OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yes this hobbit needs her food.

For real though, after travelling long distance that’s about how my body works. Lots of small meals and bathroom breaks. :laugh:

During that very brief window in my 20s (i.e. when I was single-and-looking) this strategy was pivotal to keeping me in shape. Even if it doesn't actually trick the body (i.e. if 1800 calories a day is still the exact same if it's 3x600 or 6x300) it psychologically made me feel like I was never wanting for food. And it avoided the "eat one meal a day but it's a monster" trap.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dear buggs

I have allot of interest in the emergence of psychedelics in clinically controlled settings to deal with anxiety, depression, PTSD, addiction, and even mild behavior challenges. MAPS has done some very impressive work and the breakthrough results that are happening are really encouraging. Mental health and addictions are a major global challenge so some good news in new treatment methods (FINALLY) is positive.

The reason I asked you is one of the many effective methods in trial is micro-dosing and macrodosing of Psilocybin. Have you been privy to any of the research in this emerging category?

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Dear buggs

I have allot of interest in the emergence of psychedelics in clinically controlled settings to deal with anxiety, depression, PTSD, addiction, and even mild behavior challenges. MAPS has done some very impressive work and the breakthrough results that are happening are really encouraging. Mental health and addictions are a major global challenge so some good news in new treatment methods (FINALLY) is positive.

The reason I asked you is one of the many effective methods in trial is micro-dosing and macrodosing of Psilocybin. Have you been privy to any of the research in this emerging category?
Responded by PM.

Reactions: ps241

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Speaking of drugs, how’s the legal weed going in Canada? I’m not a user myself but I’m curious about how noticeable it is in the street? Are there any stats yet about recreational uptake since legalisation? Has it taken a dent out of regular cigarette smokers? Or are people mostly using privately?

The reason I ask is because one thing I always notice when I travel overseas is how much more prevalent (cigarette) smoking is than at home. For well over a decade now NZ has been working across party lines to become completely cigarette smoke free, and it’s actually working. Hardly anyone smokes inside their homes either.

We’re having more political rumblings of legalisation of cannabis, which would complicate our Smokefree stance quite a bit.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Speaking of drugs, how’s the legal weed going in Canada? I’m not a user myself but I’m curious about how noticeable it is in the street? Are there any stats yet about recreational uptake since legalisation? Has it taken a dent out of regular cigarette smokers? Or are people mostly using privately?

The reason I ask is because one thing I always notice when I travel overseas is how much more prevalent (cigarette) smoking is than at home. For well over a decade now NZ has been working across party lines to become completely cigarette smoke free, and it’s actually working. Hardly anyone smokes inside their homes either.

We’re having more political rumblings of legalisation of cannabis, which would complicate our Smokefree stance quite a bit.

I know people who have done well on the investment side of this new area but as someone who has never purchased weed and is a non user I can’t comment much on the rest of it yet.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

From a strictly opinion point of view it hasn't really changed much. Smokers smoke, weed users aren't always the same. I'd guess most weed users I know don't smoke tobacco. As a sidebar vaping seems to be the cool thing for the "kids" to do these days (15-25).

I'll confess to being naive about legalization. I was all for it thinking it could generate significant tax revenue. I should have known better in that the government would manage to screw it up. I do know lots of people that smoke and they all have tried purchasing through official channels and have, to put it mildly, found it unsatisfactory. So virtually all of them have gone back to their original "seller" and that market remains largely unchanged. From their perspective it is cheaper and better quality. More reliable source as well.

I smell it occasionally on my way to and from work but that's nothing different than pre-legalization. It's nothing like Vancouver which in turn is nothing like Amsterdam (all of Europe smoke me as big tobacco smokers). The laws don't really allow for it out in the open all that much (I don't believe you can spark up on a restaurant patio) so people just haven't really changed their behaviors IMO. The only time I really smell it is at music funtions (concerts, Folk Fest, etc.). I really don't think it changed use patterns all that much either. If you partake you were partaking before. I'm sure there's been a few that have been motivated to try it but for the most part it's not really changing people's behaviors.

I think decriminalization might have been the better option than outright legalization. For the most part police didn't really bother too many about it (especially in Vancouver) for use unless it was blatant and even then it wasn't worth their time to arrest someone.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I had to snip this from a Sun article before someone realizes their oopsie and corrects it.

upload_2019-7-30_9-53-24.png

Oh, the humanity! I'm afraid to venture out on the roads now. :scared:
I mean, seriously. Should not a single synapse fire in the common sense area of the brain as you're typing this statistic in? :shakehead BTW, the actual number of traffic fatalities that year was 73. So...

upload_2019-7-30_10-2-45.png

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

A large part of the stigma attached to weed is the smoke itself and that will likely remain.
Eatables are on their way and I know many are waiting for a reliable controlled source.

We are years away from refining the processes of managing this business including supply and sell efficiencies, and we are also a ways away from social acceptance despite the fact that it is less damaging than booze to youth and adults alike.

Personally, I believe this business will generate significant tax revenue, will have little impact otherwise and eatables will be the trend once introduced in the coming months

Reactions: Robinson2187

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

I still haven't purchased from a licensed shop and there's a good chance I never will. I was using online dispensaries long b4 they legalized it.

The best thing about legalization was giving me the ability to grow my own.:nod:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Time for the annual Avatar change, any suggestions? So far I have had Pokey Reddick, Khabby, Cheveldae, Tabaracci and Essensa. Is it time for Beauregard? I think so.

Reactions: Derfel

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Time for the annual Avatar change, any suggestions? So far I have had Pokey Reddick, Khabby, Cheveldae, Tabaracci and Essensa. Is it time for Beauregard? I think so.

That would make sense. I think I may need to shake it up too.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Please remember that political discussion is not permitted on HFBoards.

4) Threadjacking/OT: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Random thought: one would have thought with the legalization of marijuana that the acrimony on this board would have abated somewhat. It seems the converse is true. Just an observation as I read through threads. Carry on.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
A man and an alligator walk into a bar. The man asks the bartender, “Do you serve lawyers here?”

The bartender responds, “Of course we do, have a seat.”

The man sits down and replies, “Fantastic! I’ll have a Caesar, and my alligator will have a lawyer!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad