Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Leafs Jan. 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm personally excited to see Stanley. Show us what you got big man.

If he doesn't make the cut, so be it. But at least the conversation will be put to rest.
I am cautiously optimistic about seeing Stanley in a NHL game. If he turns out to be a realistic option in our bottom 6 that is something that can really benefit us down the line.

Reactions: Jet

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The Jets are going to want to look at Stanley this year to see if he's worth keeping around on the roster next year. He is waiver eligible so we can loose him for nothing if we try to send him down next year.

That is why he is one of the first call ups. Contract status and the business aspect play a role in roster decisions.
and you can essentially Niku him if he sucks. just (painfully) rotate through 5 D. have Stanley play the penalty kills as well

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
you know that if you're going to post something disparaging about a player's looks, you should accompany it with a picture of yourself so we all have a point of reference as to what true beauty really is.
You couldn’t handle blue barons, beauty.

Reactions: HannuJ

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Jets are going to want to look at Stanley this year to see if he's worth keeping around on the roster next year. He is waiver eligible so we can loose him for nothing if we try to send him down next year.

That is why he is one of the first call ups. Contract status and the business aspect play a role in roster decisions.

I think that's generally a True North principle, in that 1st year players on their ELC have tended to get the AHL development year. Brandon Tanev having gone the college route is one of the few who haven't. Andrew Copp signed with an agreement to make the team. But in terms of defensemen, Trouba is the only one to make a jump straight to pro. Poolman I suppose too, but he was an overage defenseman, 24, coming out of a top college program. And still did 2 more years of AHL service.

2nd year you may get promoted. Guys like Lowry, Roslovic, and Appleton went this route. Morrissey on defense.

3rd year is when you find out where a player is at. Harkins being the latest example of a breakthrough, and I suppose Spacek being the latest of bust.

4th year is also an option for some defenseman. Chiarot and now Niku would be considered longer range prospect, though Niku did get a sniff in year 2 and year 3.

So I agree the time is now for Stanley, the other thing to consider is whether he would be someone being showcased in a trade, as we are rather solid on the left side for years to come, if Samberg and Heinola progress as LD.

Being a PKer gives him an in.

But Jesus what are the pairing if Stanley gets in?

Morrissey-Niku
Forbort-Pionk
Stanley-Beaulieu?

That's not particularly impressive on paper. Imagine if we still had Sbisa, be easy to put him on the right side, and on PK1. Chevy's miscalculation is already costing us. If I am the Leafs I am trying to get Marner out against Stanley, whenever possible.

As there is still 7 listed on the taxi squad, somebody else is being called up to the Jets with Poolman going through C.R.A.P

Seems like Samberg is the front runner.

Not surprised to see Stanley up before Heinola, given the circumstances, as I would loathe to see us trying to kill penalties with all of Pionk, Niku and Heinola in the lineup.
Not going to write him off before we see a game, maybe playing in hometown Ontario, in the spotlight, gives him a boost. But 2 games in, a defense which looked a little suspect to start is looking really shaky. Nothing eases the nerves like a good performance though, and that's all we can hope for from our troops.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think that's generally a True North principle, in that 1st year players on their ELC have tended to get the AHL development year. Brandon Tanev having gone the college route is one of the few who haven't. Andrew Copp signed with an agreement to make the team. But in terms of defensemen, Trouba is the only one to make a jump straight to pro.

2nd year you may get promoted. Guys like Lowry, Roslovic, and Appleton went this route.

3rd year is when you find out where a player is at. Harkins being the latest example of a breakthrough, and I suppose Spacek being the bust.

4th year is also an option for some defenseman. Chiarot and now Niku would be considered longer range prospect, though Niku did get a sniff in year 2 and year 3.

So I agree the time is now for Stanley, the other thing to consider is whether he would be someone being showcased in a trade, as we are rather solid on the left side for years to come, if Samberg and Heinola progress as LD.

Being a PKer gives him an in.

But Jesus what are the pairing if Stanley gets in?

Morrissey-Niku
Forbort-Pionk
Stanley-Beaulieu

That's not particularly impressive on paper. Imagine if we still had Sbisa, be easy to put him on the right side, and on PK1. Chevy's miscalculation is already costing us. If I am the Leafs I am trying to get Marner out against Stanley, whenever possible.

As there is still 7 listed on the taxi squad, somebody else is being called up to the Jets with Poolman going through C.R.A.P

Seems like Samberg is the front runner.

Not surprised to see Stanley up before Heinola, given the circumstances, as I would loathe to see us trying to kill penalties with all of Pionk, Niku and Heinola in the lineup.
Not going to write him off before we see a game, maybe playing in hometown Ontario, in the spotlight, gives him a boost. But 2 games in, a defense which looked a little suspect to start is looking really shaky. Nothing eases the nerves like a good performance though, and that's all we can hope for from our troops.

I think the Jets also have a better read on where our prospects are developmentally the us fans. I tend to think we are now at a point where the org would rather slow bake our top prospects the just throw them in. It is why I dont see them throwing Heionla in this year barring massive injuries.

I'm not all that optimistic about Stanley but knew his former draft status as well as his upcoming contract status would ensure he'd get games this year.

I would much rather see Samberg myself.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There are going to be some strange lineups for awhile...better start getting used to it now..

By game 3 of last season our d corps was Heinola-Pionk, Kulikov-Dahlstrom, Bitetto-Poolman. Game 4 in a victory against the Pens it was Dahlstrom-Pionk, Heinola-Poolman, Bitetto-Niku. It's not unfamiliar territory.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Taxi squad is worst place to be for Heinola. He needs to play and develop either with Moose or the big boys.

Hopefully Ehlers and Laine are gtg.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Er9n1wSXYAMBj_X

HALLELUJAH!

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad