Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Saw Star Wars last night, was fun reading the French subtitles along with.

I don’t follow the series closely so I thought it was fine. There were three moments where the people in the audience behind me went PFFFFFFTTTT though, and that made the whole thing hilarious.

There were definitely a couple ridiculous moments that I had to chuckle at :laugh:
Great movie though

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Part of me wants to go see the new Star Wars movie in the theatre just to be "that guy" that waits for the hush to fall over the audience as the movie is about to begin and say in an audible voice...

"I have a bad feeling about this". :nod:

Reactions: Duke749 and mondo3

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Part of me wants to go see the new Star Wars movie in the theatre just to be "that guy" that waits for the hush to fall over the audience as the movie is about to begin and say in an audible voice...

"I have a bad feeling about this". :nod:

this is what you should say

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not a Star Wars guy by any means but I did take my son (now 11) to the last one and I felt it hit the threshold of kind of just good enough to possibly see this newest one. Realistically I doubt we will get around to it but just in case we get really bored over the holidays question?

Is this one suppose to be better or worse than the last one?

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I am not a Starwars guy by any means but I did take my son (now 11) to the last one and I felt it hit the threshold of kind of just good enough to possibly see this newest one. Realistically I doubt we will get around to it but just in case we get really bored over the holidays question?

I'm not a Star wars fan either but my understanding is that the story arc of the final trilogy doesn't flow. And it's the classic too many cooks spoil the broth. There was no consistent artistic vision for the story line. Abrams did the first movie and he set things up for his overall vision. Then, he decided he didn't want to do any more episodes so Rian Johnson was brought in, and he had his own vision of how the story should go and off they merrily went in that direction. The third move was supposed to be helmed by someone else but that didn't work out and Abrams came back to do Rise of Skywalker. And it sounds like he decided to push things back to the story arc he had setup, rather than continue along the path Johnson had created.

This is why I think J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 was the best sci-fi series ever, or at least would have been if the studios hadn't thrown a bunch of uncertainty his way starting with the 4th season. Unlike the usual "let's just make this shit up as we go along" approach to episodic television, JMS had a complete 5-year story arc planned out from the beginning, and wrote almost all of the episodes himself. Interestingly, JMS was one of the first to interact with fans online, and he regularly had to admonish his fan base not to publish their fan-fiction episodes because they might have plot points that paralleled his and then the whole issue of possible plagiarism lawsuits might rear its ugly head.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not a Star wars fan either but my understanding is that the story arc of the final trilogy doesn't flow. And it's the classic too many cooks spoil the broth. There was no consistent artistic vision for the story line. Abrams did the first movie and he set things up for his overall vision. Then, he decided he didn't want to do any more episodes so Rian Johnson was brought in, and he had his own vision of how the story should go and off they merrily went in that direction. The third move was supposed to be helmed by someone else but that didn't work out and Abrams came back to do Rise of Skywalker. And it sounds like he decided to push things back to the story arc he had setup, rather than continue along the path Johnson had created.

This is why I think J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 was the best sci-fi series ever, or at least would have been if the studios hadn't thrown a bunch of uncertainty his way starting with the 4th season. Unlike the usual "let's just make this **** up as we go along" approach to episodic television, JMS had a complete 5-year story arc planned out from the beginning, and wrote almost all of the episodes himself. Interestingly, JMS was one of the first to interact with fans online, and he regularly had to admonish his fan base not to publish their fan-fiction episodes because they might have plot points that paralleled his and then the whole issue of possible plagiarism lawsuits might rear its ugly head.

Great explanation!! thx

In shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders, they seemed to start out with the end in mind and they have a consistent vision with a set time about how things are going to wind down. I can see how easy it would be to screw up Star Wars given your detailed explanation. I have missed most episodes (Movie's) so I don't need them to flow together or be coherent from a story line perspective. If I consume the product it is on a stand alone basis with zero knowledge of how it fits the larger puzzle. With that as the backdrop they are usually a bit meh for me.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Great explanation!! thx

In shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders, they seemed to start out with the end in mind and they have a consistent vision with a set time about how things are going to wind down. I can see how easy it would be to screw up Star Wars given your detailed explanation. I have missed most episodes (Movie's) so I don't need them to flow together or be coherent from a story line perspective. If I consume the product it is on a stand alone basis with zero knowledge of how it fits the larger puzzle. With that as the backdrop they are usually a bit meh for me.

I'm the same way. And my memory for details is terrible so if they've shifted course from the previous movie, I'm the last one that will notice it. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I am not a Star Wars guy by any means but I did take my son (now 11) to the last one and I felt it hit the threshold of kind of just good enough to possibly see this newest one. Realistically I doubt we will get around to it but just in case we get really bored over the holidays question?

Better

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am a big Star Wars fan. I don't hate the new trilogy but I can't say I like what they did.

Technically the movies are a marvel. The effects,sets,costumes,etc..All top notch.

The problem is the story line. They had no idea what they wanted to do and they changed directions so many times it ends up a jumbled mess.

That issue sits squarely on the producer Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams who directed the 1st and 3rd ones. Kennedy disregarded the lore of Star Wars and decided that none of the Expanded Universe counted. Which is a shame because the Heir to Empire trilogy would have made for 3 awesome movies. The next problem is bringing in Abrams who for me is a bit of a hack. Technically a great director, his movies look great but they lack something, he can copy the great directors of the past but for me he fails to bring something new to the table.

Then you have the 2nd movie and Rian Johnson, who just took a big old dump on everything. I can't even imagine how that movie could get made and it just seems like he set out to destroy what came before and he did not do it in a good way either.

Now they are going to sit the movieverse of Star Wars on the shelf for awhile and let he TV side take over. They gave the keys to the Star Wars universe to Marvel's Kevin Feige and I am sure he will plan it out just like he did for the Marvel movies.

Reactions: ps241 and buggs

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I am a big Star Wars fan. I don't hate the new trilogy but I can't say I like what they did.

Technically the movies are a marvel. The effects,sets,costumes,etc..All top notch.

The problem is the story line. They had no idea what they wanted to do and they changed directions so many times it ends up a jumbled mess.

That issue sits squarely on the producer Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams who directed the 1st and 3rd ones. Kennedy disregarded the lore of Star Wars and decided that none of the Expanded Universe counted. Which is a shame because the Heir to Empire trilogy would have made for 3 awesome movies. The next problem is bringing in Abrams who for me is a bit of a hack. Technically a great director, his movies look great but they lack something, he can copy the great directors of the past but for me he fails to bring something new to the table.

Then you have the 2nd movie and Rian Johnson, who just took a big old dump on everything. I can't even imagine how that movie could get made and it just seems like he set out to destroy what came before and he did not do it in a good way either.

Now they are going to sit the movieverse of Star Wars on the shelf for awhile and let he TV side take over. They gave the keys to the Star Wars universe to Marvel's Kevin Feige and I am sure he will plan it out just like he did for the Marvel movies.

As an aside, 7 out of 8 Chapters of the Mandalorian were awesome. Jon Favreau did a fantastic job.

The challenge of the Palpatine-Skywalker movies is the big themes they have to wrestle with...light v dark and trying to reconcile it with control of the galaxy. Mandalorian doesn't have to reconcile that, just deal on a micro level within the timelines.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As an aside, 7 out of 8 Chapters of the Mandalorian were awesome. Jon Favreau did a fantastic job.

The challenge of the Palpatine-Skywalker movies is the big themes they have to wrestle with...light v dark and trying to reconcile it with control of the galaxy. Mandalorian doesn't have to reconcile that, just deal on a micro level within the timelines.

The Mandalorian is doing an excellent job of having ties to the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series but without actually having to have watched those series to enjoy this show. The ending of Chapter 8, I gave out a big fist pump whoop because it had a huge Clone Wars/Rebels payoff for fans. This is due to Dave Filoni being involved in all 3 shows and to be honest, they should give the Star Wars "reins" over to him and Favreau.

It's well written, well paced, well directed. Love it!

Reactions: bustamente

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The Mandalorian is doing an excellent job of having ties to the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series but without actually having to have watched those series to enjoy this show. The ending of Chapter 8, I gave out a big fist pump whoop because it had a huge Clone Wars/Rebels payoff for fans. This is due to Dave Filoni being involved in all 3 shows and to be honest, they should give the Star Wars "reins" over to him and Favreau.

It's well written, well paced, well directed. Love it!

I didn't know if I was going to like the show but after Chapter 1 I was hooked, also this mischievous baby

tenor.gif

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Went and saw the band Toque Friday night , they were really good . All Canadian guys , 1 from Winnipeg , 2 of them play in Slash's other band the Conspirators . They cover all Canadian artists and have a couple of their own tunes sprinkled in . Friday night's show was sold out with the proceeds going to the Mountie's family that was recently killed in a car accident . Check them out on YouTube .

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Went and saw the band Toque Friday night , they were really good . All Canadian guys , 1 from Winnipeg , 2 of them play in Slash's other band the Conspirators . They cover all Canadian artists and have a couple of their own tunes sprinkled in . Friday night's show was sold out with the proceeds going to the Mountie's family that was recently killed in a car accident . Check them out on YouTube .
Where'd you see them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad