OT: Jets Lounge: post a Star Wars spoiler == Infraction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
At the airport!

Crap, sorry man. I was super busy over the weekend. :(

American dollars are what we used and it worked out the best. The tourist parts of Jamaica will do USD mostly. Restaurants around resorts might charged Jamaican dollars but they convert it to a bunch of currencies on the receipt and you can pay with whatever. Having lots of 1 dollar bills was good because we left them as tips at the resort or restaurants.

When you get further away from the resorts and into real Jamaica they will charge Jamaican dollars but you can still ask how much in US dollars.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
everyone knew he was sick. but it was supposedly a heart condition, not cancer. that's the crazy thing.
his Blackstar video's a tough watch when you realize that it's basically his goodbye video. released on purpose right before he died.

He died of cancer dude, and not everyone knew he was sick.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/11/david-bowie-dies-at-the-age-of-69

He had suffered a number of heart attacks during the past year but his cause of death was cancer.

Derfel*

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He died of cancer dude, and not everyone knew he was sick.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/11/david-bowie-dies-at-the-age-of-69

He had suffered a number of heart attacks during the past year but his cause of death was cancer.

i am well aware of how David Bowie died, since i'm not living under a rock or in a city that doesn't have internet. :)

people who are fans of Bowie, such as me, were hearing rumours of his declining health and heart attacks. the heart attack rumour was true. the cancer was a very quietly-kept secret.

I just remember hearing he had been confined to his house at some point last year - that could have been a heart attack, but I had assumed it was cancer. I guess somehow I had it in the back of my mind he was sick.

it started well before last year. his music output went quite silent. 2003 to 2013 gap and then the recent album that dropped.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Ugh...saw this news last night...then I remembered telling the wife the video for Blackstar was odd, and Bowie did not look well...that he was suddenly really showing his age.

I have sung Bowie's version of "Nature Boy" to my son as one of his bedtime songs since he was a baby.

Thanks for dropping the bittersweet going away gift.
I'll perhaps listen to the title track whilst cutting onions.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This was always one of my favourite performances by Bowie. My dad, like almost every man of his generation was a huge Bing Crosby fan and I will never forget how much my dad and mom loved this version of little drummer boy/ Peace on Earth mash up with the oddest of couples. They thought David Bowie looked a bit odd but had a beautiful voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Went to "The Big Short" tonight with a friend and really enjoyed the Movie. I would recommend it.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
am absolutely gutted with the news of David Bowie's passing. Strangely went almost the whole day without hearing about it because I was unplugged from TV, Radio, and the internet pretty much the whole day but I stopped in at a Tim's and there was a group of teenagers and I heard them mention Bowie by name without hearing what they were really talking about and I thought that it was kinda cool these youngins were discussing him (an artist outside their generation) and when I got home I heard the news :(

Tough past little while for me losing some musical faves of mine, first Scott Weiland, then Lemmy, and now Bowie. :cry:

Favourite Bowie song? Tough choice as he was such a genius, I might have to say 'the man who sold the world'

what say some of you?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Favorite Bowie songs - there are many, but I'd put Station to Station, TVC15, Fame and quite a few of his older songs in my list of faves. I even liked some of his more experimental later stuff.

Very saddened by this news, but very happy that his music will always live on. My wife was a huge Bowie fan, and took the news pretty hard.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Gotta go with Life On Mars. That was the first Bowie song I remember hearing outside of a hockey rink, and I have good memories of my dad (HUGE Bowie fan) walking in with a big smile on his face when he heard that I was listening to it (over and over and over again :laugh:).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Space Oddity for me. It got it all going when I was just a kid. It was this cultural punch in the face from this crazy, totally out there, authentic, English, gender bashing talent that was so strange stylistically but his music was transcendent. Even though I was an insecure adolescent kid from Saskatchewan, his musical genius overpowered my fear of the unknown. I feel blessed to have been born "and raised" in his era.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Queen *****.
Ashes to Ashed.
Starman.
Sufragette City (from when i was a kid).
Space Oddity

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
"Under Pressure"

One of the very few performers to have had his entire career on his own terms. Not too many can say that.

And a very gifted actor - "The Prestige", "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" and "Labyrinth" are three outstanding performances in a short but illustrious resume.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Always peripherally liked Bowie. Gotta say I grew up in an era where the image Bowie put forth didn't fly well in the crowd I grew up with. So there was a lot of social pressure to NOT like him or his music. That said, his music spanned the bulk of my childhood and his music was popular/mainstream/big hit from the time I was five until around 23. I saw him at the old stadium in something like 1983 or 1984, don't remember the exact year.

Favorite song probably Space Oddity because it appealed as a young child. Guilty pleasure would be Cat People (Putting out Fire).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad