Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Leafs Jan. 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Figured I’d start this thread as we’re a couple of days out.
I’ve used this in the humour thread but not everyone here may have seen it, so I’ll retire it after this time.

40E24DCB-5EF7-4758-84BF-A645EBAF891A.jpeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It could mean anything heck maybe a Flames player tested positive. Welcome to the 2021 season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Hopefully it really is just precautionary and nobody has covid. In this case it's good that we had a few days off and didn't start with back to back games.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Canucks canceled last week due to a false positive test.

This could be anything. If a Jet tested positive they will be on that daily protocol list.

I'm not really all that concerned as of now.

29from27and55

Jan 16, 2021
Leafs will be fired up.

Matthews is due.

But Jets
Will still clover them.

If they try to be physical which they can't.

Laine and Ehlers will handle it :D
annoying they have simmonds and bogosian now and they think their some big physical team all of a sudden. i hope laine fights mathews and ehlers fights marner in a line brawl. that would be the start to 2021 we need

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The Canucks canceled last week due to a false positive test.

This could be anything. If a Jet tested positive they will be on that daily protocol list.

I'm not really all that concerned as of now.
i'm connecting some possible dots.
Ehlers was out due to symptoms but tested negative. negative tests really don't mean all that much.
wondering if he now tested positive or has symptoms

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i'm connecting some possible dots.
Ehlers was out due to symptoms but tested negative. negative tests really don't mean all that much.
wondering if he now tested positive or has symptoms

Not sure, with the amount of tests these guys are doing I would imagine there will be a number of false positives throughout the year. It could also be something with the contact tracing.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Not sure, with the amount of tests these guys are doing I would imagine there will be a number of false positives throughout the year. It could also be something with the contact tracing.
false positives are a 1 in 100 chance (unless the NHL is using a different testing method).
false negatives are approximately 25%, but it depends on when the person was tested in their point of being infected.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
false positives are a 1 in 100 chance (unless the NHL is using a different testing method).
false negatives are approximately 25%, but it depends on when the person was tested in their point of being infected.

Well these guys are getting tested every day so that is probably 30 plus tests a day for each team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The NHL did over 30,000 tests in the bubble last summer and had no false positives, so I would be careful assuming any positive tests this season are false positives.

I'm not assuming that they will be. Just saying it was a false positive that shut the canucks practice down a week ago.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I'm not assuming that they will be. Just saying it was a false positive that shut the canucks practice down a week ago.
It wasn't actually a false positive thought. It turned out to be an acutal positive with Jordie Benn having covid. He first tested positive, but then tested negative which is why the reported it as a false positive. But he then tested positive again and is now in a 14 day quarantine.

Canucks' J.T. Miller and Jordie Benn in COVID-19 quarantine - North Shore News.

According to a follow-up report from Global BC's Richard Zussman, one of Benn or Miller tested positive for COVID-19, then negative in a follow-up test, then positive once again, then negative in a fourth test.
Unlike in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, this is not a best-of-seven situation. According to the NHL's COVID-19 protocol, personnel that receive an initial positive result must have three days of negative tests to confirm the initial test as a "false positive." Since one of the subsequent tests had a positive result, the player would be considered a "confirmed positive" and required to isolate.
This would appear to be the source of the "false positive" that led to the cancellation of Sunday's Canucks practice. If the second follow-up test was positive as reported by Zussman, then that is no longer considered a "false positive" and the Canucks' "abundance of caution" in cancelling practice was a prudent decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad