Value of: Jets open cap space

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I still see the Jets adding to the team. Not a retail type deal, but more of a hockey deal or for a non-rental. A "shakeup" if you will.

Hockey deal? Heck yes if possible, but it has to be a long term solution.

Rental deal? Heck no, if Chevy went out now and traded prime assets for rental solutions I think the city would riot. Horrible idea

Reactions: Total Cure

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
"Home town hero Steen" ( 1 full year left at 5.75M caphit) + 1st + 2nd + Sanford for Big Buff (pending him actually playing again this year...)

Edit: Not that my post was anything serious, but I didn't see the thread where the Jets and Buff are looking to mutually terminate the contract, I thought they were still going to trade him some how...

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
That defense scares no one in the league Hellebuyck has done an amazing job with what he has in front of him. Wheelers contract is a boat anchor and makes him pretty much untradeable. The defense is not going to be a quick fix while you may be able to get a 3-4 type guy in F/A you really need to replace both top parings that is all nut impossible without trading one or two of the valuable forwards leaving holes there. Then there is the 1C issue. The team is in a tough position and firing Paul Maurice is not the answer firing the GM would be warranted. Maurice has done more with this team than any other coach available out there. Sure Lavi is out there but do you really think he is an upgrade??? Somehow solidify the D and the team could contend to make the playoffs but not make much noise. The goaltending is still young so there is time to rebuild the D and look for that 1C probably not what many would like to hear but that's where the team is.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
That defense scares no one in the league Hellebuyck has done an amazing job with what he has in front of him. Wheelers contract is a boat anchor and makes him pretty much untradeable. The defense is not going to be a quick fix while you may be able to get a 3-4 type guy in F/A you really need to replace both top parings that is all nut impossible without trading one or two of the valuable forwards leaving holes there. Then there is the 1C issue. The team is in a tough position and firing Paul Maurice is not the answer firing the GM would be warranted. Maurice has done more with this team than any other coach available out there. Sure Lavi is out there but do you really think he is an upgrade??? Somehow solidify the D and the team could contend to make the playoffs but not make much noise. The goaltending is still young so there is time to rebuild the D and look for that 1C probably not what many would like to hear but that's where the team is.

Are you implying that Scheifele isn't a 1C?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Then there is the 1C issue. The team is in a tough position and firing Paul Maurice is not the answer firing the GM would be warranted... The goaltending is still young so there is time to rebuild the D and look for that 1C probably not what many would like to hear but that's where the team is.

Are you implying that Scheifele isn't a 1C?

If Scheifele isn't a 1C then what the hell does 1C mean?
I'll assume you meant 2C.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
As usual, give us good stuff without us giving up anything as value. Ho hum. From the comment it sounds like Jets fans are like those people who join hockey pools and quit when they're not in first place a week in, so fine, take draft picks so good teams can unload bad contracts on you so they can take part in the deadline and play for something.

What are you talking about?
People are getting off track.
The OP was what is the value of our open cap space?
Not what can we trade our top 6 forwards for.

The Jets are in tough to make the playoffs this year but anything can happen.
The general sentiment from Jets fans is do what they can with that cap space.
If they trade for someone make sure it's a longer term solution.
The real fixes likely come this summer.
The majority of Jets core is signed to 2024 and the team is very young.

Management needs to contend within that window and it's unlikely going to be this season because of the injuries and Buff situation.

No one has suggested anything that really lines up with the point of the thread.

Can the Jets leverage assets from their cap space and or can they add a top 4 D at the deadline. Deadline prices are likely not that conducive to these types of moves. A trade prior to the draft or a UFA signing is likely the only time that Winnipeg can get a good player at a good / fair price.

We just don't want to see another 1st round pick shipped out unless it's for a player that is guaranteed to help us for many seasons.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
About Petry for Heinola + 2rd

Chevy says no .....

images

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Chevy

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think the offers to the Jets should be teams looking to dump a large cap hit and willing to give up a good player to do so. Similar to how the Jets gave up Mason to remove the cap hit but also included Armia.

Reactions: hn777

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
About Petry for Heinola + 2rd

Heinola was arguably our 2nd best D-man when he played. And he was 18. If we wanted a warm body to toss into the NHL, we would throw him back in and burn a year off his ELC instead of trading away his contract rights to do the exact same thing for only one year.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Would any Jets fans be interested in Justin Faulk? (Assuming he'd waive his NTC to go to Winnipeg).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
"Home town hero Steen" ( 1 full year left at 5.75M caphit) + 1st + 2nd + Sanford for Big Buff (pending him actually playing again this year...)

Edit: Not that my post was anything serious, but I didn't see the thread where the Jets and Buff are looking to mutually terminate the contract, I thought they were still going to trade him some how...
Umm. ... you are joking right? a 1st and a 2nd for a guy who might not even want to play hockey anymore?

Reactions: Jets4Life

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Haha!

As a jets fan...
Heinola + perrault
For
Petery + KK

Isnt terrible

I believe this is bad for the Habs, sure Heinola has shown promise and KK had a bad season but not to the point where Heinola has become more valuable than KK and Petry is way more valuable than Perreault who is a cap dump ;)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
jets looking to upgrade D
off the table are good players, top prospects, 1st rd picks

but hey take matthew perrault + a B prospect!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad