Post-Game Talk: Jets outscore Habs' one man Armia 6-3

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
For me, maybe the best thing about this game is it reinforced in the Jets players that they do have the ability to come from behind to win. The mental game is a part of the game, so with this belief, the players won't be too down or panic when they get behind. That said, don't make a habit of it Jets!!!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Defense:

Morrissey is clearly not comfortable on his offside and is a bit jittery with Beau. Still I didn't think he was too bad and finished in the positive in all metrics tonight. Beau, what can I say he was awful. Let guys get behind him, bobbled passes, stepped up to throw stupid hits at awful times. Can we stop the experiment with him in the top 4 please. DeMelo should have been moved up.

Pionk and Forbert where once again steady. Forbert was steady and dependable down low, also managed the puck well in his end and in the offensive end. Pionk was back driving offense well and jumping up into the play. He was on point on his breakouts and steady in his end.

Niku played his best NHL game tonight. His breakouts where clean and crisp and he showed some nice offensive instincts jumping up. I also thought he was passable in his own end. DeMelo with a strong steady positional game. That is more like it be him.

Special teams were mostly good tonight. The PP generated a lot of good looks and shots. I also really liked the movement tonight. The PK was sound outside Beau's colossal brain fart.

first, the PP: i don't get why Dubois is on the left side for the PP. they kept on feeding him the puck and, man, he looks more comfy shooting from the right than the left side. i think that was the shift prior to him scoring?

D: look, it would seem reactionary to shit on Beaulieu. i would LOVE to see his metrics from tonight. He was to blame for 2 of the goals. he SHOULD have been penalized for clearing the puck over the glass. he had one other bad play in our zone that gave the Habs a great scoring opportunity. enough with him already. fire him to the sun.

Niku: look, he didn't look bad or make too many flubs. his zone exit pass resulted in a Jets' goal. in his own zone, i still feel like he gets lost a bit. doesn't seem to have amazing puck instincts in our zone or good balance after he's checked and the puck goes in the opposite direction. there's a 2-mississippi count between him seeing the puck reversing directions and being 10 ft away from him and him going for it (and going hard).

that said...kudos to Niku for playing like he did after, what, 3 weeks since his last game action? i do feel bad for the kid and i think he can be a valuable asset to the team if he plays to his strengths and can work on his weaknesses. but that's a big ask.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
And people were scared of Montreal, pfffffft

We did have trouble with Montreal in the past, but that was without 2 strong -- 2 way players. Now that we have Stastny, and especially PLD we are a different team, and a lot better defensively. PLD was just what this Jet's team needed. A great, and big, 200 ft player.

I think we'll have the edge on Montreal going forward now, with these 2 guys in the lineup. We are a "different" and more complete team.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
ED91604C-209B-4262-89A5-471B4550D50D.jpeg
C63474A3-A2C1-49FF-A119-A11953DE42E2.jpeg
Just checked the Habs’ boards..
Some interesting comments about the Jets..and Leafs..:popcorn:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
first, the PP: i don't get why Dubois is on the left side for the PP. they kept on feeding him the puck and, man, he looks more comfy shooting from the right than the left side. i think that was the shift prior to him scoring?

D: look, it would seem reactionary to shit on Beaulieu. i would LOVE to see his metrics from tonight. He was to blame for 2 of the goals. he SHOULD have been penalized for clearing the puck over the glass. he had one other bad play in our zone that gave the Habs a great scoring opportunity. enough with him already. fire him to the sun.

Niku: look, he didn't look bad or make too many flubs. his zone exit pass resulted in a Jets' goal. in his own zone, i still feel like he gets lost a bit. doesn't seem to have amazing puck instincts in our zone or good balance after he's checked and the puck goes in the opposite direction. there's a 2-mississippi count between him seeing the puck reversing directions and being 10 ft away from him and him going for it (and going hard).

that said...kudos to Niku for playing like he did after, what, 3 weeks since his last game action? i do feel bad for the kid and i think he can be a valuable asset to the team if he plays to his strengths and can work on his weaknesses. but that's a big ask.

I think he should be in the Stastny spot on the number 1 unit. I think his size/shot and hands would be quite good there.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think he should be in the Stastny spot on the number 1 unit. I think his size/shot and hands would be quite good there.
if the #1 unit's producing, i have no qualms keeping it as is, nor do i have an issue with him on #2 if #2 will get closer to 1 min of PP time.
not 100% positive if/what Stastny brings to #1. i'm also thinking that the Wheeler down low is getting picked up on too easily.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts...

13-55-26 Scheifele stays red hot, and Wheeler is heating up. Lots more jump for Wheels. Dubois still looks a bit rusty, but he showed a lot of smarts and good board play.

81-25-27 This line is really humming. A couple of poor plays trying to go cross ice, but I love their creativity. Stastny is a great complement for the speedy wingers.

9-17-22 Huge shutdown game and generated some good chances. Dominant PK play by Copp and Lowry.

85-11-23 Loving Perreault right now. Really an asset. Lewis is string. Thompson was fine.

24-4 Stronger game from Forbort. Pionk with another really strong game. Great puck movement in transition.

88-44 Why? Why? Why? Beaulieu is just a disaster waiting to happen. His whiff on the PK rush was spectacular.

8-2 Niku's best game as a Jet? I think it might have been. Everything he did was sharp. Wonderful stretch pass to set up the Connor goal. DeMelo was terrific. Very sharp.

Hellebuyck was fine. Didn't have much to do after the first.

Really good overall game from the Jets, other than a couple of lax plays early.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
if the #1 unit's producing, i have no qualms keeping it as is, nor do i have an issue with him on #2 if #2 will get closer to 1 min of PP time.
not 100% positive if/what Stastny brings to #1. i'm also thinking that the Wheeler down low is getting picked up on too easily.

I liked that Morrissey was shooting more on it tonight and that Wheeler was getting his stick on them. That will open up some other plays. Stastny seems to win the draw quite well but then doesn't really do much imo outside of stand infront of the net. He also isn't great at getting his shot off quick when Wheeler gets the puck to him.

Reactions: HannuJ

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Quick thoughts...

13-55-26 Scheifele stays red hot, and Wheeler is heating up. Lots more jump for Wheels. Dubois still looks a bit rusty, but he showed a lot of smarts and good board play.

81-25-27 This line is really humming. A couple of poor plays trying to go cross ice, but I love their creativity. Stastny is a great complement for the speedy wingers.

9-17-22 Huge shutdown game and generated some good chances. Dominant PK play by Copp and Lowry.

85-11-23 Loving Perreault right now. Really an asset. Lewis is string. Thompson was fine.

24-4 Stronger game from Forbort. Pionk with another really strong game. Great puck movement in transition.

88-44 Why? Why? Why? Beaulieu is just a disaster waiting to happen. His whiff on the PK rush was spectacular.

8-2 Niku's best game as a Jet? I think it might have been. Everything he did was sharp. Wonderful stretch pass to set up the Connor goal. DeMelo was terrific. Very sharp.

Hellebuyck was fine. Didn't have much to do after the first.

Really good overall game from the Jets, other than a couple of lax plays early.
Agreed 100%

PLD shows some low key moments of brilliance, especially with regards to puck protection along the boards

Once he's up to game speed he's gonna be even more of a beauty

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For me, maybe the best thing about this game is it reinforced in the Jets players that they do have the ability to come from behind to win. The mental game is a part of the game, so with this belief, the players won't be too down or panic when they get behind. That said, don't make a habit of it Jets!!!
I think the Jets players already had the confidence in their ability to come back since even before this game they were already among the league leaders in coming back down in the 3rd. When you have that much talent the game is almost always in reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad