Speculation: Jets hunting big game. 1st rndr on table.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
https://www.tsn.ca/first-round-pick-in-play-as-jets-consider-big-game-hunting-1.1252065

Any guesses?

I think they’re targeting Duchene, now that Brassard has been moved.

Extended Duchene...
2019 1st + 2020 2nd + Vesalainen

******* edit: my bad. I originally had this for an extended Duchene, considering news his agent is in Ottawa and the fact the AGM spoke to him after practice.
I decided to go with just a generic post and neglected to alter the offer....

For a rental Duchene.....
2019 1st + Appleton

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, Brassard isn't staying in FLA. He's still a possibility.

However, I wouldn't be shocked to see Duchene in WPG.

Reactions: BHD

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Idle speculation by journalists looking for clicks. Jets might be willing to give up their 1st, but it would have to be a very good value deal for Chevy, and most likely for a player that they think they have some chance of re-signing.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
need vesalainen elc i can see us trading copp and a 1st altho it would really hurt to see him go hes a great 3c and close with the young guys but we have lowry.

Reactions: north49er

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The first might be on the table but Vesalainen is not for a rental. If Jets trading both and a second you better believe they are receiving a player with at least 2-3 years term left.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If they are offering a 1st then that should do a lot of leg work, it'd take some thing more for Duchene but it'd pretty much get them most of the way to Hayes.

Brassard will likely be flipped again but would be cheaper than a 1st.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The Jets traded their 1st last year but also had all intentions and tried their best to re-sign Stastny. I doubt that the Jets trade their 1st, and certainly not their 1st and Vesalainen for Duchene, a guy that they probably don't have a high chance of re-signing.

I would hope that if the 1st (or a good prospect) is in play, it's for a piece with term, or a player they think can fit for the medium / long term.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
That is a complete throwaway article. I'm pretty sure they're just forcing the writers to post an article each day that hypes up the tradcentre ranking.

But yeah, the Jets 1st is on the table for an impact player. As is the 1st of every team looking to contend.

But Vesalainen most likely is not. Vesalainen's value to the Jets is far beyond that of their 2019 1st.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
2019 1st + 2020 2nd + Vesalainen

if this was a cost for a rental, most Jets fans would be quite displeased.

Consider what ROR got this summer:
Top 10 Protected 2019 1st rounder+2021 2nd+Tage Thompson+2 4th line cap dumps.... more or less the same to the quoted package.

ROR has term will play years for the Blues. The Jets should walk away if that's the cost for a player who spends at most ~48 games with the Jets

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Hayes seems to be a possibility, Rangers have been scouting the Jets hard, both our director of Pro Scouting and our AGM have been to games in the past week.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Idle speculation by journalists looking for clicks. Jets might be willing to give up their 1st, but it would have to be a very good value deal for Chevy, and most likely for a player that they think they have some chance of re-signing.
Idle speculation by random Hfboards poster Whileee, even though every indication is that Chevy is seriously looking to add depth

Just because something doesn't jive with your opinion doesn't mean it's 'idle speculation' lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That is a complete throwaway article. I'm pretty sure they're just forcing the writers to post an article each day that hypes up the tradcentre ranking.

But yeah, the Jets 1st is on the table for an impact player. As is the 1st of every team looking to contend.

But Vesalainen most likely is not. Vesalainen's value to the Jets is far beyond that of their 2019 1st.
Vesalainen is one of the best prospects in the NHL, and probably rates as a top-15 pick from his draft. He's not being bundled with a 1st for a rental.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Every year is supposed to be a year where top rentals come dirt cheap and every year they cost about the same - top rentals cost a first + something pretty nice almost always.
Stastny was a very nice rental. He cost a 1st, a B prospect and a 4th. I think it's more of a buyers' market this season.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Worth it if Duchene helps them win a Cup though. That's the chance you take..

So would trading every 1st round pick between here and 2030. So strawman is just a strawman.

But realistically, no team will come to the table with a competing offer that includes a piece anywhere as valuable as Vesalainen.

So the Jets won't have to use him to win a bidding war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad