Speculation: Jets interested in O'Reilly? UPDATE: CGY Offer sheet COL matches

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think matching the offer sheet is a good thing overall. The last offer sheet that wasn't matched was Dustin Penner. I think we will see them slow down over the next few years.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Even with the offer sheet in place, the Winnipeg Jets still had scouts at the Avalanche game last night. This has to be what, 5 straight games now? Something has to give here. A defenseman is the likely bet.

But, I wouldn't mind at all if Chevy could swing a deal to get Paul Stastny as a Winnipeg Jet. I think at this point, whatever the deal would be, would not be THAT much. I honestly think in terms of Stastny's production, he just needs to get out of Colorado and get himself a fresh start. This is a guy who for the first 4 seasons of his career (2006-2007 to 2009-2010) had 78, 71 (in just 66 games), 36 (in 45 games), and 79 points. Not to mention his assists were 50, 47 and 59. Perhaps this could be the playmaking center for Evander Kane?

Even if he doesn't hit 70+ points, he is still a legit 50-60 point guy. On the positive side, he is a UFA after next season, and coming off a contract that paid him a 6.6 million per year, unless he hits 70 points again, he probably won't get close to that - unless a crazy team (oh, hey Calgary) would give him that kind of coin.

Perfect time for an experiment on a potential #1 center who can hit the 70+ point mark if the price was right. At the end of the day, if we deal with Colorado I think it's likely for a defenseman, but I would not mind Paul Stastny here if the price was right via trade.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Glad this whole ROR thing is over. Avs fans can stop posting pictures of Trouba on their board now. ;)

IMO, the way Calgary crafted their offer sheet is really going to sting for the Avs.

In the end the Avs get to keep their guy (hopefully there isn't any hard feelings), but that the fact that he can't be traded for a year (after next years TD), looks like the Avs will have to qualify him at 6.5 million. He had better take some major strides to be worth that. I wouldn't want to be paying a #2C 6.5 million.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Even with the offer sheet in place, the Winnipeg Jets still had scouts at the Avalanche game last night. This has to be what, 5 straight games now? Something has to give here. A defenseman is the likely bet.

But, I wouldn't mind at all if Chevy could swing a deal to get Paul Stastny as a Winnipeg Jet. I think at this point, whatever the deal would be, would not be THAT much. I honestly think in terms of Stastny's production, he just needs to get out of Colorado and get himself a fresh start. This is a guy who for the first 4 seasons of his career (2006-2007 to 2009-2010) had 78, 71 (in just 66 games), 36 (in 45 games), and 79 points. Not to mention his assists were 50, 47 and 59. Perhaps this could be the playmaking center for Evander Kane?

Even if he doesn't hit 70+ points, he is still a legit 50-60 point guy. On the positive side, he is a UFA after next season, and coming off a contract that paid him a 6.6 million per year, unless he hits 70 points again, he probably won't get close to that - unless a crazy team (oh, hey Calgary) would give him that kind of coin.

Perfect time for an experiment on a potential #1 center who can hit the 70+ point mark if the price was right. At the end of the day, if we deal with Colorado I think it's likely for a defenseman, but I would not mind Paul Stastny here if the price was right via trade.

Agreed I'd love Stastny. Wheeler and him had great chemistry in Germany, if that could carry over we'd be scary.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
So there is a story that because O'Reilly played in Russia (KHL) after January 19th, that he would have had to CLEAR waivers in order for Calgary to have gotten him in an offer sheet.

Holy. Crap.

This must be similar to when St. Louis signed Wellwood 2 years ago, but he was in the KHL and therefore had to pass through waivers, which is when SJ claimed him.

Could you imagine Colorado did not match the offer sheet, only for O'Reilly to have been opened up to Waivers, thus for sure someone would have claimed him. For. Free.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
So there is a story that because O'Reilly played in Russia (KHL) after January 19th, that he would have had to CLEAR waivers in order for Calgary to have gotten him in an offer sheet.

Holy. Crap.

This must be similar to when St. Louis signed Wellwood 2 years ago, but he was in the KHL and therefore had to pass through waivers, which is when SJ claimed him.

Could you imagine Colorado did not match the offer sheet, only for O'Reilly to have been opened up to Waivers, thus for sure someone would have claimed him. For. Free.

no Kidding. Imagine if colorado claimed him!?

a first and a third from Calgary, for nothing! talk about having your cake and eating it too.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If they're trying to get a defenseman from the Avalanche, it probably comes down to O'Brien and Hunwick. My guess is it will be O'Brien.

Ryan Jones would be nice, but I think they'd be asking more than Chevy would like to part with. Hejda is decent, but a little rich for the JETS and doesn't quite fit the age group.

O'Byrne is intriguing and probably just what the JETS blue line needs, but he is a right hand shot and if they pick up a defenseman, I'm almost sure he will be a lefty.

Maybe Greg Zanon?:dunno:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Holy. Crap.

That's not accurate. If the players NHL were controlled by a team when he left for Europe he doesn't have to clear waivers on his return. At least I think that's how it works

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
That's not accurate. If the players NHL were controlled by a team when he left for Europe he doesn't have to clear waivers on his return. At least I think that's how it works

I don't know, seems like a pretty legitimate rule and story right now? :dunno:

Further details will prevail, of course. Fascinating nonetheless.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I don't know, seems like a pretty legitimate rule and story right now? :dunno:

You may be right. I was thinking Radulov, but he was already under contract. That's a bit different.

Ok here's the relavant portion from the new CBA info document:
All Players on a Club's Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing.

For further clarity, if Club A trades such a Player to Club B and Club B signs the Player to an SPC, such Player will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23.

The ambiguity comes in cause it doesn't expressly say anything about signing of someone elses RFA.

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside
North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his
Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)
only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the
Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or
Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

And as NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN on Friday, O'Reilly would have had to clear waivers to join the Flames if he actually played in the KHL after the start of the NHL season on Jan. 19.

The move would not be unfamiliar to NHL teams, as Evgeni Nabokov was claimed by the New York Islanders from the Detroit Red Wings under the same circumstances in 2011 and the Nashville Predators plucked Marek Svatos off waivers from St. Louis.

The Avalanche matched the Flames' offer sheet to O'Reilly just hours after Calgary GM Jay Feaster announced the deal in a media statement.

Had the Avalanche not matched Calgary's offer, the club would have received the Flames' first and third-round picks in this year's draft.

Maybe COL should have taken the gamble... Don't match CAL's offer, get your draft picks, then claim him off waivers yourself ( assuming nobody else did first ).

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I believe this partly boils down to O'Reilly was (obviously) not on Calgary's "reserve list", therefore, in order to add him under the current circumstances, he would have had to clear waivers.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
What a messy situation. I am looking forward to the dust settling here so there can be clarity on this debacle. :laugh:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
They could play him next year?

Yeah. The rule states he would have to clear waivers to play in this season.

They would have sat him for the remainder of the year (he'd get paid) then they could play him next season. Still a collossal screw up on their part.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
2.5 signing bonus and 1.5 salary this year. He'd make over 3 million this year doing nothing, and 6.5 next year. So basically 9.5 million for one year of work.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They couldnt if he was healthy

IIRC there is no rule forbidding a team from not playing a healthy player. Can put him in the press box for the whole season if they want, just gotta pay him. Now maybe the player could file a complaint with the NHLPA.

Didn't Montreal do that to Gomez? They told him to stay home, until they bought him out or the season was over. And then the NHLPA was concerned that for Gomez being forced to spend an entire year away from hockey would adversely affect his ability to find employment elsewhere in the NHL during the 2013 off-season, so there was a compromise between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
IIRC there is no rule forbidding a team from not playing a healthy player. Can put him in the press box for the whole season if they want, just gotta pay him. Now maybe the player could file a complaint with the NHLPA.

Didn't Montreal do that to Gomez? They told him to stay home, until they bought him out or the season was over. And then the NHLPA was concerned that for Gomez being forced to spend an entire year away from hockey would adversely affect his ability to find employment elsewhere in the NHL during the 2013 off-season, so there was a compromise between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Yeah I mentioned that above. Both Montreal and the Rangers were going to simply sit Gomez and Redden for the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00