at 7+ minimum on a long term deal, hell at that point could probably get a 6+ million dollar arbitration next year. Then Jets go into year with their only real NHL goalie as a pending UFA with little to nothing in the pipeline. And the Jets have Laine, Wheeler, Connor to deal with next year already with far less cap room. That's not even mentioning Myers who the Jets have nearly no chance of re-signing. Putting this deal off a year was not an option.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Good deal, and will look even better in the next few years as Hellebuyck continues to become more and more consistent.
Bridge/short-term deal & arbitration would have ended up costing us more in the long run.
Pavelec comparisons are bizarre imo.

THANKS CHEVY

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It is scary. Posted a article in another thread from TSN basically saying their is almost no correlation between what a goalie gets paid and their ability to stop the puck.

I'm sure everytime Chevy signs a goalie he's saying to himself... " man I hope this works out"

Well Helle over his 3 years in the league is tied for 13th with regards to save percentage among goalies who have played 50% of the teams games. Given that his % of the cap is in that same range he actually is paid for what he has stopped to date. People should be optimistic moving forward that he will at least be in the .917 range. If he consistently plays in around his play last year then this deal will be a bargain.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We can't predict the future, but here's Hellebuyck's past:
2011-12: .930 (NAHL)
2012-13: .952 (NCAA)
2013-14: .941 (NCAA, Won Mike Richter Award as most outstanding NCAA goalie)
2014-15: .921 (AHL)
2015: .948 (IIHF World Championships, bronze medalist, WC All-Star Team)
2015-16: .922 (AHL), .918 (NHL)
2016-17: .907 (NHL)
2017-18: .924 (NHL regular season, Vezina finalist), .922 (NHL playoffs, 3rd best SV% in playoffs (>4 games))

Locking up this guy through his prime for NHL-average starter money is a pretty smart bet.
And yet you wouldn't believe how many wrote him off after one off season learning the nhl game. Some didn't see it as an outlier. Read last year goalie and Helly threads.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Mtl's Carey Price $80.4MM for 8 years is the highest paid Goalie. But Helly can stop pucks so...Montreal's willing to make a trade
Not to be too picky, but it’s actually an $84 mill deal or $10.5 per.

So, no we’ll keep Helle. Good luck in moving that contract though.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Hutch's wedding.
Which has me wondering if we’ll see more deals this week or early next, if guys are in town and the team can meet with them and perhaps their agent to put pen on paper.

They don’t have to be here to sign, but it seems like TN may take the opportunity to do a deal in-person.

Guess we’ll find out.

Reactions: JetsUK

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I have wanted to see sites like CapFriendly use % of cap for a long time. I'd love to see % of cap at signing, and then see them work out a way to see that number change over time as the cap changes.
They have the percentage at time of signing (although not the percentage at the time the contract takes effect, which would also be nice) on each player's page. But it would be nice if they had it on the Players | Active Players page: Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I did it for goalies here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148123109/

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
An underrated part of this signing that I haven't seen anyone post about:

Hellebuyck 6.167
Scheifele 6.125

Scheifele isn't the ceiling for our youngsters.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
And yet you wouldn't believe how many wrote him off after one off season learning the nhl game. Some didn't see it as an outlier. Read last year goalie and Helly threads.
Hey, I'm old enough to remember last offseason! ;)

Hellebuyck's 1 "bad" season would've been Pavelec's 2nd best in terms of SV% while he was in Winnipeg. On top of that, Hellebuyck's .571 win percentage was better than ANY season in Pavelec's entire NHL career. I was amazed that Pavelec got 5 years of rope from some fans and Hellebuyck was getting raked over the coals for putting up the 2nd best SV% and best win% season by a Jets 2.0 starter. Insanity.

Reactions: buggs and Jedub

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
An underrated part of this signing that I haven't seen anyone post about:

Hellebuyck 6.167
Scheifele 6.125

Scheifele isn't the ceiling for our youngsters.
PCATS
Byfuglien: 10.41%
Wheeler: 8.71%
Scheifele: 8.39%
Ehlers: 8.00%
Hellebuyck: 7.76%
Little: 7.06% (previous contract: 7.31%)

Wheeler's actually the ceiling for a Jets RFA signing a long term deal.

Reactions: Moon Man

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
saw some one post this:
663kcvL.jpg

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Last year:
Mason 4.1
Helle 2.25

This year
Helle 6.167
Brossoit .65

Nope. Unless you are adding injury callups, Hutch and Comrie. We could have injury callups this year too. Or are you just including all of Hutch's salary regardless of cap hit?

I was just going off the top of my head lol. I stand corrected. Pretty dang close tho

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad