Friedman: Jets musings

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
11. The $79.5 million cap will make it tough for Winnipeg to keep Paul Stastny. The key might be offering some kind of draft pick/asset for another team to take Steve Mason. He has one more year at $4.1 million. If they can clear that, we’re in business.

Is it too late to trade for Mason? Maybe add Petan to a potential deal?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Is it too late to trade for Mason? Maybe add Petan to a potential deal?
honestly petan has zero value. lots of teams need starters and mason only has 1 year left they should be able to move him. and honestly I don't believe the jets will be in a cap crunch till next year and mason will be off the books by then so how is trading mason with 1 year left on his deal going to help with statsny's contract multiple years down the road. weather the jets can afford statsny has nothing to do with mason.

Last edited:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Chevy saying "we're not moving Mason" is GM speak for "hell yeah brother, if anyone wants to take this contract on." That said, I doubt anybody would want him. I liked Kulikov for the most part this year but way too much for where he should be playing in the line-up. Perreault will eventually need to go too.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
honestly petan has zero value. lots of teams need starters and mason only has 1 year left they should be able to move him. and honestly I don't believe the jets will be in a cap crunch till next year and mason will be off the books by then so how is trading mason with 1 year left on his deal going to help with statsny's contract multiple years down the road. weather the jets can afford statsny has nothing to do with mason.
I always think Petan has 0 value until i remember Tomas Jurco net a 3rd round pick

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
1 year left and teams are still looking for goalies. Shouldn't be a problem to move him. He's better than last years numbers suggest. Was plagued with injuries so that is a big concern.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
As a Sabres fan I posted this in another thread, but what would it take to get Copp with Mason?
He’s a really solid bottom 6-er

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Our worthless player, Pontus Åberg went for Mark Letestu.. who went for a 4th.
So there is hope that your team can gain a 4th or a 3rd for an awful player.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

If we sign Stastny we're in a cap crunch now. Even if we don't, depending on the RFA's amounts we could still need to move salary this offseason.

And Petan is a PPG 23 year old in the AHL. Regardless of your obvious dislike for him, teams would have interest in him and he probably wouldn't cost much

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
How about something like Meyers + Mason for Mayfield + Griess + 2nd + 3rd. Some things might be interchangeable.
Greiss is a non-starter. We cannot take on his contract.

For Myers, you're looking at your next year's first and then some.

MaritimeHockeyNut

Rehabilitated Troll
Nov 26, 2010
Maritimes
I think if they want to move mason to fit stastny anything less then a 2nd is on the table. But if it was that easy it would of been done already. Because teams have cap. Teams need goalies and teams love picks

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If we sign Stastny we're in a cap crunch now. Even if we don't, depending on the RFA's amounts we could still need to move salary this offseason.

And Petan is a PPG 23 year old in the AHL. Regardless of your obvious dislike for him, teams would have interest in him and he probably wouldn't cost much
Let's not debate petan. I think they can fit Stastny if they want . Lots of money coming of the books. Mathias enstrom mason and 1 of trouba or myers. And If the have to Perreault and kulikov could be traded to fit under cap. Think Chevy can get it done.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I like where you’re head is at, but I just don’t think Petan has a ton of value right now. And 4.1 mill is a lot of coin.

I want you’re 2nd round pick and a b prospect.
Good luck waiting for a pick or a prospect from Chevy. You will grow old before chevy gives you a free asset for a starter. 4.1 million isn't Alot for a starter so if you are a team that needs a starter that's not a big price to pay.

Nov 24, 2006
Count me among the Jets fans that would want Stastny back, but not at the expense of a D. That 6 man D was good as a whole last year, too good to break up IMO. Yes Myers and Kulikov are overpaid relative to their ice time, but the Jets D was solid overall because there was finally 6 NHL quality D on the roster.

Trade Myers, get a long term injury or two on D, and then what? No thanks.

With the Jets prospect winger depth, I'm willing to move Perreault and definitely Mason. Anything more than that, and we need to let Stastny walk.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Pacioretty
Juulsen

for

Myers
Roslovic
Petan

Jets save a million in cap space. Pacioretty fills out their top 6 in Winnipeg. Juulsen gives them a cheap dman on the right side to be behind Byfuglien and Trouba.

Habs solidify their right side of defense and incase Weber isn't 100%. Habs also get a big center along with Petan who will get his chance in Montreal.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Good luck waiting for a pick or a prospect from Chevy. You will grow old before chevy gives you a free asset for a starter. 4.1 million isn't Alot for a starter so if you are a team that needs a starter that's not a big price to pay.

Yeah that's if Mason was a starter. I really don't think he's any more established than an injury prone back up. Listen, I love the Jets and I think they are very well run but 4.1 Million for Mason will be hard to move without adding in some kind of incentive.

For the Jets sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad