Speculation: Jets hunting big game. 1st rndr on table.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets' young wingers (e.g. Laine, Connor, Ehlers) need a center that is very good in his own zone. That's not Duchene. I'm not all that enthusiastic about the Jets offering a bunch of good futures for Duchene. Stone would be another story. However, I think the Jets should aim a bit lower for a forward like Zuccarello.

By the way, the Jets' top 3 centers in scoring (5v5) - points / 60:

Scheifele 2.02
Little 2.00
Copp 1.90

I'm not sure that they are that weak down the middle.
where do these 3 rank among league wide Cs? Are they in the top 31?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Or you're just a homer like your name says.. probably more likely.
Yeah I'm sure the guy that put up a PPG in the AHL and near a PPG in the KHL at age 19 sucks. You seem to have a good grasp of what you're talking about, not ignorant at all

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Evaluate and comment on posts, not posters.........one & only friendly warning.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
https://www.tsn.ca/first-round-pick-in-play-as-jets-consider-big-game-hunting-1.1252065

Any guesses?

I think they’re targeting Duchene, now that Brassard has been moved.

Extended Duchene...
2019 1st + 2020 2nd + Vesalainen

******* edit: my bad. I originally had this for an extended Duchene, considering news his agent is in Ottawa and the fact the AGM spoke to him after practice.
I decided to go with just a generic post and neglected to alter the offer....

For a rental Duchene.....
2019 1st + Appleton

Would the jets like a package of Hayes and skjei

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Cuz he doesn't want to be on 1 of the best teams in the league and instead flounder on non cup contending teams but make lots of money, which he already has? Or cap? Or cuz Winnipeg..

Because the top free agents that Winnipeg has been able to sign or retain, outside of those who have been indoctrinated into the organization from the get-go, have been all of Perreault, Kulikov, and...who am I missing? Steve Mason? Clearly, Winnipeg is an organization that players grow to love, but in 8 off-seasons, they can't seem to convince many guys to stick around for more than a year or so. And that's with Winnipeg being on the up-and-up for a handful of years running now.

Add to that that there is literally zero incentive for Duchene to forgo free agency to sign with anyone, that he'll make less money in Canada as it is, and that, barring going to a horribly mismanaged or ill-founded franchise, he isn't going to bank on whoever is competing now to be successful for the next 7.5 years.

But sure. Sign-and-trades are almost non-existent in reality, but he's going to agree to it for Winnipeg.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Because the top free agents that Winnipeg has been able to sign or retain, outside of those who have been indoctrinated into the organization from the get-go, have been all of Perreault, Kulikov, and...who am I missing? Steve Mason? Clearly, Winnipeg is an organization that players grow to love, but in 8 off-seasons, they can't seem to convince many guys to stick around for more than a year or so. And that's with Winnipeg being on the up-and-up for a handful of years running now.

Add to that that there is literally zero incentive for Duchene to forgo free agency to sign with anyone, that he'll make less money in Canada as it is, and that, barring going to a horribly mismanaged or ill-founded franchise, he isn't going to bank on whoever is competing now to be successful for the next 7.5 years.

But sure. Sign-and-trades are almost non-existent in reality, but he's going to agree to it for Winnipeg.
Things have worked out pretty well for the Jets I would have to say, dont you think? When you are one of the best teams in the league at drafting and developing top end talent, the need to get into bidding wars on free agents isnt really a nessecity.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Things have worked out pretty well for the Jets I would have to say, dont you think? When you are one of the best teams in the league at drafting and developing top end talent, the need to get into bidding wars on free agents isnt really a nessecity.

Some of its luck usually the people who think they are the smartest are the easiest to fool.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
How is that relevant in any way to the discussion at hand? Im not even sure what that means, or if it even makes any sense. But ok

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Good lord, you Jets fans are a sensitive bunch. Your comment doesn't even address the issue at hand. I have nothing against Winnipeg. (If anything, I have a soft spot for the smaller market Canadian teams.) But you can't argue against the fact that, for whatever reason, Winnipeg has struggled to attract top talent long-term. So when it comes to a situation that in and of itself is a rarity - a sign-and-trade - the facts don't favor Winnipeg.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yeah I'm sure the guy that put up a PPG in the AHL and near a PPG in the KHL at age 19 sucks. You seem to have a good grasp of what you're talking about, not ignorant at all
He's played 8 f***ing games in the AHL. Tolvanen dominated the KHL too, look how he's transitioned so far. His AHL and especially KHL success means very little until he proves it in the NHL. That goes for any prospect. It's easy to call Vesalainen a top 15 prospect just because some players from that year are going through their struggles in the NHL/AHL while there really isn't much of a sample size of Vesalainen at that level so far. But in reality you can't say he's done a whole lot more than others drafted around him to improve his draft stock.

When did I say he sucks?

Yea, but I'm ignorant.. It's like I'm debating with a 12 year old..

To go with the topic of the thread, I wouldn't move him for a rental either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad