Friedman: Jets musings

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
That’s the problem with Mason. The perceived value by other fans is low because they see they injuries and bloated numbers last year.

Jet fans see that and don’t want to trade him away at his lowest value. They see Mason Who was pretty decent with the Flyers, hoping the injuries were bad luck, and his numbers were bloated by two games where his team hung him out to dry. Also there really isn’t much trust in Comrie being ready for this year.

It's not about "lowest value" and bouncing back, we're not expecting to get anything in return. The Jets just don't want to give away assets to trade a decent goaltender who only has one year on his contract. We can hire a backup anytime, but trading Mason is simply a catalyst for a bigger signing. If that doesn't happen, we have no problem riding out the contract.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If he can stay healthy he's an NHL starter. The Jets were hot ass to start the year and only got wins due to an unsustainable Hellebuyck save %. As the Jets massively improved over the year Mason was injured so didn't get much benefit stats wise.

1 year remaining at 4 mil is a cheap option for a team looking for a quality backup or 1B (again, if he can stay healthy). The price would be a later pick and we wouldn't need to package Petan or anything with him, especially considering the UFA goalie market.

Reactions: Tex76

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Three way trade:

Mason (20% retained by Winnipeg) and Brandon Tanev to Carolina for a 5 round pick.

Canes flip Mason and a pick to the Avalanche for Varlamov.

Result

Jets get 3M in cap space and a 5th round pick - lose Tanev, a decent 4th liner. Sign Stastny.

Avs shed 1.5M in cap space/salary, have an expensive no.2 goalie in Mason for 1 season. Grubbauer is the starter.

Canes add Tanev (4th liner) and Varlamov (including his big salary), a proven no.1 NHL goalie and give up only a 5th round pick.
If the Canes are only giving up the 5th rounder to Winnipeg, where does the pick to Colorado for Varlamov come from?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If he can stay healthy he's an NHL starter. The Jets were hot ass to start the year and only got wins due to an unsustainable Hellebuyck save %. As the Jets massively improved over the year Mason was injured so didn't get much benefit stats wise.

1 year remaining at 4 mil is a cheap option for a team looking for a quality backup or 1B (again, if he can stay healthy). The price would be a later pick and we wouldn't need to package Petan or anything with him, especially considering the UFA goalie market.
Totally agree. Even with what you said on petan. We should get a later round pick for him with no strings attached. They could eat 10 or 20% if they absolutely had to but I doubt it.

Reactions: MardyBum

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Three way trade:

Mason (20% retained by Winnipeg) and Brandon Tanev to Carolina for a 5 round pick.

Canes flip Mason and a pick to the Avalanche for Varlamov.

Result

Jets get 3M in cap space and a 5th round pick - lose Tanev, a decent 4th liner. Sign Stastny.

Avs shed 1.5M in cap space/salary, have an expensive no.2 goalie in Mason for 1 season. Grubbauer is the starter.

Canes add Tanev (4th liner) and Varlamov (including his big salary), a proven no.1 NHL goalie and give up only a 5th round pick.
This is stupid.... we don’t save 3mill. We still have to sign another backup, so let’s say we sign one for a mill per. We saved 2mill and lost Tanev for a 5rnder , still not enough for Stats

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
That’s the problem with Mason. The perceived value by other fans is low because they see they injuries and bloated numbers last year.

Jet fans see that and don’t want to trade him away at his lowest value. They see Mason Who was pretty decent with the Flyers, hoping the injuries were bad luck, and his numbers were bloated by two games where his team hung him out to dry. Also there really isn’t much trust in Comrie being ready for this year.

Who cares about value? Didn't cost the Jets any assets to acquire Mason. I'd take an 8th round pick.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Hot mess? Or just ass? "Hot ass" somehow doesn't sound so bad... ? :huh:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Most of you guys were clearly off on Mason's value or lack therof. Habs got a great deal.
no we were not off on masons value. what we were off on was how much multiple concussions this year were scaring off teams. also 20 games. that's what I give armia before he is a healthy scratch. good luck with the 4th round pick but I would be worried knowing the habs record with 1st round picks lately.

Jericho

Oct 1, 2002
Visit site
no we were not off on masons value. what we were off on was how much multiple concussions this year were scaring off teams. also 20 games. that's what I give armia before he is a healthy scratch. good luck with the 4th round pick but I would be worried knowing the habs record with 1st round picks lately.

I swear this post just reads, "No, I was not off on Mason's value". And then the next sentence reads (and yes, I'm paraphrasing) as, "I was off on Mason's value because I didn't account for the concussions and how other teams would value him." And then for good measure you dump on both Armia and the Canadien's draft record, just so we know you weren't off on Mason's value.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I swear this post just reads, "No, I was not off on Mason's value". And then the next sentence reads (and yes, I'm paraphrasing) as, "I was off on Mason's value because I didn't account for the concussions and how other teams would value him." And then for good measure you dump on both Armia and the Canadien's draft record, just so we know you weren't off on Mason's value.
I swear this posts just reads "I called you out and you made an attempt to explain yourself but it's the internet so I am going to hold a message of superiority over your head"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad