Value of: Jets open cap space

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
With the possibility of cap space now opening up in the Buff situation. Jets could improve there defense going forward. As well adding some toughness in the line up. What would be available
Players off the table in a trade are
Heinola, Roslovic, Ehlers, Laine, Shief, Morrissey, Pionk, Wheeler. 1st Round pick in 2020, Gustufsson, Vesalainen

What would be available?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I still believe Petry makes a lot of sense if the cap space is there, quite sure MTL could even retain / take a cap dump.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
A lot of us Jets fans think the season is a write-off given our roster situation and injuries. We're lacking a (real) 2C and 3C and most of a blue-line, grit and size. No single trade can fix that. Next year is already looking better, but we are absolutely not in a position to be trading valuable young, long-term assets like Connor. Certainly not for a player that is of lower caliber, either.

We could trade Kulikov to a contender for whatever he's worth, maybe Brossoit and Perreault as well. But the forward roster of Scheifele/Laine/Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor/Little/Lowry/Copp probably isn't going anywhere. I'd love to dish Wheeler and Little, but there would be no takers.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can see Lowry being of interest to the Leafs. But otherwise, the rest of the Jets roster are nothing to write home about.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A lot of us Jets fans think the season is a write-off given our roster situation and injuries. We're lacking a (real) 2C and 3C and most of a blue-line, grit and size. No single trade can fix that. Next year is already looking better, but we are absolutely not in a position to be trading valuable young, long-term assets like Connor. Certainly not for a player that is of lower caliber, either.

We could trade Kulikov to a contender for whatever he's worth, maybe Brossoit and Perreault as well. But the core of Scheifele/Laine/Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor/Little probably isn't going anywhere. I'd love to dish Wheeler and Little, but there would be no takers.

Kulikov, Broissoit and Perrault have no value. Kulikov and Perrault's contracts would kill any deal with a contender.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

We could trade Kulikov to a contender for whatever he's worth, maybe Brossoit and Perreault as well. But the core of Scheifele/Laine/Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor/Little probably isn't going anywhere. I'd love to dish Wheeler and Little, but there would be no takers.

WPG is 4 points away from a playoff spot, I believe the proper additions to the right spots makes them a true contender. One RHD, one 2C (WPG could get both by trading futures) and you've a really good team. In my opinion, you want to contend as WPG rather than being in the awkward spot where you go the playoffs every two years and end up drafting between 12 and 25.

Not sure why you would like to dish Wheeler the guy still scores a decent amount of points and gives everything he has to give for the team. :)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I'd rather not use it on a guy who's a UFA after next season.

Well that s the thing, most players available will be in this situation (or even more expensive). I believe two playoff runs is not so bad, it's not like a pure rental, gives you a second shot next year and should make you stronger next season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well that s the thing, most players available will be in this situation (or even more expensive). I believe two playoff runs is not so bad, it's not like a pure rental, gives you a second shot next year and should make you stronger next season.

It's still a one year rental. You haven't checked the standings or watched the Jets in a couple of months if you think it would be TWO playoff runs. The Jets coach today said that rentals for this year don't make sense, so the thinking behind any move is long term. One year next year isn't that.

I'd rather use it in the summer to sign or trade for someone with a bit more term. I like Petry but not his contract status.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This season is over for the Jets.
At this point the Jets need to load up in the off season and get a new coaching staff.

Keep Connor, Schiefele, Ehlers , Laine, Pionk , Morrissey and Hellebuyck as our core.

Move out possibly Kulikov, Roslovic, Perreault or Wheeler.

Reactions: hn777

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Kulikov, Broissoit and Perrault have no value. Kulikov and Perrault's contracts would kill any deal with a contender.

Kulikov is UFA, he's the definition of a rental. He returns a late round pick from a contender who needs to solidify their bottom pairing. Lowry is one of the best 3Cs in the league and isn't going to be made available for peanuts (or at all).

WPG is 4 points away from a playoff spot, I believe the proper additions to the right spots makes them a true contender. One RHD, one 2C (WPG could get both by trading futures) and you've a really good team. In my opinion, you want to contend as WPG rather than being in the awkward spot where you go the playoffs every two years and end up drafting between 12 and 25.

Not sure why you would like to dish Wheeler the guy still scores a decent amount of points and gives everything he has to give for the team. :)

We're on a major slump, the team doesn't show up most nights and we aren't even 33% to make the playoffs as it stands. We would struggle to win 2 games against STL or COL in round 1 because we're so damn inconsistent. Worst PK in the league at home and Hellebuyck's goaltending carries the team most nights. We've paid dearly for C rentals the past 2 years, and it went HORRIBLY last year. We can't keep throwing around 1st rounders on rental 2Cs or we're even more screwed in the future, not to mention a top-pairing RHD, which is what we really need, usually isn't picked up at the trade deadline either. That 1st is a lottery pick that can be put to better use instead of pissing it away for 5 playoff games.

Wheeler is having an awful year, and we have doubts about his leadership qualities. He has the potential to be a 90-point winger but I think there's too much friction with the team to make it happen in Winnipeg anymore.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kulikov is UFA, he's the definition of a rental. He returns a late round pick from a contender who needs to solidify their bottom pairing. Lowry is one of the best 3Cs in the league and isn't going to be made available for peanuts (or at all).

I don't see any contender wasting cap-space on Kulikov unless the Jets are retaining half his cap. He's pretty awful even as a bottom pairing D.

Lowry would be a prime asset to a playoff team. Jet's should sell high if he's available at all.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You can finally afford Kris Russell. You get a bonus of Puljujarvi for eating said cap. What a deal

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Matt Dumba would help the Jets and is signed for the next 3 years. Not sure they'll trade him within the division though.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This season is done due to NHL leading man games missed/Buff surprise. Jets should sell off a few vets for picks and use the new cap space to take on some bad expiring contracts for picks. Time to restock the prospects/picks cupboards. Then rebuild the D this summer via trade/FA.

Reactions: Huffer

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
This season is over for the Jets.
At this point the Jets need to load up in the off season and get a new coaching staff.

Keep Connor, Schiefele, Ehlers , Laine, Pionk , Morrissey and Hellebuyck as our core.

Move out possibly Kulikov, Roslovic, Perreault or Wheeler.
I'd remove Wheeler and add Copp (he of stone hands).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad