Post-Game Talk: Jets hang on, beat Arizona 4-3

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd put Petan's performance somewhere between where is harshest critics peg him and where his biggest fans have him slotted. I thought he was pretty good in a limited role. Nice deflection, a couple nice passes and seemed to be playing with more pace to his game. Bad penalty at the end but doesn't take away that he looked better than when he was sent down. Not sure if he dresses with a fully healthy lineup, but IMO he should at least slot above Dano and Matthias in a 13/14 role. I'd like to see him get a couple more starts while we are waiting to get more players back. Maybe he gives as a MP light type production from the 4th line down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I agree. Also have to factor in that he was basically matched up with AHL level competition. He turned the puck over almost every time he touched it in the 3rd and handed Keller a golden opportunity when he came flying out of the penalty box and just chased the puck instead of playing LW and taking his man.

IMO on this roster he’s right where he belongs. He’ll be competing with Dano for injury replacement ice.

Reactions: FFHockey

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I think that is the fourth line Friday. But once we are "fully" healthy Dano is definitely in the PB. If that, we may have to look at throwing him in a deadline deal, unless you want to waive him. With Roslo going nowhere we will eventually have like 15 forwards and that is not even counting Petan.
Now is the time to move Dano keeping him and losing Petan would be a disaster. Dano and Perreault to Montreal please.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Watching this team really just blows my mind a bit. I can't help but wonder just how good this team is and is going to be. If we weren't lucky enough already to have young star/elite guys like Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, the emergence of 21-year olds Connor and Roslovic to this point is almost too damn exciting. :laugh: .. The entire depth of this team and organization right now is just so damn impressive.

Think of the state of this organization 7 years ago as we got the team in May 2011 to now. TNSE, Chipman, Chevy and co. did it their way, their blueprint, not LA's way or the "right way" or the conventional way according to some, and look where we are. It feels good. While I always wanted to keep the faith and believe in Chevy and his plan, I at times wavered and began to lose faith last year. But this team, man... this organization, it just looks so damn impressive right now.

Last edited:

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
If Roslo is a winger will Taney be a healthy scratch in play offs?
I mean you have Wheeler/ Ehlers/Roslo/Armia/ Tanev on one side.
Laine/Perrault/ Copp/Connor
Centres are chef/ little/ Lowry/ Hendricks. Is it a non-issue as you'll never have a completely healthy team?
Move Lemieux to Montreal Petan is more talented and Tanev is a better faster younger cheaper checker.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Petan was great tonight, probably the best C on ice tonight for the Jets. That play where he passed the puck back from behind the goalline to Dano while selling that he was going around was amazing. His line spent almost no time in the defensive zone and was great positionally. The penalties were unfortunate breaks but other than that he was brilliant. If he keeps it up, no way he should be sent down when people are healthy. Dano could have had a couple of goals from Petan dishes tonight. Those who still didn't like his game tonight probably don't know hockey. Hopefully next game we get to see Petan-Scheifele-Dano or Dano-Petan-Roslovic line :)

Roslovic had a great game.

Forgettable game from Laine. Need to see him more committed on the forecheck.

Starting to get annoyed by Ehlers refusal to make the simple play lately. Found myself wishing at times that he would just dump the puck in or take a low shot and hope for a rebound instead of trying all those fancy plays.

I am not going to harp on it but that Lemieux penalty infuriating. I can understand penalties when you are in a puck battle or part of the play but that penalty was so unnecessary, there was no puck battle, he was going off for a change but decided to go after the Coyotes player.
Time to put Schiefele,Ehlers and Laine back together on the second line with Wheeler , Connor and Little on the first.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Future Perrault replacement? I think you are stretching things. Perrault is a one in a thousand player. Petan had a great game but has not proved he is better than Roslo, Connor, Ehlers. To believe that the whole team is full of all stars and yet that we aren't #1 in the league is such a huge stretch.
I strongly disagree Petan will be twice the player Perreault ever was or ever will be. Move him at the trade deadline he is a bum.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
I strongly disagree Petan will be twice the player Perreault ever was or ever will be. Move him at the trade deadline he is a bum.
I liked a lot about Petan’s game last night and would like to see him continue for now as the fourth line centre but I’d hardly call Perreault a “bum”..

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Watching this team really just blows my mind a bit. I can't help but wonder just how good this team is and is going to be. If we weren't lucky enough already to have young star/elite guys like Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, the emergence of 21-year olds Connor and Roslovic to this point is almost too damn exciting. :laugh: .. The entire depth of this team and organization right now is just so damn impressive.

Think of the state of this organization 7 years ago as we got the team in May 2011 to now. TNSE, Chipman, Chevy and co. did it their way, their blueprint, not LA's way or the "right way" according to some, and look where we are. It feels good. While I always wanted to keep the faith and believe in Chevy and his plan, I at times wavered and began to lose faith last year. But this team, man... this organization, it just looks so damn impressive right now.
Agree completely with this. Amazing the way it has all come together this season despite a lot of injuries. Insane depth is just further proof of the great job the organization has done in building this franchise.

Reactions: Guerzy

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I liked Petan last night. If he could continue to play like that, I'd be very happy.

Maybe when we start getting healthy Dano is the one to go? I still don't see an NHL level performer out of him.

The National Anthems last night brought tears to my eyes. They were some of the best I've ever heard, at any sporting event. Magnificent!

Reactions: Guerzy

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Petan was noticeable - both positively and negatively, which may be his undoing. Great tip for the goal, lots of energy, some really nice passing and creativity (Dano should’ve buried at least one of his chances set up by Petan).

However, two penalties, some turnovers and some defensive positioning lapses. The overall issue being that Maurice isn’t looking for 4th line heroes - he’s looking for players that play a straightforward, simple game that can be trusted in all situations in his bottom 6. Copp would be a good example of this.

Petan isn’t that type of player - perhaps he could develop into it, but I think he’s more suited to a top 6 role. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the Jets have perhaps 9 better top 6 options when fully healthy: Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, Little, Connor, Perreault and arguably Roslovic and Armia. If the Jets add a top-6 winger at the deadline, he’ll be even further down the depth chart.

Nic is a good player but given the Jets’ current roster, he’s inevitably going to be either miscast in a bottom 6 role or sentenced to the AHL. Unfortunately, it’s probably best for Petan that he gets traded to a team that has more of a need for younger skill players at the top end of their roster.

Reactions: Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Petan's second penalty was weird as ****. He tripped head first into the boards and the other guy tripped over his head. Dangerous play actually.

Weird for sure. Players were falling all over the ice though -- looked like ice quality might have been a problem yet again.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I disagree about Connor. I think he's continued to play well, and he's still producing even though he's not on the top line.

Yep. He was strong last night and his assist -- speed, directness and vision -- was a thing of beauty. For me he's been one of those players you need to watch off the puck in order to see how smart his game is. Nothing somnolent about Connor.

Reactions: Whileee and Ducky10

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Petan was noticeable - both positively and negatively, which may be his undoing. Great tip for the goal, lots of energy, some really nice passing and creativity (Dano should’ve buried at least one of his chances set up by Petan).

However, two penalties, some turnovers and some defensive positioning lapses. The overall issue being that Maurice isn’t looking for 4th line heroes - he’s looking for players that play a straightforward, simple game that can be trusted in all situations in his bottom 6. Copp would be a good example of this.

Petan isn’t that type of player - perhaps he could develop into it, but I think he’s more suited to a top 6 role. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the Jets have perhaps 9 better top 6 options when fully healthy: Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, Little, Connor, Perreault and arguably Roslovic and Armia. If the Jets add a top-6 winger at the deadline, he’ll be even further down the depth chart.

Nic is a good player but given the Jets’ current roster, he’s inevitably going to be either miscast in a bottom 6 role or sentenced to the AHL. Unfortunately, it’s probably best for Petan that he gets traded to a team that has more of a need for younger skill players at the top end of their roster.

Oddly, I can see him being a good fit in Ari. Might need to ping Chay on LinkedIn.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He might deserve one but he won't get one if Hendricks is healthy.
Just because that might be true, doesn't make it right. I think in the grand scheme of things it shows he's a viable option down the road, they won't ignore his skill level and IQ.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Kuli's goal was all Connor, his acceleration through the neutral zone and ability to get the D to back off the line for fear of getting beat bought time for Kuli to jump up and be in position. Kuli made a nice read but it was only available because three guys had their eyed glued to Connor.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I really feel like a contrarian on this board after watching the game.

Even with Petan's goal, I wasn't impressed with his game. He looked like he was really struggling out there. I don't see how people can say he is MP's replacement.

Wheeler is mostly a monster player, BUT he is by far the worst at getting the puck out of our own zone, not Laine, who always seems to get the blame. And Wheeler needs to figure out how to get off the ice BEFORE he needs to. One PK last night, he literally couldn't move more than a few inches at a time, he was simply a pilon.

I thought Myers was very good last night. His moves to get out of our end and get around players are incredible. Same in the O zone, his ability to psych out players and make them look silly is amazing. His ability to disrupt a play in the D zone is equally good.

All in all, considering we are missing 3 of our 4 regular centers and a top D, I guess there isn't too much to complain about :)

Please everyone get healthy!!!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Roslovic has been improving game after game. I believe he could stick with the team for the remainder of the season, but would get sent down for ice time.

His positioning is outstanding. I just think his mindset and strength are the only two things he really needs to work on.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Please send Petan back to where he belongs.

I realize he scored but still want him gone.
Petan had a good game. Scored and really nice setups for Dano on at least a couple occasions. OK got flagged for a couple penalties which isn't good, but let your Petan hate die a little - he's gonna be a dang good player for some NHL team some day.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad