Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Say what you want about Thorburn but he pretty much took on all comers since he`s been in Winnipeg and has stuck up for any teammate who has needed help out there.He fights out of his weight class and was the only real scraper the Jets have had outside of Peluso.

Errr....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLFAFALL&sort=player.weight&viewName=bios

Yes he will take all comers but a lot of them at dumb times.
Knowing that sometimes you should fight is smart too.
He kept on fighting right after we got a one goal lead too which bothered me.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He could intimidate Pinocchio though.

*Imitate. :P

Say what you want about Thorburn but he pretty much took on all comers since he`s been in Winnipeg and has stuck up for any teammate who has needed help out there.He fights out of his weight class and was the only real scraper the Jets have had outside of Peluso.

True, which says more about the pugnacity of the Jets club more than anything. I'm not diminishing what Thorburn does for the club. I'm just saying that no one really feels threatened by him when he's on the ice.

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
Peluso can chuck 'em better than Thorburn anyways.

Tangradi - Jokinen - Frolik
Wright - Slater - Peluso

That's the ideal bottom 6 I think if Scheifele slots into the top 6.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Wright - Slater - Peluso

I agree: good third that should be able to pot a few, and a 4th that can skate and not get into too much 5 vs 5 penalty killing-style trouble.

PostmanPat1919

Jul 18, 2011

Wright - Slater - Peluso

I think ideally Halischuk would feature in the bottom 6 over one of the grinders on the third line. He has more offensive touch than Tangradi, Wright and Peluso, either way.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think ideally Halischuk would feature in the bottom 6 over one of the grinders on the third line. He has more offensive touch than Tangradi, Wright and Peluso, either way.

wouldn't mind that at all

between frolik, tangradi, halishuk, wright, and peluso i like our bottom wings

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Wright - Slater - Peluso

Any line that has Jokinen isn't ideal.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
So Shea Weber must not be very good then eh? You're honestly saying (caphit not withstanding) you would take PK over Weber because Subban is obviously "head and shoulders" above Shea Weber?

How about Drew Doughty? Probably not too great either, right?

I've never seen a field of strawmen before :laugh:.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011

Wright - Slater - Peluso

I agree that Peluso > Thorburn.

Halischuk should definitely slot in above all of Tangradi, Wright, and Peluso.

I think more than offense, however, we need to think about possession. Garret has written some pieces on this that are worth checking out. Frolik is a definite boost in this respect for the third line, but I can't remember who might be the better possession player out of Halischuk, Wright, or Tangradi.

We need a bottom six that's not going to get pinned in the defensive zone.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
One thing we cant forget about Peluso... if he would have played 82 games last season, he was on pace for 33 pts :sarcasm:

All signs point to Thorburn losing his job. He's a good guy in the locker room to my understanding, I would hate to lose that. But aside from the press box, I don't see a spot for Thorburn.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I agree that Peluso > Thorburn.

Halischuk should definitely slot in above all of Tangradi, Wright, and Peluso.

I think more than offense, however, we need to think about possession. Garret has written some pieces on this that are worth checking out. Frolik is a definite boost in this respect for the third line, but I can't remember who might be the better possession player out of Halischuk, Wright, or Tangradi.

We need a bottom six that's not going to get pinned in the defensive zone.

tangradi i believe had the best posession numbers of them, but theres debate as to whether its due to his own volition or because he's been played mostly with possession champs Burmi and Malkin

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Tangradi - Frolik - Halischuk
Wright - Slater - Peluso

Press box: Thorburn - (Plate of Nachos) - Jokinen

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
tangradi i believe had the best posession numbers of them, but theres debate as to whether its due to his own volition or because he's been played mostly with possession champs Burmi and Malkin

Hmm.. I haven't been involved in any discussions about that, but I'm curious as to the arguments in the debate. I'm a novice in the stats department, but I wonder if a CorsiQoT, CorsiRelQoT, or (if the data is even out there) zone entries could help shed light on that.

For the time being, it seems to make the most sense to go with:

Halischuk / Jokinen / Frolik

Tangradi / Slater / Peluso

At the same time, part of me is interested in seeing what a Halischuk / Slater combination could do. Slater is pretty no-nonsense in getting pucks to the net (though his d-zone starts are a real killer), and Halischuk seems to have a knack for being around the net picking up rebounds.

I dunno. It's tough with two guys (Tangradi and Halischuk) who have some potential and who are each looking to prove something this year. I'm not sure Wright bumps either of them out though..

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hmm.. I haven't been involved in any discussions about that, but I'm curious as to the arguments in the debate. I'm a novice in the stats department, but I wonder if a CorsiQoT, CorsiRelQoT, or (if the data is even out there) zone entries could help shed light on that.

For the time being, it seems to make the most sense to go with:

Halischuk / Jokinen / Frolik

Tangradi / Slater / Peluso

At the same time, part of me is interested in seeing what a Halischuk / Slater combination could do. Slater is pretty no-nonsense in getting pucks to the net (though his d-zone starts are a real killer), and Halischuk seems to have a knack for being around the net picking up rebounds.

I dunno. It's tough with two guys (Tangradi and Halischuk) who have some potential and who are each looking to prove something this year. I'm not sure Wright bumps either of them out though..

Nice post and welcome to the Jets board PocketHoquet. Cool avatar!

garret does great advanced stats breakdowns as do a few of of our other posters so things can get pretty educational at times. I am looking forward to the new mix of talent. We have turned over some pretty decent assets (Wellwood, Antro) that at times could be whipping boys or polarizing at a minimum so there are some holes to fill for sure.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jets had ~52.9% of possession when Tangradi was with Burmistrov and 48.5% without.

When I tracked their zone entries I noticed Tangradi had a lot of successful carry ins from neutral zone passes from Burmistrov. I think Tangradi had the best zone entries not LLLW+Kane+Burmi.

Really oddly enough he was positive when he was on the Tangradi-Slater-Thorburn line... really odd...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Errr....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLFAFALL&sort=player.weight&viewName=bios

Yes he will take all comers but a lot of them at dumb times.
Knowing that sometimes you should fight is smart too.
He kept on fighting right after we got a one goal lead too which bothered me.

It is not as simple as that. Thorburn has discussed it a few times as have other fighter/enforcers around the league. If you play a role were you occasionally fight to help change the momentum of a game you need to be willing to drop the gloves when someone on the other team who plays the same role engages you in similar circumstances. It is a 2 way street and accepted by the coach/teammates. This helps contain this aspect of the game to those who have taken on this role with the team.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Nice post and welcome to the Jets board PocketHoquet. Cool avatar!

garret does great advanced stats breakdowns as do a few of of our other posters so things can get pretty educational at times. I am looking forward to the new mix of talent. We have turned over some pretty decent assets (Wellwood, Antro) that at times could be whipping boys or polarizing at a minimum so there are some holes to fill for sure.

Thanks! I've been on the board for some time and finally decided to quit being a spectator. :)

Jets had ~52.9% of possession when Tangradi was with Burmistrov and 48.5% without.

When I tracked their zone entries I noticed Tangradi had a lot of successful carry ins from neutral zone passes from Burmistrov. I think Tangradi had the best zone entries not LLLW+Kane+Burmi.

Really oddly enough he was positive when he was on the Tangradi-Slater-Thorburn line... really odd...

That's really interesting. On the one hand, Tangradi and Frolik on the 3rd line might ensure some solid offensive zone time. The only thing is that it is likely that there won't be a ton of shots or scoring chances. On the other hand, Tangradi on the 4th line with Slater might balance out possession a bit better in the bottom 6. Halischuk has pretty high shot totals, from what I can remember, so together with Frolik they may be able to get some moderate OZ time while also getting a few pucks on net. Would it be fair to break it down this way?

Option 1
Tangradi / Jokinen / Frolik --> higher possession, weaker offense

Halischuk / Slater / Peluso --> weaker possession, moderate offense (for a 4th line)

Option 2
Halischuk / Jokinen / Folik --> moderate possession, moderate offense (for a 3rd line)

Tangradi / Slater / Peluso --> moderate possession, weaker offense

As I mentioned before, I think that both Tangradi and Halischuk are eager to prove something which may also mean that neither of them will readily welcome a 4th line role. It would be great if they responded well as they both bring something valuable to the bottom 6. If one of them underperforms, maybe that's where we welcome back Wright into the mix..

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It is not as simple as that. Thorburn has discussed it a few times as have other fighter/enforcers around the league. If you play a role were you occasionally fight to help change the momentum of a game you need to be willing to drop the gloves when someone on the other team who plays the same role engages you in similar circumstances. It is a 2 way street and accepted by the coach/teammates. This helps contain this aspect of the game to those who have taken on this role with the team.

Still don't agree with it.
Even Noel commented on it once.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Still don't agree with it.
Even Noel commented on it once.

I agree with you - love the heat of the moment stuff, but dislike the staged stuff. First one is part of the emotion of the game, second belongs in a ring. IMHO, of course.

Aela*

I don't mind the staged fighting tbh.

Am I the only one who wants to see O'dell slot into our bottom 6?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't mind the staged fighting tbh.

Am I the only one who wants to see O'dell slot into our bottom 6?

at this point odell, halischuk, cormier, and peluso are all on two way contracts and are subject to waivers.

Since everyone costs the same, and everyone is subject to waivers, play should be the only determinig factor in who makes the roster and who doesn't. I have no problem with increased competition for those bottom 6 roles, but it would be great to see odell beat out a couple of them.

how nice would

Odell jokinen Frolik
Tangradi Slater Halishuk look?

thats a huge upgrade on our fourth line if you ask me

bazaaa*

at this point odell, halischuk, cormier, and peluso are all on two way contracts and are subject to waivers.

Since everyone costs the same, and everyone is subject to waivers, play should be the only determinig factor in who makes the roster and who doesn't. I have no problem with increased competition for those bottom 6 roles, but it would be great to see odell beat out a couple of them.

how nice would

Odell jokinen Frolik
Tangradi Slater Halishuk look?

thats a huge upgrade on our fourth line if you ask me

I'd love that for a third line.
But don't think that's the point of the fourth line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad