Speculation: Jets interested in O'Reilly? UPDATE: CGY Offer sheet COL matches

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the link man, is this noon CST?

Or has the interview passed already?

I'm lost, they're talking about Kadri and Feaster right now.

Sorry for the confusion. The program is called Hockeycentral @ Noon, and it's on at 12:00PM ET, 11:00am CST.

And I got busy here at work right as Chevy began his interview, therefore I can provide no details. :laugh:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He talked about the RoR situation and he didn't do a lot of digging on the offer sheet side. So I'm guessing he was more interested in a trade.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think he was interested in doing that. He was more interested in a trade. I don't think he knew that RoR would have to go on waivers. But then again he didn't do his due diligence. I wonder how many GMs knew.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Looks like there was no hiding O'Reilly, according to Scott Burnside.

Scott Burnside ‏@ESPN_Burnside
Told that if Flames successful with O'Reilly offer sheet he would have gone straight onto waivers no option to 'hide' him til offseason.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Hearing rumors now that Colorado has not filed paperwork to match Calgarys offer.

Looking for official confirmation.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
What Colorado should do:

Go to Columbus, get them to pick upROR ON WAIVERS, then trade calgarys first and third for ROR

HILARIOUS

Not sure they could do that. The wording is unclear as to who they would have to offer him to first. They may have to offer him to the next team eligible to claim him which would be the Capitals.

A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to
another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired
unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when
Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Not sure they could do that. The wording is unclear as to who they would have to offer him to first. They may have to offer him to the next team eligible to claim him which would be the Capitals.

Just talk to whoever is last, for a free pick, put WSH or whoever in CLB s place

The big question is does the trade ban fall to CLB/WSH

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Just talk to whoever is last, for a free pick, put WSH or whoever in CLB s place

The big question is does the trade ban fall to CLB/WSH

Edit: Re-read the relavant portion of the CBA.

If you obtain a player via waivers in this fashion you can't trade him for the rest of the season unless he clears waivers again. So Columbus would have to wait til teh offseason to trade him

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You could also see a situation where Columbus agrees not to put in a claim, and RoR goes straight to Washington.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658072

“Prior to tendering the offer sheet for Ryan O’Reilly we, as a hockey operations department, examined whether there were any impediments to our successfully securing the services of the player including, but not limited to, his having played in the KHL after the start of the current NHL season.

Our interpretation of the Article 13 transition rules governing restricted free agents (“RFA”), and the applicability of Article 13.23 under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to such RFA’s was, and continues to be, different than the NHL’s current interpretation as articulated to us this morning. Moreover, throughout our discussions, the player’s representative shared our interpretation and position with respect to the non-applicability of Article 13.23.

While we were prepared to advance our position with the NHL, in light of Colorado’s having matched the offer sheet it is now an academic point. As such, we will have no further comment on the matter, the player, or the offer sheet process.”

Jay Feaster

General Manager

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It's also entirely possible that the agent knew and mislead Feaster. In that case the contract would probably be void anyways.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
From the wording of the rule I think the Flames would have won if they fought it anyway.

"All Players on a Club’s Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing.

For further clarity, if Club A trades such a Player to Club B and Club B signs the Player to an SPC, such Player will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23."

O'Reilly was on a Club's Restricted Free Agent list and will be exempt in the case if a mid-season signing. It doesn't say the signing has to be with the club who is a restricted free agent with.

At the very least its ambiguous enough for the league to have voided the whole offer sheet.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I had some exchanges with Avs fans about a ROR to WPG deal and made a hypothetical offers of:

1. Little + a 2nd; OR
2. Trouba + a 2nd; OR
3. Enstrom but the Avs would have to add.

Really didn't want to give up Trouba but it was a hypothetical.

Long story short...about 75% of their posters thought Little was garbage, Trouba was an unproven chance in the dark and Enstrom was an insult. WHAT?

So yeah, I won't lose any sleep for Avs fans. They now have to qualify and pay him $6.5 for the next 3-4 years, which makes him higher paid than Jonathon Toews. His trade value with that contract has gone done by about 200%. He better be as good ask they think he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad