Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 5-3 to the NHL darlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Watching the game the only thing worrying me was the soft turnovers, faceoffs and a lack of hustle from some guys. Perfetti had some bad plays but thats expected from a youngin. Dillon and Demelo really needs to step it up though if they are going to play as much as they do imo.

Brossoit was terrible and we ran into Thomson making some great saves.

@Teppo Numenor awesome name my guy

Reactions: AlaskaJet and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You have to take the "positives" out of this game, and there are many. The Jets outshot Vegas - 40 to 26, however the Vegas Goalie played better than Brossoit. Second, the second line came to life, and Ehlers had 2 assists and Perfetti had a goal. ( very good) The Jets played the undefeated Stanley Cup champs and were tied in the 3rd period, and I think that's great. Also Iaffalo with 2 goals, which gives him 3 already, and our other guys from the LA trade look good.

1) What needs to be done -- get Appleton off the 1st line and put in a big body like Nino or Barron. Appleton sent to the 4th, or the Moose.

2) Our Goaltending has to be better as both Helle and Brossoit are averaging a .850 save percentage. Helle was around .920 last year, and has to bring back up his numbers. In this game Brossoit had a .845 save % - not good enough, letting in 4 on just 26 shots.

Our defence needs work, and have to make less mistakes. and as Bowness said in the post game, if your allowing 4-5 goals per game, you won't win many hockey games, and he's right on. I'd very much like to see Chisholm and Cappo in, and Stanley out. They are both solid defenseman.

Overall, I'm very encouraged from what I saw, and this team will do well this year, but they can't get down on themselves.:nod:

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Didn't and don't like Appleton on the first line, we have more than a few options that would be way better. Would like to see Connor go to the net more with the puck , he's playing too much on the outside in the offensive zone. And how do the refs make that call that late in the game when just before that Lowry got mugged and his wallet stolen right in front of them. Oh i know why, this was one of the refs during the 3rd period when the game was tied....

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Our goalies both need to get going. We've played well enough to be 3-1 but have been let down by awful tending.

Bones also needs to figure out his bench. The Perfetti/Ehlers/Namestnikov line was clicking tonight and somehow Bones plays them nearly as little as the fourth line. He needs to have a better pulse on the game.
Poor Ehlers still getting "no respect" for his abilities and potential to impact games as much to do with playing time and line shuffling. He should be out on the ice more even-even, down 1 or more or up a couple. Coaches, management need to figure this out or trade him for high prospectus futures and start over! Bowl_full_of_mismanagement. Also need a new goalie coach, once again for 8 of past 10 seasons. Thank you and goodnight.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Game 4 and already into the shoulda's and the moral victories. Going to be a long season...

Reactions: JonS

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Its time. Let him get claimed, get back the cap space. Chism and capo are far better players. If he turns out, good for him, but its not gonna happen.
Agreed. I mean try to get anything for him, but if nobody calls back, just let him go, or he's a good Moose add.

I'd honestly rather have Bauer out there, only because he actually kills guys in hits and is one of the best fighters. Not that I'd always use that criteria but Stanley doesn't play physical at all. At least do something.

If DeMelo doesn't hand them that 4th goal, and Perfetti buries the open chance in the 1st, that's a different game.

DeMelo and Stanley had about 3 or 4 awful D zone giveaways. Just can't have that. But overall, that was a good game. We can win a lot of games with this team when we tighten up in our own end.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Great effort in the third period but Eichel's goal was elite.
If we keep playing like we played in the third period we will win a lot of games and if Scheifele and Connor can have banner years, we may make some noise in the playoffs.

Reactions: GNP

Bladerunner62

Mar 16, 2022
Not a single quality start from the goalies in 4 games. Not gonna win many games with that regardless of how you play in front of them. The Jets weren't bad but you simply can't overcome sub .880 goaltending every night and expect to come out with points.
Yes, goaltending needs to be better, way better. But our D is Atrocious. Outside of Morrissey everyone was hot garbage. Stanley isn't doing anyone any favors upping his potential trade value. Dillon is swimming out there. So many free Pizza's given away, Claude Noel would be proud. Forwards had a strong game. And I would put Iafalo with 55 and 81, move apples back down where he belongs.

Reactions: Cypruss

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think he'd get claimed for sure. I don't think it would work out for the claiming team but if it did it would be huge. Same for the Jets, which is why it's so hard to let him go.

Agree, but I honestly don't see how it works out for any team at this point, including the Jets. Yeah, 6;7", but he's not suddenly going to learn positioning, mobility, anticipation, defensive nous, precise passing, calm under pressure, tracking man and not puck, etc etc etc.

At this point in his career, Stanley is either a sure-fire reliable NHL defenceman (4-7) or he ain't. Unfortunately, IMO he ain't.

Capo is. Heinola and Chishom, once fully healthy, might be. Bring up someone who is or who might be, and call it a day.

Other than the D and PK, agree that the Jets played well. Would have preferred more Iafallo or even Barron moved up in place of Apples, and more of the 2nd line, who were playing well and had the puck on a string at times. Maybe Bowness needs to be a bit more flexible in his line management and tactics when the game is close, but overall hard to complain -- but we need some consistent points to stay in the hunt while Villardi's out.

Depth, right?

Reactions: GNP and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ok well this is late but line thoughts.

Beossoit was not good enough which has been the story of our goaltending this year.

JoMo was fantastic again. DeMelo with a rare dud of a game in his end.

Pionk and Dillion were both solid tonight

Stanley was ok but he is limited. Snerg bounced back with a solid night.

Top line: Appelton doesn't belong and never should have been out with the empty net. Mark and Kyle generated a lot of great looks but the line gave up way too many looks as well. Vilardi is missed.

Second line: Perfetti was excellent both ways. Ehlers looked more like himself. Namestnikov at times looked like he belonged in the top 6 but at other times showed why he's a bottom 6 guy that has bounced around. Anyhow I thought at times tonight Cole took the center responsibilities on that line so hopefully the plan is still to move him there. If it's a gradual increase in responsibilities fine but they really need what he brought tonight, but from down the middle if they want to contend this year and beyond.

Third line: it was much more dangerous with Nino there. Iafallo is an excellent all around player. We need more like him. Lowry was solid.

Fourth line: Thought they played well. Kupari continues to flash better then fourth line skill. Gus with a good two-way effort. Barron wasn't as noticeable.

Coaching: it seems Bones is a lot like Mo. He's going to live and die with his guys. The top line got way too many minutes when the second and third lines were playing real good hockey and needed more ice time. Having Appelton out with an empty net was just dumb. The PK also needs to be addressed.

Anyhow yet another game where they played well enough to win.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Heart breaker - officiating was the difference.
Jet's came out and played hard - no complaints from this fan.
Completely agree. Terrible officiating, great effort. The new guys are fantastic, Iofallow and Kupari.

Kupari stood out all night to me. The 4th line overall was fantastic.

I was very disappointed with Samberg last night. Terrible passing and poor decisions. Stanley was also awful.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Completely agree. Terrible officiating, great effort. The new guys are fantastic, Iofallow and Kupari.

Kupari stood out all night to me. The 4th line overall was fantastic.

I was very disappointed with Samberg last night. Terrible passing and poor decisions. Stanley was also awful.

Snerg needs to play with an offensive dmen ro manage the puck movement for him. Stanley is much the same. Just not a great pairing. Chisholm should have been in to balance that third pairing imo.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Knowing we get Vilardi back in 4 weeks, and Heinola back in 10-12 weeks, makes it hard to trade but also encouraging, because VH is better player than Schmidt, Stanley etc. VH is easily in our top 4. It would be nice to have a strong RD like Johnny Kovacevic as a bottom RD, but that's not an option obviously.

I think Chisolm has a golden opportunity to come in and play well.

We need to get creative with our D pairs. If that means Chisolm plays on the right side, or we try different pairings, we must try.

I know people love DeMelo but he is not playing well at all. Hopefully it is just a bad start, like he had last year, and snaps out of it. Samberg and DeMelo as a sheltered pair might be good. Both are playing awful on their respective lines.

Samberg seems to get a pass because sometimes his results seem good. But imagine if it was Stanley that passed the puck right to the Vegas player in OT last year. We'd never hear the end of it.

What a shame what happened to VH. he would've really bolstered our D.

Reactions: JetsUK

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Poor Ehlers still getting "no respect" for his abilities and potential to impact games as much to do with playing time and line shuffling. He should be out on the ice more even-even, down 1 or more or up a couple. Coaches, management need to figure this out or trade him for high prospectus futures and start over! Bowl_full_of_mismanagement. Also need a new goalie coach, once again for 8 of past 10 seasons. Thank you and goodnight.
but hey lets play AHLppleton on the #1 line right Bonehead!

Knowing we get Vilardi back in 4 weeks, and Heinola back in 10-12 weeks, makes it hard to trade but also encouraging, because VH is better player than Schmidt, Stanley etc. VH is easily in our top 4. It would be nice to have a strong RD like Johnny Kovacevic as a bottom RD, but that's not an option obviously.

I think Chisolm has a golden opportunity to come in and play well.

We need to get creative with our D pairs. If that means Chisolm plays on the right side, or we try different pairings, we must try.

I know people love DeMelo but he is not playing well at all. Hopefully it is just a bad start, like he had last year, and snaps out of it.
Heinola was crap when he played with the Jets last season, but hell yeah a couple good exhibition games against AHL'rs and he's already anointed top 4!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Snerg needs to play with an offensive dmen ro manage the puck movement for him. Stanley is much the same. Just not a great pairing. Chisholm should have been in to balance that third pairing imo.
He needs to start working on ‘man passes’ to quote Laine. Some were so slow, they were easy to see and intercept.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013

Heinola was crap when he played with the Jets last season, but hell yeah a couple good exhibition games against AHL'rs and he's already anointed top 4!
Appleton was the least of our worries last night, and overall that was a winnable game. Heinola was exceptional in camp. But I'm not saying he's the be all, but he's a significant improvement over Samberg, Schmidt etc.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Yes, the boys played a decent game, outshooting Vegas rather handily, while suffering from their continuing problems with finishing. And yes, the outcome could have been different if a few glaring mistakes were eliminated , and, if the refs had not been wearing their pro-Vegas bias so openly. But damn, it is very unlikely that we will play that team again when they so obviously had difficulty getting up emotionally for the game. They really didn`t play with the physical passion that is the kryptonite for our guys..We will have to be MUCH better in a number of areas if we think we can beat that team when there is much on the line.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
If we can't get a top RD, the lines should look like this for a while.

Mo - Pionk
Dillon - Chisolm
Sam - Demelo

Bauer 7th.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He needs to start working on ‘man passes’ to quote Laine. Some were so slow, they were easy to see and intercept.

My dad was at the game last night and brought up that exact point about slow passing from the d. Agreed its an issue. JoMo is a stud and DeMelo is solid but after thay its been real hit and miss for this team this year.

Yes, the boys played a decent game, outshooting Vegas rather handily, while suffering from their continuing problems with finishing. And yes, the outcome could have been different if a few glaring mistakes were eliminated , and, if the refs had not been wearing their pro-Vegas bias so openly. But damn, it is very unlikely that we will play that team again when they so obviously had difficulty getting up emotionally for the game. They really didn`t play with the physical passion that is the kryptonite for our guys..We will have to be MUCH better in a number of areas if we think we can beat that team when there is much on the line.

What are you seeing systems wise that you think needs to be improved?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
11500 for the Stanley Cup Champs, wow, team in some deep do-do, of course Cheapmans book should come out soon; "How to Kill Your Fan Base in Three Easy Steps"

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Have to agree with Sip here, as I just don't understand the love affair with Tiny Heiny on this board ?? The guy is not physical enough to be an NHL defenseman, and has done nothing in NHL games. The big forwards just walk all over him. He's not NHL calibre to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad