Proposal: Jets-Isles

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
And 98.43% of Laine's ES goals have come while on a line with Ehlers.

I'm a data scientist. If you want to play with weak inference and claiming causality from correlation: Come at me bro.

But really. I'm far from the only person who sees Laine's limitations at ES. I mean, one of the few times that Ehlers and Laine have actually been broken up Maurice explicitly said it was because their line was spending too much time in their own defensive end.

Like, have you seen Laine shoot? If he was half as good at getting the puck to the other end of ice as he is at shooting, we wouldn't be talking about a guy that was tied for 21st in ES goals last season. We'd be talking about a guy that had the most ES goals by a fairly significant margin. BTW, can focus on the assist numbers, but the reality is, Laine only had 2 more ES goals than Ehlers last season.

and I have a accounting degree and an economics degree, your data is flawed. the reason is very simple. Defenses focus a hell of a lot more on Laine than they do on Ehlers

you may be a data scientist but you totally miss the most important factor. Congratulations. didnt you realize that coaches try to keep the focus off Laine when designing your Zone entry strategies?
put Drew Stafford in Laine's place and then tell me how great Ehlers is.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm not panicking about Ehlers. I don't think his game fits the Jets. We play a possession game. Ehlers in the offensive zone is showing again and again he can not sustain pressure. Jets fans tried to blame Littlr, but Little is only the guy that does everything. Tell me if Laine stays on the top line do you think Connor-Little-Roslovic would be a good possession line? I think Roslovic brings the same speed as Ehlers, but pursues the puck infinitely better, part of our system. That leads to production. And if anything I think they would provide Maurice with a 2nd defensive line, that would allow Scheifele more offensive zone starts, and more production. Then the argument of Petan running the half wall over Ehlers on the 2nd PP is probably another area where we increase production.

Leddy solidifies the d. Chiarot's puck movement is substandard, but he looked good on a sheltered pairing with Myers last year. By trading Ehlers salary, for a top 4 d salary, not having to worry about Myers for next year, being able to buy out Kulikov with a suitable replacement (Niku) the Jets have the Cap Space to lock up 3 core players long term. And if Trouba can't be signed there is the ability to bring more assets into the team.

As it stands I would like a Jets fan to tell me how Roslovic, Veselainen and Suess are going to grow into this team? By moving 4th liner Perreault, while Ehlers continues to flounder as overpaid winger in a system he looks increasingly less comfortable playing in?

It's a good trade for both teams. Now the Isles may need to move Beauvillier into the middle, or Lee at some point, or wait on Wahlstrom, but they don't have a lot of firepower. This is a trade of offense (potential) for defense. And I think given our playoff run last year, we saw that good defense is good offense. Limiting defensive breakdowns enables sustained offensive pressure.

Well thought out, definitely not short-sighted.

Seems like a good trade from the Isles standpoint, but one thing I would like to ask you is why is it Leddy you are going after? Seems you are resigned to the fact that you don't think Ehlers fits, and you explained why and that's fine. I'm just curious why you would target Leddy. I think you might actually be able to get a better caliber defenseman than Leddy.

With that said I would certainly consider this trade next offseason when we get a better look at Aho and Toews at the end of the year when they get called up to play meaningless games. If they transition well (pretty sure they will) then I would make this move. Get a late draft pick for Eberle and Ehlers will be his replacement locked up long term. Makes sense to me.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
now youre grasping at straws, saying you see things nobody else can. im done with you. ehlers has 140% more assists since Laine joined the team. if Ehlers is and has been the line driver, why has that happened? forget your imaginary insights only you see, focus on that alone, if Ehlers drives the line why didnt he do that before?

nobody buys your imaginary i see things nobody else can see bull. Anybody with Eyes knows Laine is among the best pure snipers in the NHL, and Ehlers benefits immensely from that, so unless youre trading them in a package, youre not getting a first pairing Defender for Ehlers
Dude you’re acting incredulous and surprised that a rookie 19 year old’s production increased after his first season.

To me that seems like a pretty regular thing that happens in the NHL.

Also your argument seems to suggest that each NHL line has only one player on it that drives play and everyone is just leeching off that player.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Dude you’re acting incredulous and surprised that a rookie 19 year old’s production increased after his first season.

To me that seems like a pretty regular thing that happens in the NHL.

Also your argument seems to suggest that each NHL line has only one player on it that drives play and everyone is just leeching off that player.
I never said that I just said that adding possibly the best sniper in the league is much more likely to have had an effect on Ehlers production than either of those things. If you're so sure ehlers is all that put him on your 3rd line and let him carry a line.

It's very easy to make claims like you have when you don't let a player drive a line by himself. The oilers did just that with Draisaitl, so it has been done. If you think Ehlers is all that let him show it. Til then the common sense reasoning is the most likely and you know it

If course you'd never do that because if and when he went back to prior levels, his perceived value would plummet.

there's a reason that Laine is viewed as he is. It's because he drives that line. Or if you really believe what you say, You could trade Laine. He actually could get you the Star #1 defender you seek. I love posts like yours because it's so simple to prove you don't believe the bull your selling.

Otherwise youd offer Laine instead of Ehlers. Tell me how many Jets fans would trade Laine before Ehlers? Like NONE.

Ask oiler fans who have Puljujarvi if it's a guarantee for a player to improve by 50% between their first and second years? The most likely answer is Laine makes it easier for Ehlers. And the only way to disprove that is to let Ehlers carry his own line. As I've said if you put Eberle on that line instead of Ehlers I sincerely doubt there would be a significant difference. But if you took Laine off of it, you'd notice. That's why Laine is a great great player.. He makes those around him better. Because when he's on the ice everyone is focused on him. Not Ehlers.

So feed your disingenuous crapola to the birds

Last edited:

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Myers I'm sure is a part of some contingency plan, but it's not like both assets are walking out the door at the end of the year with the Jets holding an empty bag. Any contending team losing a top pairing and top 4/5 D man with no return brings them to the middle of the pack, not just the Jets.

No matter what happens to Trouba there is no way the Jets being back Myers. He’s barely a third pair guy at this point of his career and he will cost way too much money.

The third pair guy is already signed to a 3 year cap friendly deal and that’s Tucker Poolman.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
No matter what happens to Trouba there is no way the Jets being back Myers. He’s barely a third pair guy at this point of his career and he will cost way too much money.

The third pair guy is already signed to a 3 year cap friendly deal and that’s Tucker Poolman.
It's doubtful I give you that, but considering the Trouba situation, I wouldn't be overly surprised if there's a scenario in which the Jet's keep him.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Deal. Now all the Islanders need to do is find a guy with that name.

I know an Olivar Whalstrom that drives a tofu truck in Queens. Maybe that's the guy he's talking about? I have heard his backhand is sick.

Oh shit I misplaced 2 letters in his name, I'm humiliated now that you guys have pointed out this minor spelling mistake to me! Boy is my face red

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: luki here

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Oh **** I misplaced 2 letters in his name, I'm humiliated now that you guys have pointed out this minor spelling mistake to me! Boy is my face red

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
it should be Red.According to most scouts he's ranked about as close to Laine as you can get, now of course Laine has delivered on his Elite talent and Wahlstrom still must do that, but I figure you wouldnt mispell Laine. now would you?

it is because of those obvious comparisons that your suggestion to add Wahlstrom is ridiculous its also why I have zero interest in Ehlers, now if youre interested in moving Laine instead of Ehlers thats another matter. but if you were, I think your fellow jets fans would question your sanity as well as your spelling

Ehlers is a good player, but he is helped tremendously by being on a line with Laine, anyone who questions that cannot be taken seriously. its why the Oilers had to move Draisaitl off McDavids line. otherwise no one would take him seriously either

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well thought out, definitely not short-sighted.

Seems like a good trade from the Isles standpoint, but one thing I would like to ask you is why is it Leddy you are going after? Seems you are resigned to the fact that you don't think Ehlers fits, and you explained why and that's fine. I'm just curious why you would target Leddy. I think you might actually be able to get a better caliber defenseman than Leddy.

With that said I would certainly consider this trade next offseason when we get a better look at Aho and Toews at the end of the year when they get called up to play meaningless games. If they transition well (pretty sure they will) then I would make this move. Get a late draft pick for Eberle and Ehlers will be his replacement locked up long term. Makes sense to me.

The reason I said Leddy is because, one, I think this is going to be a tough year for the Isles. Rebuilding after Tavares. There's not a lot of potential trading partners who can offer a top 4 d-man for a top six forward. And I don't think the Jets trade within their conference.

Most teams don't have enough defensive depth. The Isles don't either, but they have some prospects to build upon. Can acquire some picks too if they fall out of the race.

Leddy as a player fits the Jets well. He wouldn't be a top pairing defenseman here, but he would be a significant upgrade over what we have, at the bottom. Paired with Buff, would probably shine. Skating fits the mold of our defensive structure, which pressures a lot.
And he is from Minnesota, the Minnesota guys who play here, genuinely enjoy their time in the Peg.

I'd feel a lot more confident in our team's success with a defense that can match Nashville and Colorado, as our goalies match up well, and we still have talent at forward.

I'd hate to think what would happen if we went into the playoffs with Morrissey hurt, banking on Chiarot, Niku, Morrow and Kulikov to carry us. All have some serious deficiencies in their game.

I think we have enough young prospects to make Ehlers expendable in such a trade. Roslovic moving to the top 6. Veselainen-Suess-Perreault as a 4th line late season.

It wouldn't be a trade I'd do now. But I think mid season it may become good for both sides.

I don't know how to acquire a top 4 d-man, without giving up a lot. Considering Hamonic got 2 firsts, what would be the value of others on the market? And the Jets are not the only team that need to acquire defensemen. The more teams like Vancouver, Carolina, or Anaheim are in the running the less there is a trade market.

I'm not sure a Kronwall or Bowmeester (if the Blues don't find a goalie) would help that much.

I sure think Ehlers-Barzal would give Isles fans some entertainment though.

Reactions: IODCPiper

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The reason I said Leddy is because, one, I think this is going to be a tough year for the Isles. Rebuilding after Tavares. There's not a lot of potential trading partners who can offer a top 4 d-man for a top six forward. And I don't think the Jets trade within their conference.

Most teams don't have enough defensive depth. The Isles don't either, but they have some prospects to build upon. Can acquire some picks too if they fall out of the race.

Leddy as a player fits the Jets well. He wouldn't be a top pairing defenseman here, but he would be a significant upgrade over what we have, at the bottom. Paired with Buff, would probably shine. Skating fits the mold of our defensive structure, which pressures a lot.
And he is from Minnesota, the Minnesota guys who play here, genuinely enjoy their time in the Peg.

I'd feel a lot more confident in our team's success with a defense that can match Nashville and Colorado, as our goalies match up well, and we still have talent at forward.

I'd hate to think what would happen if we went into the playoffs with Morrissey hurt, banking on Chiarot, Niku, Morrow and Kulikov to carry us. All have some serious deficiencies in their game.

I think we have enough young prospects to make Ehlers expendable in such a trade. Roslovic moving to the top 6. Veselainen-Suess-Perreault as a 4th line late season.

It wouldn't be a trade I'd do now. But I think mid season it may become good for both sides.

I don't know how to acquire a top 4 d-man, without giving up a lot. Considering Hamonic got 2 firsts, what would be the value of others on the market? And the Jets are not the only team that need to acquire defensemen. The more teams like Vancouver, Carolina, or Anaheim are in the running the less there is a trade market.

I'm not sure a Kronwall or Bowmeester (if the Blues don't find a goalie) would help that much.

your thoughts are all extremely fair and i congratulate you on your reasonableness, but as Ive stated before Ehlers isnt a need When we have Wahlstrom and Bellows waiting in the wings

honestly I udersand trying to cash in on Ehlers, but his value is not akin to what Hamonic got, nor Leddy's value to the Islanders. Ehlers away from Laine is an unknown and even you are quick to pair him with Barzal. frankly if he has to be paired with Barzal to be effective for us why would we want him?

Wouldnt we be better off keeping Leddy and using Wahlstrom with Barzal?.

once again, I grasp this deal for Winnipeg but it does nothing for the Islanders, and thats fully understanding what you are conceptually saying. I dont see how any Islander fan of any intelligence would even give it a second thought with Bellows Wahlstrom and Ho Sang (who like Ehlers are 1st rounders themselves) already waiting in the wings

the fact that we are in need of defense also makes this a non starter. Not saying youd be interested but Sbisa might be a better target given your restraints or Boychuck with retention ( if he agreed which I doubt he'd be amenable to.) I could also see Trouba for Leddy, but I would hope the Isles would say no, simply because I dont see Trouba signing without testing the market and Overhardt is impossible to deal with

I generally see too many teams needing defense and not enough quality defenders to go around. the jets are in a tough spot. With Myers slowing down, Trouba, and Logan Stanley not advancing as fast as many hoped. I can definitely understand your proactive thought process

Last edited:
Reactions: IODCPiper

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
your thoughts are all extremely fair and i congratulate you on your reasonableness, but as Ive stated before Ehlers isnt a need When we have Wahlstrom and Bellows waiting in the wings

honestly I udersand trying to cash in on Ehlers, but his value is not akin to what Hamonic got, nor Leddy's value to the Islanders. Ehlers away from Laine is an unknown and even you are quick to pair him with Barzal. frankly if he has to be paired with Barzal to be effective for us why would we want him?

Wouldnt we be better off keeping Leddy and using Wahlstrom with Barzal?.

once again, I grasp this deal for Winnipeg but it does nothing for the Islanders, and thats fully understanding what you are conceptually saying. I dont see how any Islander fan of any intelligence would even give it a second thought with Bellows Wahlstrom and Ho Sang (who like Ehlers are 1st rounders themselves) already waiting in the wings

the fact that we are in need of defense also makes this a non starter. Not saying youd be interested but Sbisa might be a better target given your restraints or Boychuck with retention ( if he agreed which I doubt he'd be amenable to.) I could also see Trouba for Leddy, but I would hope the Isles would say no, simply because I dont see Trouba signing without testing the market and Overhardt is impossible to deal with

I generally see too many teams needing defense and not enough quality defenders to go around

Thing is though all of Eberle, Lee and Nelson are unrestricted free agents at year's end. Filppula too. Isles can get quite a haul off that.

Not sure if any plan to re-sign.

If not

Ladd-Barzal-Ehlers
Bellows-Wahlstrom-Bailey
Beauvillier-(Trade)-Ho-Sang

And Leddy's spot opens up for Toews/Aho, or another acquired player.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
so you say, but I see it differently, We dont have a patrik Laine to take the focus off Ehlers, most teams dont. you can make up all the excuses you want but Ehlers isnt a line driver and playing on the Islanders with anyone but Barzal he wouldnt sniff 50 points let alone 60 and No One will give you a top Pairing Defenseman for him and you know it.

put up a poll. leave Isles fans and Jets fans out of it, Who is better Laine or Ehlers? you'll soon find out who really drives that line. I get it youre defending your player, but dont baldfaced lie to do it

im certain if Eberle and Ehlers swapped teams the jets wouldnt notice the difference

Aside from Laines rookie season where they played together with Scheifele for an extended period Ehlers has scored more and looked better playing away from Laine.

Last season when Scheif was hurt they made a line of Connor-Wheeler-Laine.
The Perreault-Little-Ehlers line became our best line and carried us to many wins. When Perreault got hurt we threw rookie Roslovic on that line and they were still the best line. Maurice sheltered CWL and made Little take the hard match ups.

I don’t know enough about Leddy to speak to the trade or not. But agree now is not the time to make the trade. The Jets also have D prospects coming up the pipeline and Ehlers signed to a good deal.

Nothing to see here... move along.

Reactions: snowkiddin

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Thing is though all of Eberle, Lee and Nelson are unrestricted free agents at year's end. Filppula too. Isles can get quite a haul off that.

Not sure if any plan to re-sign.

If not

Ladd-Barzal-Ehlers
Bellows-Wahlstrom-Bailey
Beauvillier-(Trade)-Ho-Sang

And Leddy's spot opens up for Toews/Aho, or another acquired player.

i fully expect lee to resign and Toews and Aho will earn their spots when they are ready its not like we have 6 quality defenders Leddy, Boychuck, Pulock, and Pelech anyone else will be replaced by internally grown Prospects.

I really have zero inteest in paying a premium for Ehlers, id much rather resign Eberle short term and keep his proven chemistry with Barzal, even if I had Ehlers for free, which i sincerely doubt would happen.

Ehlers is 6m just like Id give Eberle, eberle has even hinted he'd take less on a long term deal, as he likes it here, so you see there's little reason to want Ehlers

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Aside from Laines rookie season where they played together with Scheifele for an extended period Ehlers has scored more and looked better playing away from Laine.

Last season when Scheif was hurt they made a line of Connor-Wheeler-Laine.
The Perreault-Little-Ehlers line became our best line and carried us to many wins. When Perreault got hurt we threw rookie Roslovic on that line and they were still the best line. Maurice sheltered CWL and made Little take the hard match ups.

I don’t know enough about Leddy to speak to the trade or not. But agree now is not the time to make the trade. The Jets also have D prospects coming up the pipeline and Ehlers signed to a good deal.

Nothing to see here... move along.

i dont know where you get your stats but according to dobber hockey you appear to be mistaken

2017-2018
29.6EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LAINE,PATRIK - LITTLE,BRYAN
19.4EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LAINE,PATRIK - STASTNY,PAUL
18.6EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LITTLE,BRYAN - PERREAULT,MATHIEU
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and only 10.6 % of his production or 5 points came with Perreault and little

2016-2017

20.9EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - SCHEIFELE,MARK - WHEELER,BLAKE
20.8EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LAINE,PATRIK - SCHEIFELE,MARK
16.5EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LAINE,PATRIK - LITTLE,BRYAN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2015-2016
22.5EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - SCHEIFELE,MARK - WHEELER,BLAKE
22.4EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - PERREAULT,MATHIEU - SCHEIFELE,MARK
13.4BURMISTROV,ALEXANDER - EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - THORBURN,CHRIS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

those were his primary usage stats and his 2 best years were with Laine (by far)

The Perreault-Little-Ehlers hasnt been a primary line since 2015-2016 at 22.4%

so the facts dont support your contention

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Those that say Elhers is totally a product of playing with Laine should consider that there is a very good chance a player that turned 19 during his rookie season will improve in his 2nd. Especially if that player is a #9 OA pick just before that 1st season.
Of course players are likely to benifit from playing withe Laine but if you want to see how they do apart watch tonight when Winnipeg hosts Toronto as coach Maurice has moved Laine onto the Scheifele/Wheeler line with Connor taking his spot with Elhers & Little.
Actually watching full games rather than just hilites is a good idea before commenting on any player. In the game against Arizona Elhers committed a turnover that looked like it was resulting in a 2 on 0 but took off like a rocket, hit the nitrous & got there in time to break up the situation. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only 1 impressed.
As for trading him straight up for Leddy there is 0 interest from me. As a LD Leddy is not a replacement for any of Trouba, Myers (who's recent play some seem to ignore) or Buff (if/when the big guy slows down).
Should Trouba be traded the return will probably include a RD since that position looks rather thin in the pipeline.
I believe Myers will be re-signed but @ a lower cap hit. Odds are the bad years a few back will work against him as a UFA so the comfort level & not uprooting his young family will come into play.
Also, Morrow seems to have finally found a fit on his 5th team. The Jets depth on D is better than stats watchers give it credit for. Bargain contracts for players like Morrow & Chiarot are valuable to enhance the big picture.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Those that say Elhers is totally a product of playing with Laine should consider that there is a very good chance a player that turned 19 during his rookie season will improve in his 2nd. Especially if that player is a #9 OA pick just before that 1st season.
Of course players are likely to benifit from playing withe Laine but if you want to see how they do apart watch tonight when Winnipeg hosts Toronto as coach Maurice has moved Laine onto the Scheifele/Wheeler line with Connor taking his spot with Elhers & Little.
Actually watching full games rather than just hilites is a good idea before commenting on any player. In the game against Arizona Elhers committed a turnover that looked like it was resulting in a 2 on 0 but took off like a rocket, hit the nitrous & got there in time to break up the situation. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only 1 impressed.
As for trading him straight up for Leddy there is 0 interest from me. As a LD Leddy is not a replacement for any of Trouba, Myers (who's recent play some seem to ignore) or Buff (if/when the big guy slows down).
Should Trouba be traded the return will probably include a RD since that position looks rather thin in the pipeline.
I believe Myers will be re-signed but @ a lower cap hit. Odds are the bad years a few back will work against him as a UFA so the comfort level & not uprooting his young family will come into play.
Also, Morrow seems to have finally found a fit on his 5th team. The Jets depth on D is better than stats watchers give it credit for. Bargain contracts for players like Morrow & Chiarot are valuable to enhance the big picture.
thats why you look at production stats with line mates flyerfan, maybe not you but most intelligent fans use them

and you make no mention of the Islanders pourous defense and weak goaltending with regard to leddy

and your comment

"Those that say Elhers is totally a product of playing with Laine should consider that there is a very good chance a player that turned 19 during his rookie season will improve in his 2nd. Especially if that player is a #9 OA pick just before that 1st season."

doesnt hold water when you change Ehlers for Puljujarvi, as in

"Those that say Puljujarvi is totally a product of playing with McDavid should consider that there is a very good chance a player that turned 19 during his rookie season will improve in his 2nd. Especially if that player is a #4 OA pick just before that 1st season."

so obviously you need to learn a few things yourself.

and as ive said I have less than zero interest in trading Leddy for Ehlers, if you think Ehlers is so good im sure that the Jets would trade Ehlers for Sanheim + then you can both be happy

though for the same reason I wouldnt trade Leddy for Ehlers, intelligent flyers fans would laugh at Ehlers for Sanheim and Sanheim is alot less proven than Leddy

just like the flyers wouldnt trade Sanheim for Kapanen, the Islanders would be silly to trade Leddy for Ehlers

and if you really think im wrong, go ahead and trade Sanheim+ for Ehlers

( now watch him totally change his tune)

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Alright, I'm sold. Let's get the ball rolling in February!

Reactions: Hulide

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I never said that I just said that adding possibly the best sniper in the league is much more likely to have had an effect on Ehlers production than either of those things. If you're so sure ehlers is all that put him on your 3rd line and let him carry a line.

It's very easy to make claims like you have when you don't let a player drive a line by himself. The oilers did just that with Draisaitl, so it has been done. If you think Ehlers is all that let him show it. Til then the common sense reasoning is the most likely and you know it

If course you'd never do that because if and when he went back to prior levels, his perceived value would plummet.

there's a reason that Laine is viewed as he is. It's because he drives that line. Or if you really believe what you say, You could trade Laine. He actually could get you the Star #1 defender you seek. I love posts like yours because it's so simple to prove you don't believe the bull your selling.

Otherwise youd offer Laine instead of Ehlers. Tell me how many Jets fans would trade Laine before Ehlers? Like NONE.

Ask oiler fans who have Puljujarvi if it's a guarantee for a player to improve by 50% between their first and second years? The most likely answer is Laine makes it easier for Ehlers. And the only way to disprove that is to let Ehlers carry his own line. As I've said if you put Eberle on that line instead of Ehlers I sincerely doubt there would be a significant difference. But if you took Laine off of it, you'd notice. That's why Laine is a great great player.. He makes those around him better. Because when he's on the ice everyone is focused on him. Not Ehlers.

So feed your disingenuous crapola to the birds
Offering Laine for Nick Leddy seems pretty...I don't know...stupid? That doesn't really seem to be the point to this argument. In fact in this argument I wouldn't trade Ehlers for Leddy either.

I think Laine is a better player, sure. Except you present the argument as if Ehlers is only a product of Laine which doesn't really match what I've seen. Especially as the two don't play together on the powerplay which is where Laine gets most of his production.

I think Ehlers is a 60 point winger regardless of Laine. You don't seem to, that's cool. I just take umbrage with the fact you've created a bunch of side arguments and points that don't really have anything to do with anything.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I already proved factually that the majority of Ehlers points are with Laine on the ice. All you need to do is look at the production charts. The one player on the ice for the highest percentage of Ehlers points is Laine. Higher than Scheifele, higher than Little.. You can say that Ehlers would be a 60 point forward without him but the evidence indicates otherwise

Once again I'm not saying he's not a good player. I'm just saying his numbers are inflated by playing with Laine.

Just like Zhamnov5goalgame, tried to say how Ehlers played better with Little and Perreault, and the actual production charts showed Ehlers only scored 5 points with them.... The production charts show who was on the ice when actual goals were scored and the highest percentage of Ehlers points were scored with Laine. Not Scheifele, not Little.

That's not my opinion. It's a cold hard fact. Look at the line combos, the actual production charts, and do the math, you'll see it too. And Ehlers isn't the only one. that's how I know Laine is Elite, because the numbers show that every player I've checked so far has a higher percentage with Laine than without. And not by just a point or 2, but by major margins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad