Confirmed with Link: Jets have re-signed forward Dominic Toninato Post #45

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Well, Toninato apparently qualifies to be exposed according to CapFriendly (though, I haven't mathed out why lol). Yes, this does open up the possibility that we trade Copp (or possibly expose to Seattle?), protect Appleton, and leave Harkins and Toninato exposed.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I agree, he is likely demanding 5 plus now and if he doesn't get it will go through arbitration and walk in a year.

That is too much cash for him and if that is his stance I deal him plus for a dmen and protect Appelton.
In this scenario I guess we protect Appleton and the new defenseman and just let Seattle choose between Stanley and DeMelo and be done with it?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I agree, he is likely demanding 5 plus now and if he doesn't get it will go through arbitration and walk in a year.

That is too much cash for him and if that is his stance I deal him plus for a dmen and protect Appelton.

If we trade for a d-man, then we have to trade with Seattle to protect our other key d-men, unless that d-man is expansion draft protected. I'd poop my pants if we traded him with other pieces for Braden Schneider. But I think the Jets might just let Copp go, even if Seattle drafts him unsigned they could flip him for a pretty good piece. He's the most valuable Jet in the expansion draft discussion. For Chevy, it's got to be hard to be loyal to a guy you probably know is going to walk away in a year. But that's not an inside take by any means.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we trade for a d-man, then we have with Seattle to trade to protect our d-men, unless that d-man is expansion draft protected. I'd poop my pants if we traded him with other pieces for Braden Schneider. But I think the Jets might just let Copp go, even if Seattle drafts him unsigned they could flip him for a pretty good piece. He's the most valuable Jet in the expansion draft discussion. For Chevy, it's got to be hard to be loyal to a guy you probably know is going to walk away in a year. But that's not an inside take by any means.

I just think Copp is too valuable an asset to expose without us getting something from Seattle in order to do that.

Maybe we have a deal worked our with them to leave him exposed plus something for a en they select.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I just think Copp is too valuable an asset to expose without us getting something from Seattle in order to do that.

Maybe we have a deal worked our with them to leave him exposed plus something for a en they select.

I doubt Seattle would give us anything in that situation. Maybe this all falls out that we lose Copp and thus keep Appleton, Stanley and DeMelo. Is that such a terrible result? Investing in Copp at Overcharge prices is probably unwise.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and GNP

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Well, Toninato apparently qualifies to be exposed according to CapFriendly (though, I haven't mathed out why lol). Yes, this does open up the possibility that we trade Copp (or possibly expose to Seattle?), protect Appleton, and leave Harkins and Toninato exposed.
Toninato qualifies because he played 49 games for Florida in 19-20 and 5 for the Jets this season, totalling 54 games - which is exactly enough for the 2 year requirement of at least 54 games. So if he had played 1 less game, he wouldn’t meet the requirement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt Seattle would give us anything in that situation. Maybe this all falls out that we lose Copp and thus keep Appleton, Stanley and DeMelo. Is that such a terrible result? Investing in Copp at Overcharge prices is probably unwise.

I mean they have next to no good centers available to them as things stand so I can see them valuing a real good two-way center quite highly. Also Copp is the type of player on an expiring contract that they could flip.for a first plus at the deadline if they are aiming to grab a lot of picks and build more patiently then Vegas.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Crow is very tough bird. Always tastes gritty.
upload_2021-7-6_14-52-43.gif

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Expansion draft move, I think. If Copp or Appleton is traded before the draft, they need another forward eligible.
Late to the party, but this would be exactly why he was signed. The 2nd year being one-way was the sweetener.

It does seem to suggest the Jets are making a move to maybe move Copp, and needed another eligible forward in order to protect Appleton. PoMo does like stapling Appleton to Lowry’s hip.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Toninato qualifies because he played 49 games for Florida in 19-20 and 5 for the Jets this season, totalling 54 games - which is exactly enough for the 2 year requirement of at least 54 games. So if he had played 1 less game, he wouldn’t meet the requirement.

Ah, I forgot to include the playoff games. Thanks!

Reactions: trebendan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Late to the party, but this would be exactly why he was signed. The 2nd year being one-way was the sweetener.

It does seem to suggest the Jets are making a move to maybe move Copp, and needed another eligible forward in order to protect Appleton. PoMo does like stapling Appleton to Lowry’s hip.

Yup I think it's a sign that negotiations aren't going well with Copp and that he is on the market.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and Bob E

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I mean they have next to no good centers available to them as things stand so I can see them valuing a real good two-way center quite highly. Also Copp is the type of player on an expiring contract that they could flip.for a first plus at the deadline if they are aiming to grab a lot of picks and build more patiently then Vegas.

Hmmm, I can skeptical about them being able to get a 1st plus for Copp at the tradeline. They would also have to substract whatever compensation they would have to pay Winnipeg under your scenario.

What do you think Seattle would give up for the ability to select Copp?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Agree. I've indicated I think Copp might be a trade asset, and the ability to protect Appleton adds value to a Copp trade for the Jets.

I wonder what the Jets might do for their D protection list. I guess it depends on whether they can pull the trigger on a trade to acquire a 1-2 RD. If so, I think they might protect Stanley and leave DeMelo unprotected. His 3M cap hit combined with savings on a Copp contract would give the Jets a lot of cap flexibility for free agency or a trade.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Two years, two way would have been alright. One way?
Why does the second year being a one-way matter? It doesn’t effect the cap if he is on the Moose so it is irrelevant unless you are concerned about TNSE bottom line in overall expenses. Even if you are I’m guessing they have an AHL player salary budget and figure they can fit it within it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's easy when you are the only team willing to sign someone. No one signs 4th line dumpster fires better than Chevy.
I think you are missing the plot on this one. I’ve been pretty critical of Chevy as of late but getting another forward under contract that is expansion draft eligible gives him the flexibility to make moves. Good work on this one.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Agree. I've indicated I think Copp might be a trade asset, and the ability to protect Appleton adds value to a Copp trade for the Jets.

I wonder what the Jets might do for their D protection list. I guess it depends on whether they can pull the trigger on a trade to acquire a 1-2 RD. If so, I think they might protect Stanley and leave DeMelo unprotected. His 3M cap hit combined with savings on a Copp contract would give the Jets a lot of cap flexibility for free agency or a trade.

Wouldn't they have to leave both Stanley and Demelo unprotected in this scenario?

Trade Copp for a D, protect Appleton and
You would protect:
1. Morrissey
2. Pionk
3. The new 1-2 RD

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you are missing the plot on this one. I’ve been pretty critical of Chevy as of late but getting another forward under contract that is expansion draft eligible gives him the flexibility to make moves. Good work on this one.

Exactly, the kid is fine as a 12th/13th forward and him being expansion draft eligible gives Chevy the flexibility to now protect Appelton who is a pretty key depth piece for us. Had we not done this we would have had to expose Appelton to meet the two forward requirement.

This was a very heady move and now allows us to move Copp while protecting the rest of our forward depth for the expansion draft.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly, the kid is fine as a 12th/13th forward and him being expansion draft eligible gives Chevy the flexibility to now protect Appelton who is a pretty key depth piece for us. Had we not done this we would have had to expose Appelton to meet the two forward requirement.

This was a very heady move and now allows us to move Copp while protecting the rest of our forward depth for the expansion draft.
Agreed. I'm looking forward to see if there is a next step. But I do like that Chevy has given himself room to make deals. I'll give Chevy credit this was a pretty minor move that could pay dividends, and better to do it now rather than at the last minute when he would be in a worse bargaining position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. I'm looking forward to see if there is a next step. But I do like that Chevy has given himself room to make deals. I'll give Chevy credit this was a pretty minor move that could pay dividends, and better to do it now rather than at the last minute when he would be in a worse bargaining position.

You wod have to think something is in the works or he atleast wants to do something if the opportunity is there.

He now has guaranteed that he is keeping two thirds of his third line intact for next season.

Given the recent contracts I just have a hard time seeing Copp and Chevy coming to a Co tract agreement. My guess is Copp wants north of $5 and Jets won't want to go over $4. I think getting the Lowry deal done prior to the summer was another shrewd move. Lowry likely gets a million more if he waits to test the market. I also think the Lowry deal is the basis of any Copp deal given how the Jets set up their salary structure. All of our core guys are locked in within a million of each other and I have to think that is also how they will approach it with our support pieces.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maybe Chevy is trading a forward but it isn't Copp??? Maybe it's Apples? Maybe it's Hark?

I think Copper is protected if he isn't moved by then. No way in the world you leave him exposed unless Seattle's 2nd is coming back. You'd get a 1st for him at the TD, maybe more.
Also, comparing him to RNH is not really on equal grounds. He outperformed him points wise last season but Copp's 2nd highest season is 28 points and RNH's last time he scored in the 20's was
around 8 years ago and he only played 40 games that year.
If anything, RNH's contract tells me that Copper should be worth about 3.75m-4m over 4 or 5 years.
Hopefully, Chevy is trading Copper to shore up the D and offering Coleman 4m or 4.5m over 5 or so years. No way TB can afford him next year.
Copper for Murphy straight up after the draft. We lose Copper and Apples (XD) and get Murphy (that we have a year to get him to extend).

JMo - Murphy
Stanimal/Heinola - Pionk
Heinola/Stanimal - DD
Maybe Slamberg plays his way onto the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad