Proposal: Jets-Golden Knights

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I haven't seen a single Chicago Wolves game in person...

...therefore I'm not allowed to comment on his play and development. :laugh:

Btw you do realize the Wolves have one of the worst home records and a pretty good road record, right? Not to mention young Brannstrom is still adjusting to a smaller ice surface. Perhaps you should take this into account ;)

Those words never came out of my mouth/hand...you have every right to your opinion...As Do I! And MINE...having seen him play EVERY home game this season and multiple ones on the road is...He WILL NOT be ready to step into an NHL role next season based on where he is in his development right now...he makes too many mistakes that need to be corrected before he can even think of moving up...but like I said...I do think he will be good at the NHL level...just not next season. I don't understand the whole rush them into the NHL mentality. Vegas has a great situation right now of having a bunch of NHL defensemen in Vegas and not needing to rush anything or anyone. Ice size is a good point...yes I do realize it...takes more then 2 1/2 months to get adjusted to it right? ;)

BTW... You do realize you are talking to a Chicago Wolves Season Ticket Holder of over 20+ years right? I'm well aware of their records and also what some of the problems are as well...Goaltending is one of the main problems right now with Dansk being the biggest one. Poor angles...too deep in net at times. Gave up 5 on 15 recently and looked bad doing it. Another thing to keep in mind...seeing him in person gives me the chance to focus just on him...can't do that on tv or highlights.
You want a Defenseman that will probably play in Vegas next year and maybe even at the end of this one?? Nic Hague...can easily see him making the jump at least for a bit next year and maybe all year.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
This would be a terrible trade for the Jets........ as it would create a terrible future headache at the Seattle expansion draft.

All 3 players VesaLaine / Branstrom and Hague were drafted in the 2017 draft.

All 3 players will slide there E.L.C year and have 3 years left on E.L.Cs next year, if none of them play 10 games in the N.H.L. this year.

Due to their late birthdays after Sept 15 th Brannstrom and Hague will be expansion eligible and will have to be protected. Just as Poulin on N.Y.I & Mantha on Det. Had to be protected.

Vesalaine due to his early birthday will not have to be protected in the expansion draft.

Vegas is okay due to them not having to supply a player for expansion purposes. ( other wise they would be screwed on defence trying to protect 6 defenceman in Theodore, Scmidt, Miller,McNabb, Hague and Branstrom.

No...No they won't...all of the people going on about how Vegas has to protect guys etc should've paid more attention to the announcement!!!! VEGAS IS EXEMPT FROM THIS EXPANSION DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was announced on day 1...in fact it was also mentioned WAY back when Seattle tendered their bid that the expansion draft should there be one would follow the same rules as the last one with Vegas being exempt and not losing any players.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trading aging vets who are eating salary cap make more sense

Except that none of our aging vets who are eating salary cap would get us a player = to Brannstrom, or even close.

There is no argument that can make trading a blue chip prospect in an area of strength for a blue chip prospect in an area of weakness into something that 'you just never do'.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So why're Jet fans saying? That if Winnipeg moves Trouba they need a LD coming back. So it sounds to me that they can use a LHD prospect.

Who is saying that? If Trouba moves we need RHD in return. We could take a LHD as a second choice because we also need LHD but that is a little different than having a preference for LHD. The need on the right side is much greater.

Reactions: Peggy

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He said no such thing.

It's not at all what he said.

It's not semantics, that's not what he said. There is quite the difference between "Won't be a top 6 player" and "Won't be a top 6 player on the Jets as soon as he cracks the lineup". This is not a "potato" / "potato" scenario, the words used have context and meaning.

Definitely not a pointless trade. You might not agree with the point of it, but it is logical and worth consideration. Lots of teams trade prospects for prospects, it's just blue-chip prospects are traded less frequently. The Jets would be upgrading an area of need at the cost coming from an area of strength. I honestly feel like you're not giving Brannstrom enough credit.

We already have to do this to be able to sign Connor / Laine. Also, no one is trading their blue-chip prospects for "aging vets who are eating salary cap".

He literally did

And no one said anyone was trading prospects for aging vets either . For someone to be so nitpicky with my posts you sure got it wrong

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So why're Jet fans saying? That if Winnipeg moves Trouba they need a LD coming back. So it sounds to me that they can use a LHD prospect.
Preference for a trade with Trouba is a RHD, but would settle for LHD. The Jets have some ok-good LHD prospects in Niku, Samberg and Stanley. If Trouba is dealt the hope would be for a current top 4 Dman, not a prospect.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
He literally did

And no one said anyone was trading prospects for aging vets either . For someone to be so nitpicky with my posts you sure got it wrong

He literally did not. Context is a thing, which is an important part of reading comprehension.

Vesa is a quality winger that will make the team in the near future but not in the top six, they have amble of top six wingers so he has little chance of cracking the Jets top six. No matter how good he gets in the next year or two who would he beat out of the top six?

I have quoted libertarian's post which you are referencing. Note how there are caveats attached to his assertion. This is because he was explicitly stating that in his opinion, Vesalainen will not make the Jet's top 6 when he joins the team. This is inherently different than say that Vesalainen will never be a top 6 caliber player. Once again, this is not semantics, these are two entirely different assertions.

Trading aging vets who are eating salary cap make more sense

This post, in the context of the discussion and the thread, leads one to believe you are suggesting trading "aging vets who are eating salary cap" for D prospects. Considering this thread's premise is trading a top offensive prospect for a top defensive prospect, I feel that assumption is fair. If the assumption is wrong, it's most likely because the post did not contain enough information to properly convey your intended message.

I can explain everything to you in different ways, but I can't understand it for you. If you still don't get it, I can't help any further.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He literally did

He literally did not. Maybe in the future you should literally actually read the posts you wish to discuss?

Stopped when you said vesa won't be a top 6 player

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I think you are being pretty optimistic calling the Jets LD prospects a logjam. Niku is still not a sure thing to make the top 4. Samberg is not progressing and while Stanley is progressing he is still a long shot to make the NHL at any level. All 3 are very much still unproven prospects. Brannstrom would be at the top of that list.
I disagree. I don't think he is such a sure thing that we need to make a move for him.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
No...No they won't...all of the people going on about how Vegas has to protect guys etc should've paid more attention to the announcement!!!! VEGAS IS EXEMPT FROM THIS EXPANSION DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was announced on day 1...in fact it was also mentioned WAY back when Seattle tendered their bid that the expansion draft should there be one would follow the same rules as the last one with Vegas being exempt and not losing any players.

WOW....... You just went on a rant to say exactly what I wrote.

I said Vegas is okay as they do not have to supply a player for expansion. I then said that they would be in trouble if they did have to. As Brannstrom and Hague would have to be exposed due to their late birthdays ( after Sept 15th).
If Vegas was not exempt.

You then had a cow using Bold letters saying the same thing I said when quoting my post.

Best to read the post you are quoting carefully ....... so it doesn't make you appear silly.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Branstrom and Hague would be expansion eligible if traded to a different team other than Vegas which is exempt from expansion.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I haven't seen a single Chicago Wolves game in person...

...therefore I'm not allowed to comment on his play and development. :laugh:

Btw you do realize the Wolves have one of the worst home records and a pretty good road record, right? Not to mention young Brannstrom is still adjusting to a smaller ice surface. Perhaps you should take this into account ;)
Read the article on the AHL.com website about Brannstrom...I think you'll find it interesting and informative...please remember said article was published yesterday AFTER i made my comments/opinion

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
WOW....... You just went on a rant to say exactly what I wrote.

I said Vegas is okay as they do not have to supply a player for expansion. I then said that they would be in trouble if they did have to. As Brannstrom and Hague would have to be exposed due to their late birthdays ( after Sept 15th).
If Vegas was not exempt.

You then had a cow using Bold letters saying the same thing I said when quoting my post.

Best to read the post you are quoting carefully ....... so it doesn't make you appear silly.
ok you win wayne...can you tell why you would even bother to post that entire post as you did unless it was to do what it did...which was to mislead someone into thinking you were saying they have to be protected? Wouldn't it have been easier to just say Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft? Or are you of the opinion that everyone is stupid and wouldn't understand what that means?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
ok you win wayne...can you tell why you would even bother to post that entire post as you did unless it was to do what it did...which was to mislead someone into thinking you were saying they have to be protected? Wouldn't it have been easier to just say Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft? Or are you of the opinion that everyone is stupid and wouldn't understand what that means?

Who is Wayne?

1) I do not think everyone is stupid.

2) I do think if someone is going to take the time to quote someone, they should read that post twice to make sure they understand what is being said.

3) I clearly stated that Vegas was okay as they not have to expose a player to the upcoming expansion.

4) The conversation was about the Jets trading Vesalaine a player that should not be expansion eligible to gain a defenceman Branstrom that the Jets would have to protect in the expansion draft due to his late birthday.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree. I don't think he is such a sure thing that we need to make a move for him.

I didn't say anything about acquiring Brannstrom. Very few prospects are sure things until they make. He is very highly regarded though and is at least living up to expectations. I've stayed neutral on this trade proposal, but Vesalainen isn't a sure thing either. Brannstrom is at least as likely a hit as Vesalainen is.

What I said was that you are rating our own prospects as too close to sure things. We don't have a logjam. We don't have anything remotely close to a logjam. We are weak at left D in both leagues.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He literally did not. Maybe in the future you should literally actually read the posts you wish to discuss?

He said won't make in the top 6
Wtf do you want from lol.

I think vesalainen may be very capable of doing so. I think he could he the same effect like Connor has had, But more so on the physical side/defensively

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I didn't say anything about acquiring Brannstrom. Very few prospects are sure things until they make. He is very highly regarded though and is at least living up to expectations. I've stayed neutral on this trade proposal, but Vesalainen isn't a sure thing either. Brannstrom is at least as likely a hit as Vesalainen is.

What I said was that you are rating our own prospects as too close to sure things. We don't have a logjam. We don't have anything remotely close to a logjam. We are weak at left D in both leagues.
I think we're kind of agreeing. I didn't say any of our prospects were a sure thing, you added that. I just said why trade a good wing prospect for a good D prospect. It just gives us one less prospect in one area and one more prospect in another area. Not worth the trouble.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we're kind of agreeing. I didn't say any of our prospects were a sure thing, you added that. I just said why trade a good wing prospect for a good D prospect. It just gives us one less prospect in one area and one more prospect in another area. Not worth the trouble.

I was objecting to you calling our LD prospects a logjam. We have issues with D on both sides and our prospects are an iffy solution.

The reason to do it is because we are very strong on the wings and need help on D. It isn't just shuffling prospects. It is matching prospects to needs. It is a little like drafting for need but these players are a year and a half past their draft so are a fair bit more known quantities. Question is, would VGK want to swap D future for wing future?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I think that narrative was put to bed a long time ago. We could definitely use more help on LHD, right this minute, but Niku, Samberg and yes, even Stanley will be competing for spots behind Morrissey very soon. We could use a bandaid at that position. If trading Trouba, I'd like to take a look at C. Something like Trochek and another lesser piece.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Brännstrom has 20 points in 23 AHL games.

That's pretty good for a rookie and beginner on smaller rinks, and he's only like 12 years old.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I was objecting to you calling our LD prospects a logjam. We have issues with D on both sides and our prospects are an iffy solution.

The reason to do it is because we are very strong on the wings and need help on D. It isn't just shuffling prospects. It is matching prospects to needs. It is a little like drafting for need but these players are a year and a half past their draft so are a fair bit more known quantities. Question is, would VGK want to swap D future for wing future?

I think that you are overstating our strength on the wings - at least prospect wise - a bit.

Of the Jets young core (on the roster), wingers are definitely a strength with Ehlers, Connor and Laine. Defense, you have Trouba and Morrissey. So one more star winger than defenseman. Of course there are more wingers on the roster, but still, on the Jet roster, I would agree wingers are a strength. More so than defense.

However, prospect wise, I am not sure if that is the case. Vesa is the Jets blue chip prospect on the wings. Swap him for Brannstrom - you get a blue chip for the D but you lose your blue chip on the wings.

After Vesa, who are the winger prospects? Appleton? I wouldn't put him in above Niku yet (in fact, Niku beat out Appleton on the Jet board during the summer prospect rankings). Then you have guys like Suess and McKenzie, who I wouldn't rank any higher than Samberg or Stanley.

So essentially this trade moves your blue chipper from the wing to defense. If Vesa is gone, the winger prospect pipeline is arguably worse than the D prospect pool is right now for the Jets.

I can see where OP is coming from because the Jets have good wingers on their roster, but I don't want to dilute our winger prospect pool to help the defense pool. I think Vesa will be important for the Jets.

Also, don't see why Vegas does this. They had their shot at Vesalainen. No reason to go back on Brannstrom now.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad