Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I just get a feeling that if Maurice stays, which I think he will, the Jets will trade for Cam Ward. Likely a b prospect or picks. And Carolina picks up a portion of his salary.

Not sure if that's all that big of an upgrade, tbh, but it would be a goalie move.
I am afraid of this, actually. Cam Ward has not been a good goalie for the last 2 years, and his salary is atrocious. He's actually making $6.7M and $6.8M the next 2 years on a $6M cap hit. For a budget team, that's a lot of coin.

Unless Carolina is taking back Pavelec (which is honestly only a slight upgrade given Ward's recent play) or picking up like 50% of his ticket, I'm not a fan of a Ward trade.

I'd rather Hiller, Halak, Elliott or Reimer over Ward.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I just get a feeling that if Maurice stays, which I think he will, the Jets will trade for Cam Ward. Likely a b prospect or picks. And Carolina picks up a portion of his salary.

Not sure if that's all that big of an upgrade, tbh, but it would be a goalie move.

Ward's career SV% is .910. He's having a bad year (.896) but he's been injured for a big part of the last two seasons. He's still a .910 over his last 3000 Shots-Against, so that's probably what we could expect out of him here. It's still below league average, but it is an upgrade. I think I'd aim a little higher...

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Boy if they do that!!! Get rid of one problem for an equally bad, more expensive one.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

That's possible. As a former Canes fan Maurice is a pretty big supporter of Ward. I have mixed feelings for Wardo, get in the playoffs and he's damn good, he gets up for those big games and is money. Getting there is difficult as his regular seasons are questionable. With that being said, Carolina as a whole is a very strange organization in that Jim Rutherford has never been able to get it right there after the cup win, I grew extremely frustrated by Rutherford and the moves he made as GM. Not to mention Carolina ran Ward right into the ground as their tender. But, with that being said, how would Cam Ward fair behind our team? tough to say.

08-09 was a really solid year for Ward. 09-10 was horrible for the team as they never were as good as they should have been or planned to be as a veteran team coming off a run to the conference finals. In both years Ward was able to pull off a SV% of .916. The following season (my last as a Canes fan pre-Jets returning) Ward was stellar. Took on a huge work load of 74 games and posted a SV% of .923. Carolina also allowed the most shots against that year, averaging 33.2 against per game. Even in 2011-12 Cam Ward played 68 games and Carolina once again faced the most shots in the entire league averaging 32.4 against per game, and Ward still managed a .915 SV% and 5 shutouts.

There is indeed a good goaltender in there, but Cam needs to get the heck out of Carolina in my opinion. And that looks to be the case this summer.

Truth be told, I would be fine with Ward here as someone who has watched him since he broke into the league, I believe there is still a very good goaltender in there. Players in Carolina go through drastic ups and downs given how that team is constructed by Rutherford. It is no coincidence they have made the playoffs once in 8 years since winning it all in 2006, and as someone very familiar with that organization, a lot of that rests on the shoulders of how Rutherford assembles his roster, in my opinion.

If you look at the progression of Ward as a WHL goaltender, to the AHL, he was an damn fine prospect and former 1st round pick. His first couple/few years as the undisputed #1 in Carolina after winning the cup were a bit rough, but the kid was 22-23'ish and at that age being a #1 tender is damn difficult. And in Carolina too boot where the team struggled mightily and that was a ton of pressure on a young goaltender to carry that sad sack team after winning the cup. Not to mention Peter Laviolette was the coach and he hangs goaltenders out to dry like clothes on a clothesline with his all-out offense, offense, offense system. Carolina and Philly fans will you that first hand. Ward was legitimately hung out to dry those early years and it's a shame.

I don't believe in any universe Cam Ward is on the poor level of Pavelec. I also believe this Jets team would stand a fine chance at the playoffs with Ward. And once you get there, Ward is ****ing money. Truthfully, anyone who thinks Ward is simply a garbage goaltender either hasn't watched him/Carolina over the years to know what actually went on, or are simply looking at his recent numbers, in which Carolina has been an absolute write off. There is a reason Jim Rutherford is (finally) stepping aside this summer. He deserves tons of credit for that 2006 cup winning team, but man, as someone who was a Canes fan over the years he is a GM who could just never get it together.

Last edited:

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
That's possible. As a former Canes fan Maurice is a pretty big supporter of Ward. I have mixed feelings for Wardo, get in the playoffs and he's damn good, he gets up for those big games and is money. Getting there is difficult as his regular seasons are questionable. With that being said, Carolina as a whole is a very strange organization in that Jim Rutherford has never been able to get it right there after the cup win, I grew extremely frustrated by Rutherford and the moves he made as GM. Not to mention Carolina ran Ward right into the ground as their tender. But, with that being said, how would Cam Ward fair behind our team? tough to say.

08-09 was a really solid year for Ward. 09-10 was horrible for the team as they never were as good as they should have been or planned to be as a veteran team coming off a run to the conference finals. In both years Ward was able to pull off a SV% of .916. The following season (my last as a Canes fan pre-Jets returning) Ward was stellar. Took on a huge work load of 74 games and posted a SV% of .923. Carolina also allowed the most shots against that year, averaging 33.2 against per game. Even in 2011-12 Cam Ward played 68 games and Carolina once again faced the most shots in the entire league averaging 32.4 against per game, and Ward still managed a .915 SV% and 5 shutouts.

There is indeed a good goaltender in there, but Cam needs to get the heck out of Carolina in my opinion. And that looks to be the case this summer.

Truth be told, I would be fine with Ward here as someone who has watched him since he broke into the league, I believe there is still a very good goaltender in there. Players in Carolina go through drastic ups and downs given how that team is constructed by Rutherford. It is no coincidence they have made the playoffs once in 8 years since winning it all in 2006, and as someone very familiar with that organization, a lot of that rests on the shoulders of how Rutherford assembles his roster, in my opinion.

I don't believe in any universe Cam Ward is on the poor level of Pavelec. I also believe this Jets team would stand a fine chance at the playoffs with Ward. And once you get there, Ward is ****ing money. Truthfully, anyone who thinks Ward is simply a garbage goaltender either hasn't watched him/Carolina over the years or are simply looking at his recent numbers, in which Carolina has been an absolute write off. There is a reason Jim Rutherford is (finally) stepping aside this summer. He deserves tons of credit for that 2006 cup winning team, but man, as someone who was a Canes fan over the years he is a GM who could just never get it together.

This is a good post Guerzy. I for one would be supportive of Cam Ward over James Reimer if those were the 2 names (which seem to come up here) that might be considered/possible as a Pavs replacement.

However, if I had my druthers, it would be neither :) Just not seeing the fascination some Jets fans have with Reimer - I have, however, been fascinated by Cam Ward (albeit some time ago).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Since 2000 the 1st overall picks were Mackinnon, Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Erik Johnson, Crosby, Ovechkin, Fleury, Nash, Kovalchuk and Dipietro.

Almost all of those guys are elite/franchise players and with the way the Jets have been drafting I am 100% sure they would be able to avoid picking a dipietro.

Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Erik Johnson, Fleury, Dipietro = 5/14 that aren't better than Kane. No one in this draft is expected to be anything close to Tavares, Crosby, P.Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, MacKinnon= 12/14. I don't like those odds at all. Buffalo only has a 25% chance of getting the 1st overall pick.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Reimer is no better than Pavelec. Being from Manitoba doesn't make you a better goaltender.

How do you figure? By almost every measurable statistic, Reimer has proven to be the better goaltender over his career.

I say this as a non-fan of Reimer too.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
How do you figure? By almost every measurable statistic, Reimer has proven to be the better goaltender over his career.

most people form their opinions via the MSM, as you can see by the recent trend of Pavelec becoming a bad goalie.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

There are a couple of threads with pages and pages of Reimer vs. Pavelec discussion:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1577731
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1611571

Charts, tables, astrological projections, laws of physics, analysis, deductions, straw-men/women...it's all there.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Better than Pavelec is a really low bar. Like imagine the high jump so low that you can just step over it.

I'd like someone better than Reimer as our starter, even if we had a free run at him without having to deal with the Leafs, RFA and potentially arbitration.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=58

just listed to the podcast of Elliotte Friedman on the roundtable (I think that is the link above). I always like his take on things.

On the chances of the Pavs compliance buy out he feels they are pretty good. Elliotte mentioned this is the last year you can do it so it’s now or never. He did caution though that it’s easy to say "get rid of a player" as a fan but who do you replace them with as the GM and are you guaranteed an upgrade (I know I know this is low hanging fruit for the haters). Friedman speculated that Chevy would probably be busy exploring all options (trade and FA's) right now if they were planning on making the move after the season.

On Evander Kane Friedman said if TNSE want to trade him there will be a long line up of GM's that will be making offers. He gave an example of a GM making a call saying hey we are interested and this is what we have, it may not be enough but we want to be at the table. He said that goal scorers in the NHL are hard to find, young 30 goal scorers are extremely rare, and young 30 goal scorers on great contracts like Kane are impossible to find. Elliot said Chevy will be picky though because a trade, if completed, will have to be at a level of return that the Jets fans could look and go "I see what you are doing there and that makes sense". Real value has to be coming back.

I think that is important food for thought for those of us that might be falling into the trap of seeing Kane's faults and discounting what he actually can do.

Either way it was a good 15 minute segment you should catch if you get a chance.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Better than Pavelec is a really low bar. Like imagine the high jump so low that you can just step over it.

I'd like someone better than Reimer as our starter, even if we had a free run at him without having to deal with the Leafs, RFA and potentially arbitration.

I would also like to see someone better than Reimer in Winnipeg, but that doesn't alter the fact that Reimer has proven to be a better goalie at this point of their careers.

IE: given the choice between the two, I would much prefer Reimer. That was the only point I was trying to make above.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Obviously if you have a player that teams are falling over themselves trying to acquire, you should probably trade him. :sarcasm:

(Also, join our cause Friedge! Join our cause!)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=58

just listed to the podcast of Elliotte Friedman on the roundtable (I think that is the link above). I always like his take on things.

On the chances of the Pavs compliance buy out he feels they are pretty good. Elliotte mentioned this is the last year you can do it so it’s now or never. He did caution though that it’s easy to say "get rid of a player" as a fan but who do you replace them with as the GM and are you guaranteed an upgrade (I know I know this is low hanging fruit for the haters). Friedman speculated that Chevy would probably be busy exploring all options (trade and FA's) right now if they were planning on making the move after the season.

On Evander Kane Friedman said if TNSE want to trade him there will be a long line up of GM's that will be making offers. He gave an example of a GM making a call saying hey we are interested and this is what we have, it may not be enough but we want to be at the table. He said that goal scorers in the NHL are hard to find, young 30 goal scorers are extremely rare, and young 30 goal scorers on great contracts like Kane are impossible to find. Elliot said Chevy will be picky though because a trade, if completed, will have to be at a level of return that the Jets fans could look and go "I see what you are doing there and that makes sense". Real value has to be coming back.

I think that is important food for thought for those of us that might be falling into the trap of seeing Kane's faults and discounting what he actually can do.

Either way it was a good 15 minute segment you should catch if you get a chance.

Thanks PS, I like Elliot as well.

The bolded is essentially what I also posted some time back. The Jets do not "have" to move Kane. But if someone offers something that makes everyone say, "yeah, that makes sense", then the Jets should be open to it.

Especially if the Jets feel that Kane is somehow not in their long term plans (either by their choice, his, or both).

ClassicJer

Apr 4, 2014
Is this an April Fool's joke? Eller has 23 points this year. It would need to start with Gallagher, 1st round pick, plus.

I don't think we could trade Gallagher

How about Eller, Beaulieu & a 2nd for Kane?

We need a scoring winger & if im not mistaken the jets could use a solid center

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
On TSN's site, there is a story about the Jets missing playoffs, and mentions how Maurice would like to have a shot with this group next season. If I was a betting man, I think he'll back and itching to make the playoffs.

ps -ps thanks for sharing the Eliotte piece!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Reimer is no better than Pavelec. Being from Manitoba doesn't make you a better goaltender.

Frankly, I hate when we used to always list things like "and good Manitoba boy" for ufa or trade options. Hate, hate, hate hate, hatehatehathehatehteea.

BUT, I want Reimer for 3 reasons...
1) well I KNOW he is better than Pavelec, because for 99% of his career he has been

2) I know he is very well likely to perform in future at a true #1 level (albeit elite is about as likely as Pavelec bad)

3) I believe his value to be down right now due to how terrible people evaluate goaltenders with team success. This means that Jets can gain value by giving away a lesser asset for a better asset.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Frankly, I hate when we used to always list things like "and good Manitoba boy" for ufa or trade options. Hate, hate, hate hate, hatehatehathehatehteea.

BUT, I want Reimer for 3 reasons...
1) well I KNOW he is better than Pavelec, because for 99% of his career he has been

2) I know he is very well likely to perform in future at a true #1 level (albeit elite is about as likely as Pavelec bad)

3) I believe his value to be down right now due to how terrible people evaluate goaltenders with team success. This means that Jets can gain value by giving away a lesser asset for a better asset.

I wonder how cheap we could get him - Pasquale + conditional 2015 4th or later? Straight up for 2015 conditional 3rd? (The condition being he plays 30+ games for the Jets next year?)

If the Jets could swing a deal like that before the draft, then it would allow them to buyout Pavelec without putting too much of a scare into poor Jim Toth. Then they could attempt to do even better in free agency and maybe not have to give Toronto the conditional pick if they get a better option...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad