Post-Game Talk: Jets lose to that team 4-1, that team still sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't see the game. I noticed he had 3 points tonight. Is he really that bad? Eye test wise.
He missed a few point blank one timers that he's accustomed to making. Ive read he's dealing with some sort of back injury. Remember Laine in 18-19 perhaps that sort of thing is affecting his shooting

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah our offensive generation has been largely non existent. I think they will Improve as the team gets more familiar with the schemes but even then when you dress and play an offensively inept line major minutes you have to hope your top 6 is firing on all cylinders.

I fully expect Kyle and Mark to get going but they need to find a way to drive chances without Ehlers to do it for them.

Second line ince again has looked good but they need much better finish from Blake.

Speaking of Blake he is off to another slow start and we just can't afford that.

I'm a huge Perfetti fan so I'm really happy with his play but if he as a 20 year old rookie is arguably your best forward then a number of players aren't playing well enough.

One other thing we can't afford is poor special teams and our special teams have been poor. Honestly is this coaching staff just using last year's tapes of the mediocre pp we ran? It's exactly the same pp with the same shape, slow and predictable puck and player movement.

If you want a more modern looking PP get Perfetti and Heinola out on PP 1 with Conner and Dubois. Have Scheifele down low and tell him to walk the puck in and shoot. You need motion and and quick puck movement and our pp has none of that. Just real poor coaching.

Looking at the stats the Jets have 3 players currently producing at 1st line caliber in Fly, Dubois and Perfetti. After that we have Wheeler at barely 2nd line caliber, Schiefele and Gus at third caliber and Gagner at good fourth line caliber. The rest are at poor fourth line caliber or have goose eggs next to their name.

Conner has one 5 on 5 assist so far this year, that's not good enough.
Is it reasonable to expect scoring consistency after 5 games?
Coming off a tough mini road trip (3 in 4 nights), it sounds like the assumption is they all should be scoring by now.

Many were hoping we'd come out of the next 10 games with a 5/5 record - considering the competition and schedule to date, this might not be the right time to pick apart the team.
Bones is likely aware of this and his comments reflect that -

The coach missed the first 4, Ehlers is out for a few more, and the team is adjusting to systems and line mates - too early IMO, to call out players or make line up adjustments.

I also get that fan discussion is always going to dive into "what's wrong" when ever they lose or underperform - I do the same but realistically, it's early and we've had to deal with a few curve balls.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
So after 5 games Perfetti has been run from behind in what 3 of them? I hope the kid survives the season.
If he gets no protection they will continue to do it and get him off his game. It's not goon hockey anymore but you can go nail their best prospect and team toughness goes a long way if you actually do it. You can't have teams taking cheap shots at your elite or anyone on your team.
The top6 have to get some decent games under their belt. If guys don't want to play trade them. If things don't change you have to shake sh*t up. A change of chemistry might be what it comes down to.

Reactions: Guardian17

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is it reasonable to expect scoring consistency after 5 games?
Coming off a tough mini road trip (3 in 4 nights), it sounds like the assumption is they all should be scoring by now.

Many were hoping we'd come out of the next 10 games with a 5/5 record - considering the competition and schedule to date, this might not be the right time to pick apart the team.
Bones is likely aware of this and his comments reflect that -

The coach missed the first 4, Ehlers is out for a few more, and the team is adjusting to systems and line mates - too early IMO, to call out players or make line up adjustments.

I also get that fan discussion is always going to dive into "what's wrong" when ever they lose or underperform - I do the same but realistically, it's early and we've had to deal with a few curve balls.

I would expect a bit better finish and consistency from our elite players. They are after all paid to score.

Rewatching the game again and there are plenty of positives with the teams play as well that you can miss when your more emotional.

The teams nz and defensive shape (when they are set) are much better. The team gets in trouble when they are pulled out of their shape as they tend to panic and run around a bit when they happens. I expect that will get cleaned up.

Offensively we pressure better but still are bit out of sync often when we gain control. That should also improve imo.

Really my biggest pet peeves our are special teams and breakouts so far.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The teams nz and defensive shape (when they are set) are much better. The team gets in trouble when they are pulled out of their shape as they tend to panic and run around a bit when they happens. I expect that will get cleaned up.
I thought we looked like the last few seasons when we were lost and floundering around in our zone.
My expectations were that would have been one of the primary areas of concern to address and perhaps they have been working on it?
How many of you are shouting at the TV at that point when the blue line appears to have force field properties and the puck may never leave our zone :laugh:
That’s beyond frustrating and hopefully they figure that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and surixon

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I thought we looked like the last few seasons when we were lost and floundering around in our zone.
My expectations were that would have been one of the primary areas of concern to address and perhaps they have been working on it?
How many of you are shouting at the TV at that point when the blue line appears to have force field properties and the puck may never leave our zone :laugh:
That’s beyond frustrating and hopefully they figure that out or we ALL owe Huddy an apology:naughty:

That's not systems that's poor decision making.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Believe that it`s a little premature to get too "down" on team or individual performance - some reasonable time is needed to learn/adjust . So I don`t focus much on technically what Bones is trying to put into place here and/or where breakdowns occur.

But I have to say it`s discouraging to see some early season decisions on actual line makeup and player deployment. Looking forward to seeing some changes/adjustments, hopefully in the near future.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
That's not systems that's poor decision making.
I preface this by saying that I turned off the game after the second period as I was to the point of "yelling" at the TV but I will be back for tomorrow's game as many of the remaining games as possible.

Yes, poor decision making. For example, on one of the PKs, Stanley got control of the puck in one corner and started skating towards the other corner with thoughts of getting it out of the zone. Except, instead of looking up to notice, as I did, that he was under no pressure (no one within a couple of yards of him), he attempted to ring it around the boards from there, where it was stopped by a Leaf at the blue line and the pressure was on again. All he had to do was skate a few extra strides to get past the net where he then would have had a couple of options: clear along the boards or clear it down the middle. I've been hoping that Big Stan would be a keeper but I'm thinking that he's too slow to process the NHL game.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah our offensive generation has been largely non existent. I think they will Improve as the team gets more familiar with the schemes but even then when you dress and play an offensively inept line major minutes you have to hope your top 6 is firing on all cylinders.

I fully expect Kyle and Mark to get going but they need to find a way to drive chances without Ehlers to do it for them.

Second line ince again has looked good but they need much better finish from Blake.

Speaking of Blake he is off to another slow start and we just can't afford that.

I'm a huge Perfetti fan so I'm really happy with his play but if he as a 20 year old rookie is arguably your best forward then a number of players aren't playing well enough.

One other thing we can't afford is poor special teams and our special teams have been poor. Honestly is this coaching staff just using last year's tapes of the mediocre pp we ran? It's exactly the same pp with the same shape, slow and predictable puck and player movement.

If you want a more modern looking PP get Perfetti and Heinola out on PP 1 with Conner and Dubois. Have Scheifele down low and tell him to walk the puck in and shoot. You need motion and and quick puck movement and our pp has none of that. Just real poor coaching.

Looking at the stats the Jets have 3 players currently producing at 1st line caliber in Fly, Dubois and Perfetti. After that we have Wheeler at barely 2nd line caliber, Schiefele and Gus at third caliber and Gagner at good fourth line caliber. The rest are at poor fourth line caliber or have goose eggs next to their name.

Conner has one 5 on 5 assist so far this year, that's not good enough.

I think you could reasonably point to the lack of quality depth as the answer to most of the things you've pointed out. It seems like such a huge blunder in hindsight to have not just used last year to let younger players work out the warts in their games with a development year once it fell off the rails.

What exactly is the third line constructed for, they aren't fast, can't score, don't hit. It's just a 30-40 second waste of time.

Hey man, our big 3C had... Checks notes... 0 hits last night. Oh okay.

Kind of concerned we're going to start looking at Lowry's contract similar to how we did Mark Stuart's 4 year deal. Lowry's matchups need to be scaled back a bit or we need to find him better linemates.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

Kind of concerned we're going to start looking at Lowry's contract similar to how we did Mark Stuart's 4 year deal. Lowry's matchups need to be scaled back a bit or we need to find him better linemates.
The impact of Copp on Lowry's game is evident now that Copp is gone, Lowry is nothing more than a 4th line centre and pk'er and is now over payed for that role.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah, the numbers obviously aren't indicative of much with only a handful of games. It does say the scoring chances probably haven't been much to write about though.

Team will likely improve over the course of the season, but remember the Jets had stunk so badly on the PK in the early part of last season that even with an improvement to league average, they were still well below it. It's really hard to climb out of a hole you find yourself in.
What exactly is the third line constructed for, they aren't fast, can't score, don't hit. It's just a 30-40 second waste of time.

*Whispers* The 4th line is better than the 3rd line.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The impact of Copp on Lowry's game is evident now that Copp is gone, Lowry is nothing more than a 4th line centre and pk'er and is now over payed for that role.

Not sure I'd go that far with regards to being a 4th liner, I feel like he'd probably kill 3rd line matchups on the regular. He's just miscast as a 3rd line C that can take on 1st and 2nd lines.
At least not without Copp who's a 1st/2nd line wing/center on his wing :laugh:

Team will likely improve over the course of the season, but remember the Jets had stunk so badly in the early part of last season

Yeah, that was specifically in reference to Bowness' comment about liking the Jets offensive chances. I think he's probably not being quite honest unless he really likes perimeter play and shots from the left point with nobody in front.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you could reasonably point to the lack of quality depth as the answer to most of the things you've pointed out. It seems like such a huge blunder in hindsight to have not just used last year to let younger players work out the warts in their games with a development year once it fell off the rails.

I 100% agree with your first point. This team needs a skill injection. Granted it's a bit more tricky upfront as we really only had Cole who is a skilled player who was ready last year and he got injured but on the back end we needed to stretch out Heinola and possibly Chisholm. For a team that wants offense from our backend we really aren't icing players who can provide that high end offense from the blue line. Schmidt has been really lacking there and is looking very much like a pickup that wasn't needed and is now blocking talented youngsters from the team.

I would rather see Barron on line four as I think him Gagner and Gus could be a pretty good balanced bottom 6 line.

I do wonder how much longer we can use the linemate excuse for Lowry before pointing the fingers directly at him for lack of balance. Three of the last 4 years his line has been abysmal offensively while not bringing that elite suppression. If he can't matchup any longer and can't score then what is he bringing to the table? He really is more energetic 4C with some sand paper and PK atm.

I feel for Samberg a bit as he seems to be the new Gus in that he keeps getting injured when he gets his shot.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I do wonder how much longer we can use the linemate excuse for Lowry before pointing the fingers directly at him for lack of balance. Three of the last 4 years his line has been abysmal offensively while not bringing that elite suppression. If he can't matchup any longer and can't score then what is he bringing to the table? He really is more energetic 4C with some sand paper and PK atm.

I wasn't really intending to excuse Lowry's line's lack of offense on linemates by mentioning Copp. I was moreso suggesting that Copp's role on that line was understated and probably very undervalued.

I'd like to see Lowry matched up against more appropriate competition before saying there's absolutely zero offense from his line. With that said I'm not entirely confident that there will be an uptick in actual GF even with more appropriate matchups. His time on the PP where he has the obvious advantageous matchups still leave something to be desired.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wasn't really intending to excuse Lowry's line's lack of offense on linemates by mentioning Copp. I was moreso suggesting that Copp's role on that line was understated and probably very undervalued.

I'd like to see Lowry matched up against more appropriate competition before saying there's absolutely zero offense from his line. With that said I'm not entirely confident that there will be an uptick in actual GF even with more appropriate matchups. His time on the PP where he has the obvious advantageous matchups still leave something to be desired.

Yeah Copp and Perrault's bottom 6 contributions were likely taken for granted and will be missed. I said it before and I'll say it again, they picked the wrong C to build their bottom 6 around. Had they chosen Copp over Lowry a couple of years ago we might be in a very different position.

Lowry juat doesn't have the hands or instincts to excel on the PP and continually am baffled that he keeps getting time there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Very unhappy with tonight's game.

Team doesn't look like it has a hot clue what it's supposed to be doing in most situations. Special teams still look like the same static/passive crap we've seen for years. I get that we are only 5 games I'm so ill be patient t for another 10 or so games.
I don't know why Wheeler keeps getting tabbed for the 1st pp unit over Perfetti who is now tied for the team scoring lead.

You are being generous giving it another 10 games. If we aren't seeing it after another 5, we aren't going to.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So is Bowness another coach, like Maurice, that will continually play players higher in the lineup that have shown they have no business being there? Yes, Ehlers is injured but you put someone else up there on your top line that is not named Appleton with some skill. When has he ever shown first line skills even once? It's insane he is playing up there. Wheeler on the second line is ridiculous but that's been beaten to death at this point and won't change until he's fully gone. The list goes on.

If not Appleton moving up, then who? Jets don't have the depth on the bottom 6 to be moving anyone up to the top line. And please don't say Lambert. He is in the right place, learning to play at an AHL level. He hasn't done that yet much less the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad