Proposal: Jets-Isles

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love Ehlers but the isles need Defensman. Leddy is our best defenseman but I’d say he is expendable innrhe right trade.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It's tempting but Leddy with 4 years on his deal at a very manageable cap hit is too valuable to trade for a forward when we have Bellows and Wahlstrom waiting in the wings

Defense is a need, another forward is not

Leddy is a victim of our lack of experience on defense and he suffers the burden of trying to carry too much. But without him the youth we have now and in the pipeline would be overwhelmed in short order. He can't be traded

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No, not without an add. Ehlers carries tremendous value and is in a middle of a slump. You don't gain anything by reacting to slumps.

Leddy would be a great addition - potentially even a Buff replacement - but we need to give Niku a shot before doing anything stupid. Heck, he could be a Leddy-lite before too long.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No, not without an add. Ehlers carries tremendous value and is in a middle of a slump. You don't gain anything by reacting to slumps.

Leddy would be a great addition - potentially even a Buff replacement - but we need to give Niku a shot before doing anything stupid. Heck, he could be a Leddy-lite before too long.

Agreed

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Isles really need a Center coming back if Leddy is part of a deal. With Lee, Ladd and Beau on the leftside and Bellows waiting in the wings it doesn't really fit the bill. Trade is fair just not whats needed

Reactions: IODCPiper

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Isles really need a Center coming back if Leddy is part of a deal. With Lee, Ladd and Beau on the leftside and Bellows waiting in the wings it doesn't really fit the bill. Trade is fair just not whats needed

Your right Isles need a Center but this gives them the ability to pull another move in order to get that center.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Not adding anything.

Ehlers would be a treat to watch in the isles top 6 ,but with Walhstrom , Bellows and JHS pushing for top 6 wings spots Ehlers would be a luxury, not a necessity.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Do not forget scouts were saying Walhstrom should be nhl ready by 2019-2020 and the isles think JHS needs to be in a top 6 role in the nhl .

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Ehlers is definitely more valuable, even taking into account position. Too young, too good, and signed too long to trade for a modest upgrade to the second pair.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is a stupidly over reactive proposal due to a player slumping.

At his worst Ehlers is still a 60 point winger.

Ehlers is the main reason the 2nd PP is not producing. He can be replaced on the half wall by either Petan or Perreault. His top 6 minutes goes to Roslovic, who is dynamite with Connor. Probably good for 20 goals/50 points with an increased role. Giving Suess and Veselainen room to grow behind them.

Leddy fits perfectly with Buff. He's not a top 2 defenseman on the Jets but he gives them legitimate 45 minutes of strong defense, like Nashville, Colorado, Minnesota, teams we need to get by.

Niku is the injury replacement for Morrow, as neither kill penalties. Whether it be this year or next, he's still not a top 4 d-man on a serious contender, that's pretty obvious. I think the Ehlers fanboys with their advanced stats get carried away.

Ehlers would look good with Barzal and Eberle.

Leddy makes the Jets a solid all around team. And gives the kids behind him room to move up. Which benefits our salary cap, trying to sign Laine, Connor and Morrissey long term, and holding out hope for Trouba.

The Isles get to rebuild their defense. I think they need a true #1 down the road to play with Pulock. I don't know enough about Pelech, but their 2nd pairing has been good.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Sounds like a deal to me. Would you be interested in adding a dependable 7th defenseman by the name of Luca Sbisa as well in return for a 7th round pick?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Love Ehlers but the isles need Defensman. Leddy is our best defenseman but I’d say he is expendable innrhe right trade.

Are you serious?

You're saying no to Ehlers for Leddy?

He's expendable in the right trade...if you're getting Ehlers, this is the right trade. You won't get a better player 1v1 for Nick Leddy.

This is shortsighted HF at it's worst, IMO.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Are you serious?

You're saying no to Ehlers for Leddy?

He's expendable in the right trade...if you're getting Ehlers, this is the right trade. You won't get a better player 1v1 for Nick Leddy.

This is shortsighted HF at it's worst, IMO.

Ehlers is young with a ton of upside by right now he’s a 2nd line winger. The islanders are stocked deep on the wing in the NHL and the prospect level.

The islanders Need a #2 Center and youngish high end Defensman.

Leddy is a # 3/4 Defensman but can play on the top pair. He’s in my mind the best skating Defensman in the NHL and I think the numbers show he’s either #1-2 at carrying the puck snd entering the zone.

Leddy is also signed long term.

So yes, with all that in mind I would not make his deal. It would have to be a bigger deal to include Eberle or Nelson. Nelson is playing as the islanders #2 Center right now so unless a center is coming back I don’t see him being included in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->