Confirmed Trade: Jets go big and rent 5 players today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Conditions: Should the draft lottery render the 2019 NHL first-round selection a top-three pick, the Rangers will receive Winnipeg's 2020 first-round selection instead.

How on earth would the Jets 1st rounder be lottery eligible when they are easily going to make the playoffs?

Reactions: optimism

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Most are extremely low-risk
Hopefully Hayes works out (and maybe re-signs)
Doubt he re-signs. I think that he told the Rangers and other teams that were in negotiations that he’s for sure intending to go to UFA. My reasoning is that the Rangers probably would have asked for a conditional pick based upon re-signing were if even remotely possible.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Big on the word+letter count. Big day for the training staff and back-of house organizational people. Big day for Winnipeg high end condo rental market.

Hayes is the only one who is even worth my bothering to type out this joke.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
TSN going on and on about oh look at Winnipeg they made 6 trades today, when the Hayes trade is the only one of good value. The others are all depth, which is fine for what it is, but they didn't "Go Big" or "Load Up" on the actual deadline day. They didn't need to either!

Yeah but did Kevin get his trophy?
Thats clearly the reason for all these minor trades. Did Duthie hand it over to him or did they give it to McPhee?

Reactions: Oddbob

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Only two of those trades are rentals.
All 5 players contracts expire the end of this season. Well I guess you could technically say 26 year old Beaulieu isn't a rental since when his contract expires this year he's an RFA with arbitration rights. The others are UFAs at the end of this season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lots of depth really for injuries with only one big add. Hayes is important because he can lessen the load on scheifs shoulders. I'm hoping the Russian we added might be a diamond in the rough.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
There is more to trades than simply upgrading existing positions on the roster.

The one glaring need the Jets had is their 2C position, which Chevy addressed with Hayes. If he works out well the team will make every effort to re-sign him next season (but that's irrelevant right now and he's a rental)

The Jets D as a group when healthy is as good as any others with the exception of maybe Tampa and Nashville. When has a team made a really good run in the playoffs with only 6 or 7 Dmen. The pickups for 6th and 7th round picks are depth on the left side which is the weakest link. The two guys they got for these picks will look just as good beside Buf as Chiarot does and will be serviceable depth for a (hopefully) long playoff run.

It is sad that the team has to give up their first this year again, but that is the price of admission in today's NHL playoffs.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Feels like renting this many players could hurt chemistry. Changes the dynamics of the whole room. Seems like adding 1 or 2 guys helps uplift the room, adding 5 seems almost offensive. Like, “hey, I don’t believe in you guys so I’m going to add an additional 20% of players.”

Good. They need a wake up call

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
And I’m interested to aee this Bogdan get a chance. Chevy tried to get him last year so I wouldn’t doubt he is in future plans as a 5/6 guy moving forward.

Reactions: uncleben

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
All 5 players contracts expire the end of this season. Well I guess you could technically say 26 year old Beaulieu isn't a rental since when his contract expires this year he's an RFA with arbitration rights. The others are UFAs at the end of this season.
Kiselevich is an RFA as well.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Kiselevich is an RFA as well.
CapFriendly has him listed as a UFA

Capture.JPG

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
There is more to trades than simply upgrading existing positions on the roster.

The one glaring need the Jets had is their 2C position, which Chevy addressed with Hayes. If he works out well the team will make every effort to re-sign him next season (but that's irrelevant right now and he's a rental)

The Jets D as a group when healthy is as good as any others with the exception of maybe Tampa and Nashville. When has a team made a really good run in the playoffs with only 6 or 7 Dmen. The pickups for 6th and 7th round picks are depth on the left side which is the weakest link. The two guys they got for these picks will look just as good beside Buf as Chiarot does and will be serviceable depth for a (hopefully) long playoff run.

It is sad that the team has to give up their first this year again, but that is the price of admission in today's NHL playoffs.

This is an interesting take, as a lot of Jets fans worry about the state of the d-core as it is quite weak outside the top 3 of Byfuglien, Trouba, and Morrissey.

Myers is OK when sheltered, and Niku is going to be a nice piece moving forward. Otherwise, Chiarot, Morrow, and Kulikov are all underwhelming, and do not really move the needle forward at all. Adding Kiselevich and Beaulieu will provide some much needed competition in a d-core that has become too complacent. Morrissey is likely out for the season with a broken collarbone, so they will all need to step up their games.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Conditions: Should the draft lottery render the 2019 NHL first-round selection a top-three pick, the Rangers will receive Winnipeg's 2020 first-round selection instead.

Lottery protected picks generally aren't considered conditional picks, even if it technically is a "condition" according to the League. It will be a 1st regardless.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Cheveldayoff will will be busy this summer as Winnipeg has 7 UFA's and 7 RFA's whose contracts expire the end of June. But then he'll probably have a lot of time on his hands because he only has a 2nd, 4th, and 5th round pick at this year's draft.

The Jets have definitely thrown a lot of their chips into the pot this year in their quest for the Cup.
I like the Kevin Hayes pickup but, like a lot of teams, their goal tending could be a problem. We'll see. Goal tending is always difficult to predict as goalies go on hot and cold streaks all the time. A hot goalie can take your team all the way to the cup finals or a cold one can get you knocked out in the 1st round.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Why is this thread being posted on the main board instead of the Jets board ?

(See what I did there?)

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
This is an interesting take, as a lot of Jets fans worry about the state of the d-core as it is quite weak outside the top 3 of Byfuglien, Trouba, and Morrissey.

Myers is OK when sheltered, and Niku is going to be a nice piece moving forward. Otherwise, Chiarot, Morrow, and Kulikov are all underwhelming, and do not really move the needle forward at all. Adding Kiselevich and Beaulieu will provide some much needed competition in a d-core that has become too complacent. Morrissey is likely out for the season with a broken collarbone, so they will all need to step up their games.

A lot of fans are clueless and look for easy answers. The Jets have a very solid 6 when healthy.

Defence is a team philosophy, not laid at the feet of one or two guys.

The whole team needs to play better defence, and they will.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Yes, you made it about the Leaves, like you guys always do.

Now Leaf.

Nope, you did (i.e. you read my post, then clicked my profile to see my team, and posted the above reply)

I was making a statement about the general dynamics and standards on Hfboards. The fact that that was the conclusion you came to is telling. It says it all actually.

Now Jet away

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: