Confirmed with Link: Jets have re-signed forward Dominic Toninato Post #45

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You wod have to think something is in the works or he atleast wants to do something if the opportunity is there.

He now has guaranteed that he is keeping two thirds of his third line intact for next season.

Given the recent contracts I just have a hard time seeing Copp and Chevy coming to a Co tract agreement. My guess is Copp wants north of $5 and Jets won't want to go over $4. I think getting the Lowry deal done prior to the summer was another shrewd move. Lowry likely gets a million more if he waits to test the market. I also think the Lowry deal is the basis of any Copp deal given how the Jets set up their salary structure. All of our core guys are locked in within a million of each other and I have to think that is also how they will approach it with our support pieces.
Yeah I think you are right on this. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Copp will be moving on. I expect a trade prior to the expansion draft. C'mon Chevy make it a good one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe Chevy is trading a forward but it isn't Copp??? Maybe it's Apples? Maybe it's Hark?

I think Copper is protected if he isn't moved by then. No way in the world you leave him exposed unless Seattle's 2nd is coming back. You'd get a 1st for him at the TD, maybe more.
Also, comparing him to RNH is not really on equal grounds. He outperformed him points wise last season but Copp's 2nd highest season is 28 points and RNH's last time he scored in the 20's was
around 8 years ago and he only played 40 games that year.
If anything, RNH's contract tells me that Copper should be worth about 3.75m-4m over 4 or 5 years.
Hopefully, Chevy is trading Copper to shore up the D and offering Coleman 4m or 4.5m over 5 or so years. No way TB can afford him next year.
Copper for Murphy straight up after the draft. We lose Copper and Apples (XD) and get Murphy (that we have a year to get him to extend).

JMo - Murphy
Stanimal/Heinola - Pionk
Heinola/Stanimal - DD
Maybe Slamberg plays his way onto the team?

It's not RNH that is the issue it's the Eriksson Ek contract that is the issue. Defensive first center that hasn't cracked 40 points and has only paced in the low 40's/82 games that just signed for north of $5 million that is the issue. You add in Pegeau who signed a 6 year $5 million aav deal a year ago and its pretty easy to see where his agent is going with Copp. Copp has comparable numbers to each and both got atleast $5 million aav.

Copp also hasn't shown that he is willing to play nice with his contracts already going through arbitration once. He has a hard ass agent and is going to use all the leverage he has to extract as much as he can. Nothing wrong with that BTW as it is a business but I have a hard time seeing Chevy capitulate and mess up the teams salary structure for Copp.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Copp is probably going to want 5 million a season and that's just too much for him. Hopefully Chevy uses Copp in a trade for a decent defenseman , we need that more than we need Copp.

Reactions: GNP and SCP Guy

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I really like Copp as a player, if I were a coach I would love to have him in the roster because he can play anywhere and do a decent job, is responsible and smart etc.

If I was a GM, Copp is not the kind of player I would not spend a lot of money on, he's the kind of guy you can replace with someone else for cheap, or at least as a GM I would think that I can do that :) He's playing the kind of game you want to be played by someone who flies under the radar a bit and can be had for cheap. Once they start demanding money or have one-off offensive seasons which drive value up, as a GM I'd want to move on and capitalize on that value.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Well, he is quicker than Nate T and scored that clutch goal in the EDM series. Maybe he’s our cut-price Spezza/ Tanev once he’s fully healed up. More likely he heads to the Moose if he’s on a two way I guess.

Last edited:

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I'm not even sure it is that. I think it is that Copp is going to be an impossible negotiation. Given the contracts Eriksson-Ek and the Nuge just signed, Copp had a better season than either of them, and his agent is a hardballer.

Jets may just protect Appleton and let Copp be exposed. If the Kraken draft Copper, over say De Melo, might not even have to sweeten the pot, which is good asset management, losing a player you are a year from losing anyways.

I'm surprised Toninato qualifies, his 2 games this year, plus 46 the year before don't meet 70 games, the requirement, but maybe things have been amended? Listed as qualified on Cap Friendly.

Good signing, going to battle with Harkins and Ves on that left wing. Can compete with Gus at centre. Could win a job as a PKer, especially if Copp leaves.
Or they may protect Stanley....

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I really like Copp as a player, if I were a coach I would love to have him in the roster because he can play anywhere and do a decent job, is responsible and smart etc.

If I was a GM, Copp is not the kind of player I would not spend a lot of money on, he's the kind of guy you can replace with someone else for cheap, or at least as a GM I would think that I can do that :) He's playing the kind of game you want to be played by someone who flies under the radar a bit and can be had for cheap. Once they start demanding money or have one-off offensive seasons which drive value up, as a GM I'd want to move on and capitalize on that value.

The other thing is you have this Perfettti guy, and you probably slot in him in a top 6, and we are still a top 6, checking line, 4th line team, so if Perfetti pushes Copp out of the top 6, that's a huge investment to make for a checking line player. I'd say he is everything you are going to get with Eriksson-Ek, and more, he's the #1 PK guaranteed. If the Jets listen to offers, there will be a lot I suspect.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why does the second year being a one-way matter? It doesn’t effect the cap if he is on the Moose so it is irrelevant unless you are concerned about TNSE bottom line in overall expenses. Even if you are I’m guessing they have an AHL player salary budget and figure they can fit it within it.

Good point. As long as they send him down, it is only money.

He looked good in his very brief Jets season. He seems to have impressed someone favourably.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good point. As long as they send him down, it is only money.

He looked good in his very brief Jets season. He seems to have impressed someone favourably.

If he can fill a fourth line role great, if not he can be easily buried.

It's more about what him being eligible may allow Chevy to do heading into the expansion draft for me.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really liked Toninato in his limited play with us. Kind of reminded me of a Tanev type - good cheap 4th liner who is aggressive and forechecks hard with speed. Good depth move.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I find the Copp talk quite interesting so could someone maybe make a Copp thread as it’s buried in a Toninato (!!) thread right now.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Really liked Toninato when he was healthy. Clear step up from Thompson and Lewis.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
His 5 game sample size isn't really enough to say that. I also was quite happy with how Lewis played on our fourth line :dunno:
I also liked Lewis, I just think Toninato is better now and has room to grow. He also looked way too good to be on the Moose in his few games there.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Year 1 is a 2 way no? Year 2 1 way?

Think he's likely moose bound to start

Perhaps that’s what makes him an attractive selection for Seattle. Having the ability to pass him through waivers has to be an option they consider as they do need to select some players for their AHL team. Can’t carry 31 players on their NHL roster.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I doubt Seattle would give us anything in that situation. Maybe this all falls out that we lose Copp and thus keep Appleton, Stanley and DeMelo. Is that such a terrible result? Investing in Copp at Overcharge prices is probably unwise.
Likely would equal a step back, under Maurice's bench management and player useage. We would likely see way too much of Scheifs and Wheels pumped out in wrong situations, that is, defensive/ PK roles without Copp and Apples gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad