Friedman: Jets musings

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The numbers have been crunched numerous times by several posters, and 'peer review' has taken place.

The vast, vast majority agrees on one thing: if all of our important RFAs are to be kept, the only way Stastny fits in is if he takes a one-year deal at a massive discount. A multi-year contract is practically out of question regardless of the salary.
Not exactly. Jets could move Myers and Perreault this season, and Kulikov before next season. Then they'd fit Stastny at a reasonable market value contract.

But I think it's unlikely, given the many pieces involved, and the possibility that Stastny gets an offer or two over market value.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Leafs will take Trouba off your hands, or Myers to help get you the space you need. ;)
is this bizzaro world... leafs fans and jets fans getting along and helping eac other?? lol

what are your offers?

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
is this bizzaro world... leafs fans and jets fans getting along and helping eac other?? lol

what are your offers?

I really had not thought through an offer to be honest, but either or would fill a need.

If we somehow landed Tavares, Nylander could be expendable for someone like Trouba but that doesn't help your cap.

I'm sure we could offer some futures for Myers, as for Trouba not sure what we'd have that would be a good fit for both teams.

What would you be looking at for either?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not exactly. Jets could move Myers and Perreault this season, and Kulikov before next season. Then they'd fit Stastny at a reasonable market value contract.

But I think it's unlikely, given the many pieces involved, and the possibility that Stastny gets an offer or two over market value.
And then there's no defensive depth to speak of.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I really had not thought through an offer to be honest, but either or would fill a need.

If we somehow landed Tavares, Nylander could be expendable for someone like Trouba but that doesn't help your cap.

I'm sure we could offer some futures for Myers, as for Trouba not sure what we'd have that would be a good fit for both teams.

What would you be looking at for either?
Trouba only moves for Matthews, and that's a resounding no. Absolutely no interest in adding any wingers at the expense of our #1D.

As for Myers, a 1st + D prospect has been agreed upon earlier.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Trouba only moves for Matthews, and that's a resounding no. Absolutely no interest in adding any wingers at the expense of our #1D.

Well, then Trouba is a no go.

We have less interest in one year of Myers as it stands now. Maybe at the trade deadline we can see where we are at, but I am a firm believer of not moving 1sts until your season unfolds.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I would sign up for a 1st + mid level prospect for Myers today honestly lol. Trouba is obviously to big a fish to be going after in the trade market.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think the jets will start the season at 74.5 no higher. I think Chevy will have 5 million budgeted for bonuses and injury creep. Last year we started at 67.7 and ended at 74.7, a 7 million dollar rise!

He likely wants to avoid a bonus overage at any cost. This means Stastny walks unless theres serious moves. I dont think just Myers is enough either!

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Just out of curiousity, if Trouba doesn't sign (which is the scenario being discussed here), are you expecting a player of Matthew's calibre in return? ie Eichel, Barkov, Barzal. Do you see any team realistically paying that?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Just out of curiousity, if Trouba doesn't sign (which is the scenario being discussed here), are you expecting a player of Matthew's calibre in return? ie Eichel, Barkov, Barzal. Do you see any team realistically paying that?

I don't see that, but the scenario that "Trouba doesn't sign" isn't realistic to begin with. He's a RFA. What is he going to do, play in the KHL?

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
In my opinion, you would need to give up a 2nd to rid yourself of that contract. Might be worth while to keep Stastny around.

Do you have a comparable for that or did you just arbitrarily decide that would be the cost?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I have no interest in trading him for anything less. If he doesn't want to sign long term, chances are the two parties will go to arbitration either once or twice, and after that, Trouba will become a UFA.

Letting him go for an assortment of prospects and mediocre pieces would immediately take us out of contention for the foreseeable future. If you want to acquire him, the pieces you'll be giving us had better put us right back in there. From the Leafs, Matthews fits the bill, and nobody else comes even close.

Reactions: Snowman

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Pacioretty
Juulsen

for

Myers
Roslovic
Petan

Jets save a million in cap space. Pacioretty fills out their top 6 in Winnipeg. Juulsen gives them a cheap dman on the right side to be behind Byfuglien and Trouba.

Habs solidify their right side of defense and incase Weber isn't 100%. Habs also get a big center along with Petan who will get his chance in Montreal.
Patches doesn’t play top 6 on the Jets. Not a good fit.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
with an abundance of assets would the best move not to be not only to add assets to move mason, as well as myers?

myers is good but overpaid and one year left, if you could internally replace him getting rid of both of these players would be huge.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
with an abundance of assets would the best move not to be not only to add assets to move mason, as well as myers?

myers is good but overpaid and one year left, if you could internally replace him getting rid of both of these players would be huge.
how is myers overpaid. about 5 million in cap space and 3 million in real dollars. top 4 dman on almost every team in the league. sorry myers wont be an add on to entice someone to take mason.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
Let's not debate petan. I think they can fit Stastny if they want . Lots of money coming of the books. Mathias enstrom mason and 1 of trouba or myers. And If the have to Perreault and kulikov could be traded to fit under cap. Think Chevy can get it done.

Yes thise guys are coming off the books but that doesn't mean the jets have a ton of cap available.

Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Armia, Copp, Tanev, Petan, Dano, Morrow, Comrie are all do new deals and don't forget that Wheeler, Connor and Laine are all up for extension next year too.

Jets will need to move out money to keep these guys in the fold. Mason, kulikov and perreault will all need to be moved sooner rather than later and either Big Buff or Myers too and possibly Little once J. Ros is ready to play center with the big club full time.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
Pacioretty
Juulsen

for

Myers
Roslovic
Petan

Jets save a million in cap space. Pacioretty fills out their top 6 in Winnipeg. Juulsen gives them a cheap dman on the right side to be behind Byfuglien and Trouba.

Habs solidify their right side of defense and incase Weber isn't 100%. Habs also get a big center along with Petan who will get his chance in Montreal.
No thanks. Patches is not going to help the jets as much as keeping stastny with Laine and Ehlers would. Plus any deal that includes Ros leaving is a no go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad