Post-Game Talk: Jets outscore Habs' one man Armia 6-3

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Quick thoughts...

13-55-26 Scheifele stays red hot, and Wheeler is heating up. Lots more jump for Wheels. Dubois still looks a bit rusty, but he showed a lot of smarts and good board play.

81-25-27 This line is really humming. A couple of poor plays trying to go cross ice, but I love their creativity. Stastny is a great complement for the speedy wingers.

9-17-22 Huge shutdown game and generated some good chances. Dominant PK play by Copp and Lowry.

85-11-23 Loving Perreault right now. Really an asset. Lewis is string. Thompson was fine.

24-4 Stronger game from Forbort. Pionk with another really strong game. Great puck movement in transition.

88-44 Why? Why? Why? Beaulieu is just a disaster waiting to happen. His whiff on the PK rush was spectacular.

W
8-2 Niku's best game as a Jet? I think it might have been. Everything he did was sharp. Wonderful stretch pass to set up the Connor goal. DeMelo was terrific. Very sharp.

Hellebuyck was fine. Didn't have much to do after the first.

Really good overall game from the Jets, other than a couple of lax plays early.

I just don't get it, I really don't. Morrissey must be having nightmares about having to play with him on his offside.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I don’t know if it’s just me paying more attention to it... but natural stat trick had high danger chances 11-6 Montreal at 5v5.

Is there anyone who watched this game and felt that the Habs had nearly twice as many chances as the Jets?

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Perry gave Ehlers a cross check as he was crossing the blue line and Ehlers did not like that.
ou2HxFW.mp4

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I liked that Morrissey was shooting more on it tonight and that Wheeler was getting his stick on them. That will open up some other plays. Stastny seems to win the draw quite well but then doesn't really do much imo outside of stand infront of the net. He also isn't great at getting his shot off quick when Wheeler gets the puck to him.
they haven't had many of those quick low-slot opportunities available. i feel like teams are cheating on Wheeler and preventing that pass. so yeah, it's making Statsny a bit useless. that said, other than Dubois, i'm not 100% sure what i'd like to see out there. Scheifele and Connor have the shot. Wheeler's the passer. zone entry seems to be good as of late. and the Jets aren't looking to try to score much from the point, so having a clapper on point isn't a must.

Reactions: surixon

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
first, the PP: i don't get why Dubois is on the left side for the PP. they kept on feeding him the puck and, man, he looks more comfy shooting from the right than the left side. i think that was the shift prior to him scoring?

D: look, it would seem reactionary to shit on Beaulieu. i would LOVE to see his metrics from tonight. He was to blame for 2 of the goals. he SHOULD have been penalized for clearing the puck over the glass. he had one other bad play in our zone that gave the Habs a great scoring opportunity. enough with him already. fire him to the sun.

Niku: look, he didn't look bad or make too many flubs. his zone exit pass resulted in a Jets' goal. in his own zone, i still feel like he gets lost a bit. doesn't seem to have amazing puck instincts in our zone or good balance after he's checked and the puck goes in the opposite direction. there's a 2-mississippi count between him seeing the puck reversing directions and being 10 ft away from him and him going for it (and going hard).

that said...kudos to Niku for playing like he did after, what, 3 weeks since his last game action? i do feel bad for the kid and i think he can be a valuable asset to the team if he plays to his strengths and can work on his weaknesses. but that's a big ask.
Couldnt agree more. Great analysis.

Reactions: HannuJ

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I think the Jets players already had the confidence in their ability to come back since even before this game they were already among the league leaders in coming back down in the 3rd. When you have that much talent the game is almost always in reach.
Yes, but by continuing to come from behind to win, it reinforces that mentality. But, Jets still shouldn't make a habit of it...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
they haven't had many of those quick low-slot opportunities available. i feel like teams are cheating on Wheeler and preventing that pass. so yeah, it's making Statsny a bit useless. that said, other than Dubois, i'm not 100% sure what i'd like to see out there. Scheifele and Connor have the shot. Wheeler's the passer. zone entry seems to be good as of late. and the Jets aren't looking to try to score much from the point, so having a clapper on point isn't a must.

Exactly, they are really working at opening the seam play both ways between Conner/Scheifele. The secondary plays seem to be Morrissey/Wheeler tieing Conner up from the point/down low.

Reactions: HannuJ

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Exactly, they are really working at opening the seam play both ways between Conner/Scheifele. The secondary plays seem to be Morrissey/Wheeler tieing Conner up from the point/down low.
going back to the past 2 years, it's been zone entry that was our PP's achilles heel. to be honest, i haven't been paying detailed attention on what they're doing this year to get zone entry vs last year's problems.
i do think that the lack of creativity on the PP is similar to what bit the Leafs last season. lots of talent, but shit got predictable. yes, we know Wheeler's the primary assist guy. yes, we know the Jets love the cross-seam pass, which is hard to pull off successfully and may eventually lead to some short-handed 2 on 1s. all teams know it's coming.
we know Maurice isn't much of a leader when it comes to coaching. but i wouldn't mind starting Ehlers' unit as PP1 once in a while to switch things up. Ehlers brings different zone entry and control. do i like our PP2's puck movement once in the zone? not really. they looked to be behind the 8 ball for lots of the zone time and just moving the grenade around before it exploded. but teams will be all over our PP soon enough. and that will be worrying.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
I must give this game 4 and 1/2 Luc Stamps of Approval. (Agreeing with Rad Guy rating)

Great international game. Awesome French connection goal by Pierre-Luc Dubois on the setup by Perreault!

I would have given this game the full 5 Luc Stamps of Approval if our mighty Dutch boy had destroyed Perry but I love the effort he showed in that battle. (I wonder if Chariot gives Perry free tattoos in the Montreal dressing room).

Beautiful stretch pass by Finnish Niku setting up the international game of tic-tac-toe between
Ehlers - The Flying Dane , Stastny - Quebec born to Slovakian dad Peter the Great, with the nice finish
(starts and ends with finnish) by our favourite farm boy KFC - American via Shelby Township .

upload_2021-2-25_22-17-55.png
upload_2021-2-25_22-17-55.png
upload_2021-2-25_22-17-56.png
upload_2021-2-25_22-17-56.png
upload_2021-2-25_22-18-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-25_22-20-14.png
    upload_2021-2-25_22-20-14.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad