Line Combos: Jets Lines 2020-21

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m so fascinated by Miller as they both came from same team and I assume they have equal value. If we don’t know what other team is offering how can put together our bid? If we don’t know how draft is going to work how can we place a value on it?

Miller was a different situation, quite a bit older just to start. Different contract situation. He had never produced like this year before. It was questionable whether he would play C or a wing. And that was then, this is now.

You have to estimate values. You can have a pretty good idea who will be available where we draft. You can't have certainty. You have to guess what other offers might be. GM's talk to each other quite a bit. Chevy will have an idea who else might be bidding and what they might offer. So it is an educated guess. But you are right, it is not an open auction.

How much is it worth to us? Look at what we have already spent on band-aid fixes.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We already are... Harkins, Vesa, Copp... pick one
Not what I meant.
If you remove MP, you still have to add someone to the roster. I think league minimum is about 700k.
2.667 + .7 = 3.367...a saving of about 750k the first year and a hit of over 1m the next year. Put him on the waiver wire.
I'm not saying we should or shouldn't buy him out, I'm saying the cost is more than the buyout during years he would have played.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not what I meant.
If you remove MP, you still have to add someone to the roster. I think league minimum is about 700k.
I'm not saying we should or shouldn't buy him out, I'm saying the cost is more than the buyout during years he would have played.
I still think we could trade him.
I’d rather take a 7th round pick over buying him out.
Someone should be willing to part with a low pick for a year of Perreault.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Admittedly I don't know how many players willingly waive their NTC. Do you?

TB is in a tough spot and something has to give.

Yes, something has to give.

I don't think there could be any useful stats on players waiving their NTC's. Small sample and each case would be different. I know that players negotiate them into their contracts. Presumably they want them to use them. I think a TBL player is less likely to waive his NTC than a Wpg or Edm player. A player on a contender is less likely to waive than a player on a lesser team. So why would any of those players you listed be inclined to waive?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I can't see LB getting 2m.
Mike Smith makes 2m this year and he is an upcoming UFA.
I think he'd be great in case Helle went down but 2m for a backup on this team is a bit much (unless you need him).

I wonder if KV can stick with the team out of TC?
It sure would be nice if he did and Chevy moved MP but something tells me he starts with the Moose.

Harkins, Apples and even Roslo and Poolman, to a lesser extent, have all taken advantage of the chances they were given on the team...especially Harkins.
Since starting with the Moose, KV has averaged about a point every two games. If he keeps on improving, I think the Jets will remain patient with him for a while yet.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't see LB getting 2m.
Mike Smith makes 2m this year and he is an upcoming UFA.
I think he'd be great in case Helle went down but 2m for a backup on this team is a bit much (unless you need him).

I wonder if KV can stick with the team out of TC?
It sure would be nice if he did and Chevy moved MP but something tells me he starts with the Moose.

Harkins, Apples and even Roslo and Poolman, to a lesser extent, have all taken advantage of the chances they were given on the team...especially Harkins.
Since starting with the Moose, KV has averaged about a point every two games. If he keeps on improving, I think the Jets will remain patient with him for a while yet.
KVes starts with Moose I’m guessing but gets recalled and plays well and you’ll see Perreault traded closer to the deadline. Vesalainen would look great alongside Copp Lowry.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KVes starts with Moose I’m guessing but gets recalled and plays well and you’ll see Perreault traded closer to the deadline. Vesalainen would look great alongside Copp Lowry.
I kinda think KV needs a bit of a scorer on his line...LW for Ehlers on the RW? Roslo?
KV Little Roslo as a 3rd line?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If we are in a playoff spot what are the chances we trade perrault?

Have we ever traded an expiring contract while in playoff spot?
I don’t wish injury on anyone, but my theory was Vesalainen getting a chance when Perreault is out of lineup with injury as he does get hurt a lot, and that lineup thrives and he is expendable.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah hes also got an .895% defence in front of him. Someone will pay him.

Someone will sign him. I think he gets a cut in pay, not a raise. Not saying that is what he deserves because I think he has been better than that sv% indicates. But that is what I expect.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Someone will sign him. I think he gets a cut in pay, not a raise. Not saying that is what he deserves because I think he has been better than that sv% indicates. But that is what I expect.
He’s still a good back up. But he should have signed somewhere for three years after last year when his value was higher. Maybe he wanted to stay in Winnipeg as they gave him a chance.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He’s still a good back up. But he should have signed somewhere for three years after last year when his value was higher. Maybe he wanted to stay in Winnipeg as they gave him a chance.

I think he wanted to try to capitalize in UFA which is why he signed for two years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Wpg gave him a chance and also gave him a pretty nice raise.

I hope we can keep him. I would even be willing to give him a small raise - if we can afford it. Next year's cap will be a bit of a mystery for a while.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't think he would get a cut in pay if he re-signed?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think he would get a cut in pay if he re-signed?

Hard to say. Most players' salaries increase with almost every contract, at least until very late in their careers. But I think up and down is normal for backup goalies, always being paid for last year. I expect signing of FA's will be delayed until next year's cap is set. If Jets look like being a little tight, they may look for a cheaper backup. Or they may just offer LB less than they otherwise would have.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With recent indications that Little is a strong possibility to return next season and the salary cap likely to remain stagnant, the Jets would have a very difficult time adding a player like Cirelli who will likely command in the $6M cap range, unless they go with a really young and weak D again. Overall, I think the Jets have enough strength at forward, especially with improvements by players like Laine, Roslovic, Harkins and Appleton. I think they should focus on using their cap room to build a strong D, and expect that their forward group will continue to develop and improve.

UFA targets on D are DeMelo (RHD) and Dillon (LHD). I added them using Evolving Hockey's contract projections, along with our RFAs (Roslovic, Appleton, Harkins, etc.).

They would stabilize a top-4 with Morrissey and Pionk.

upload_2020-4-3_18-2-21.png

Here is a potential line-up / lines with Little back and a cap of 81.5M. Dahlstrom was a sneaky-bad pick-up last season because he's on a one-way contract for another year.

upload_2020-4-3_18-3-56.png

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
With recent indications that Little is a strong possibility to return next season and the salary cap likely to remain stagnant, the Jets would have a very difficult time adding a player like Cirelli who will likely command in the $6M cap range, unless they go with a really young and weak D again. Overall, I think the Jets have enough strength at forward, especially with improvements by players like Laine, Roslovic, Harkins and Appleton. I think they should focus on using their cap room to build a strong D, and expect that their forward group will continue to develop and improve.

UFA targets on D are DeMelo (RHD) and Dillon (LHD). I added them using Evolving Hockey's contract projections, along with our RFAs (Roslovic, Appleton, Harkins, etc.).

View attachment 340345

Here is a potential line-up / lines with Little back and a cap of 81.5M. Dahlstrom was a sneaky-bad pick-up last season because he's on a one-way contract for another year.

View attachment 340346

After living in San Jose and Washington, it'd be REAL tough to see a guy like Dillon coming to Winnipeg. I'd be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

View attachment 340345

View attachment 340346
I don’t know how you take Connor off first line he was pacing for well over 40 goals and would hardly be a stretch to get 80 pts.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

View attachment 340345

View attachment 340346

I see where your headed and I agree for the most part.

I think we can get a better player then Dillon from a team scrambling to make the cap.

Not every team would be in a good spot like us if the cap stays stagnant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad