Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
When talking about Bogosian? He's worth more than spare parts, but he's probably not worth Galchenyuk and he's certainly not worth Subban.

I'd love to see the reasons why Bogosian is likely not worth Galchenyuk.
And full marks to Subban for winning the Norris during the short season, but that doesn't mean all of a sudden he's head and shoulders above Bogosian. He won an award, he's not a saint.

There are plenty of great young d men in the league, and most of the guys have very similar values.

Last edited:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Regarding the Kulda debate - I rarely pull this story out but it's relevant to my thoughts on Kulda. I happened to catch Marc Methot's first few games as a pro with the Syracuse Crunch because my buddy also happened to be making his pro debut with the Crunch at the same time. At the time, Methot was a relatively unheralded 6th round pick with limited upside and I had no prior knowledge of him. After about 3 games I said to myself, for no real tangible reason that I can remember, that Methot would end up being a very good NHL defenseman one day. He took the slow path, but he did end up becoming what my gut told me he could be.

I'm not necessarily comparing Kulda to Methot directly (although they do both play a similar, no frills, no nonsense game), but I got that exact same feeling about Kulda after seeing him play a few games. And that's only the second time I've had that feeling about a player that was relatively unheralded and about whom I had no prior knowledge.

After hearing how well he played in the KHL last year, I was extremely disappointed that he didn't get into any games when he came back to the Jets.

I'm not saying I'm king **** in terms of predicting the future, but that is just how I feel about Kulda. :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When talking about Bogosian? He's worth more than spare parts, but he's probably not worth Galchenyuk and he's certainly not worth Subban.

You could certainly make an argument for Subban having more value, but I'd take Bogo over Galchenyuk everyday of the week.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
No I am not concerned and I really don't think that is or was his end game. He will want to get paid and his agent will probably drive a tough deal because that's his job but Blake would have no problem signing a long term deal here. It could go to arbitration but that was never the original plan IMHO

There is little doubt that if Wheeler holds out for a one year deal through arbitration he could find himself traded to a place he will not likely have on his wish list. I doubt that Chevy would keep someone who is not intending to be here next year and then lose him for nothing. He could wait until the trade deadline but does anyone think he would? It won't take long to find out Wheeler's intent.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Wheeler is guaranteed a 1st line role, guaranteed $5'ish M for a long term, close to home, in a hockey crazy city that likes him. Anything's possible, but I see him re-signing here and playing for the Jets for a long time. :nod:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wheeler is guaranteed a 1st line role, guaranteed $5'ish M for a long term, close to home, in a hockey crazy city that likes him. Anything's possible, but I see him re-signing here and playing for the Jets for a long time. :nod:

I hope so. He's def one of my favorite Jets. Really enjoy watching him play and it seems like he is a good guy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I hope so. He's def one of my favorite Jets. Really enjoy watching him play and it seems like he is a good guy.

Yea YWGinYYZ I think you pretty much nailed it. When Blake got traded from Boston to Atlanta he moved into the limelight and became the go to 1st line RW and his career took off. This opprotunity has been great for his career (insert payday) and he really enjoys playing at the MTS centre. both he and his wife's families live driving distance as well which is a bonus. I sense Blake wants to get paid but I also sense he likes his role on this team and really wants to get the Jets into the playoffs. I will remain optimistic.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd love to see the reasons why Bogosian is likely not worth Galchenyuk.
And full marks to Subban for winning the Norris during the short season, but that doesn't mean all of a sudden he's head and shoulders above Bogosian. He won an award, he's not a saint.

There are plenty of great young d men in the league, and most of the guys have very similar values.

C'mon man! A Norris trophy does mean he's head and shoulders above Bogo. I love Bogo too but let's see him play a who season before we start saying he's better than Norris trophy winners.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
C'mon man! A Norris trophy does mean he's head and shoulders above Bogo. I love Bogo too but let's see him play a who season before we start saying he's better than Norris trophy winners.

I think PK winning the Norris was a joke. As a matter of fact, I didn't like Karlsson winning it either. For me, points do not = best defenceman.

Still think there should be two trophies: one for best offensive defenseman, and one for best all round d man.

I am definitely biased, so I won't say who is a better defenseman now, but I would bet good money when both player's careers are over, Bogosian will have had the most impact on the NHL.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Yeah, I'm not really sure how Subban won the Norris - he's not very good at defense. He's good offensively, but he's not the best in that category either. If Subban played in Minnesota instead of Suter, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't even have been considered for the Norris.

Subban was on the ice for nearly every Montreal PP (over 4 PP minute per game)...26 of his 38 points were on the powerplay - that's almost 70%! Letang played 7 fewer games, was tied with Subban in points and only scored 13/38 on the PP.

Anyway, I don't think you can mention Subban in the same breath as other Norris winners - maybe Carlyle? Certainly not Lidstrom, Bourque, Niedermayer...

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

So Shea Weber must not be very good then eh? You're honestly saying (caphit not withstanding) you would take PK over Weber because Subban is obviously "head and shoulders" above Shea Weber?

How about Drew Doughty? Probably not too great either, right?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So Shea Weber must not be very good then eh? You're honestly saying (caphit not withstanding) you would take PK over Weber because Subban is obviously "head and shoulders" above Shea Weber?

Bogo's never going to win a Norris if the award keeps trending towards the top offensive production from a d-man award. Top end defensive skills have definitely taken a back seat.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I woke up with a hunch that today feels like a day we may get one of our big 3 signed. Of course I am probably 100% wrong :laugh:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I woke up with a hunch that today feels like a day we may get one of our big 3 signed. Of course I am probably 100% wrong :laugh:

Let's hope you're correct because I find it troublesome that I'm currently more excited about the Ice Caps than I am the Jets:sarcasm:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Sweech, you stole my response! ;)

But you're exactly right. Weber, Suter, AP, Doughty, OEL, and probably 10-20 other D men (along with Subban) are all top defensemen in the league. I'm not saying Bogo is better than any of these guys. He's not. But he's in the same category as most of them, and certainly in the same category as Subban.

As someone pointed out, Bogo essentially put up better even strength points than Subban. It's not Bogo's fault that the Jets use Buff on the PP.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

:laugh:

What have I done. What's funny is I was a Habs fan before the Jets came back and I was merely trying to make a note that they're not going to take one of our best potential players from us without giving us the same and they took it as some sort of shots being fired.

And for the record, I think PK deserved the Norris this season, but I wouldn't mind seeing two defensive trophies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Bogo's never going to win a Norris if the award keeps trending towards the top offensive production from a d-man award. Top end defensive skills have definitely taken a back seat.

Bogo puts up a lot of points for a guy who doesn't get ice on the first powerplay unit, especially considering the team's middling offence.

If the team improves scoring will go up. Give Bogo some PP1 and there is no reason he couldn't have a very solid offensive season.

Team needs to get into the playoffs to give these players a name and rep though.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I really think Bogos contract will be last because I think the jets are ok with giving him a big payday but if they release it before little and wheeler they will use Bogos contract as a gauge even though they are all different players.because bogo will be getting a payday still based on potential because of injuries past seasons and the other guys especially wheeler as proven himself two years in a row.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I really think Bogos contract will be last because I think the jets are ok with giving him a big payday but if they release it before little and wheeler they will use Bogos contract as a gauge even though they are all different players.because bogo will be getting a payday still based on potential because of injuries past seasons and the other guys especially wheeler as proven himself two years in a row.

It will be Little, Wheeler, Bogo in that order ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad