Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I believe Chevy has publicly stated that one of his priorities is to get proper linemates for Kane. To me this means he intends on getting 1 or 2 new players and NOT reshuffling the deck by putting burmi & jok or bla bla bla currently on the roster. I don't believe that Sheif would count either as he can not be classified as a proper 2nd or 1b linemate. We should be getting some outside fresh blood, hopefully a younger long term player

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I believe Chevy has publicly stated that one of his priorities is to get proper linemates for Kane. To me this means he intends on getting 1 or 2 new players and NOT reshuffling the deck by putting burmi & jok or bla bla bla currently on the roster. I don't believe that Sheif would count either as he can not be classified as a proper 2nd or 1b linemate. We should be getting some outside fresh blood, hopefully a younger long term player

Hope you're right. Not that I want Burmi to leave, just for Kane to have improved players to play with.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I still think a great candidate to add to play with Kane due to his skill and the fact that he should cost relatively little to acquire (compared to other potential trade targets) is Hemsky. He does have the injury factor, but I don't think there is a higher skilled RW on the market that is currently carrying as low of a cost to acquire as Hemsky. He's the kind of winger that could get Kane the puck probably better than anyone Kane has ever played with.

As for the defense talk, I like Enstrom and Buff too, but if I could have a whole defense of Bogo and Trouba types (not realistic to have 6 of that caliber, just the type), I would without question. I would easily take a slight hit in points to get the two way, physical guys like Bogo and Trouba. At that stage, if you even had 4 guys of that type, you don't need to micromanage the situations as much. Less need to worry about offensive and defensive starts. Play the guys who are playing well, and rotate the guys through the PK, PP, and ES as situations arise.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I still think a great candidate to add to play with Kane due to his skill and the fact that he should cost relatively little to acquire (compared to other potential trade targets) is Hemsky. He does have the injury factor, but I don't think there is a higher skilled RW on the market that is currently carrying as low of a cost to acquire as Hemsky. He's the kind of winger that could get Kane the puck probably better than anyone Kane has ever played with.

As for the defense talk, I like Enstrom and Buff too, but if I could have a whole defense of Bogo and Trouba types (not realistic to have 6 of that caliber, just the type), I would without question. I would easily take a slight hit in points to get the two way, physical guys like Bogo and Trouba. At that stage, if you even had 4 guys of that type, you don't need to micromanage the situations as much. Less need to worry about offensive and defensive starts. Play the guys who are playing well, and rotate the guys through the PK, PP, and ES as situations arise.

Completely agree, Huffer. I have just recently had thoughts of Hemsky as well. Ya he is injury prone but perhaps get him in a new organization, new training staff, some new habits, etc.. who knows. He only has 1 year left on his deal so it's nothing that's going to hammer down your organization. I know it is a night and day situation in terms of questionable character and injuries, but look at Semin in Carolina. He signed a 1 year deal there last summer, a completel a test run for both he and the organization, now he's locked up long-term.

As for Byfuglien and the defence, I do like Byfuglien, he is so unique but I am like you Huffer, I wouldn't mind a less risky defence. To me, there is just too much babysitting with Byfuglien and too many nights where you simply don't know what you're going to get. It gets tiresome and for me, just not worth it. I am fine whether Byfuglien stays or goes, but whether it be this offseason or next, my hunch is Byfuglien will be dealt from Winnipeg.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If Hemsky comes cheap I'd be all for it. He'd also help the pp a fair bit as he is good on the half boards.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
If Hemsky comes cheap I'd be all for it. He'd also help the pp a fair bit as he is good on the half boards.

I like the idea of acquiring Hemsky as well. Would Edmonton take a 2nd rd pick for him (or is that too much for the Jets to give up)?

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
As someone who was an Oilers fan during the Jets hiatus, all I can say is the people who get on Burm for his 'east-west dangles' would 100% LOATHE Hemmer. The guy consistently leads the league in dangles going away from the offensive net.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I like the idea of acquiring Hemsky as well. Would Edmonton take a 2nd rd pick for him (or is that too much for the Jets to give up)?

Tough to say what his value is now while Mac T publicly stating that Hemsky and Horcoff could be moved.

There was an article somewhere in another thread, where a blogger wrote that the rumor was the best offer at the 2011 - 2012 deadline was a 2nd and a 4th.

With the Mac T announcement, the fact the cap went down, the fact that he only has one year left, etc, etc, I think his value should be a little lower than that (if that rumor is even true).

I wouldn't be too upset to deal the Chicago 2nd, but I think he could be had for something less. Maybe a mid round pick and a guy like Thorburn (if they are looking for help on the bottom lines).

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
MacT is an idiot for going public with it, imo. Not that I really expect it to change much in terms of their value, all things considered with those players. But to say these guys are likely to get dealt because you're going in a different direction, but say we won't give them away... just doesn't make sense. The cap is going down, big changes coming with the "new/old" guard in Edmonton, every GM knows when push comes to shove, you want these players OUT of the locker room...

Seriously... I don't know what he expects the return to be, but in my opinion you aren't getting anything too worthy for those guys.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Isn't Hemsky quite similar to Burmistrov? Skill and vision wise, except Burmi isn't made of glass and is significantly cheaper?

Burmi is also better defensively and can play the PK.

I'm pretty lukewarm about Hemsky, not sure I'd even want to give up Chicago's 2nd to acquire him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
As someone who was an Oilers fan during the Jets hiatus, all I can say is the people who get on Burm for his 'east-west dangles' would 100% LOATHE Hemmer. The guy consistently leads the league in dangles going away from the offensive net.

Isn't Hemsky quite similar to Burmistrov? Skill and vision wise, except Burmi isn't made of glass and is significantly cheaper?

I think Hemsky definitely has his warts. Like you mention jetsfan101, he can be too much of a dangler sometimes.

But IMO, he does have excellent vision, and has great hands and is a good passer. He does go into the dirty areas, and would be a good passing winger to compliment Kane.

Burmi may be stylistically similar to Hemsky, but Burmi is not at Hemky's level of production yet IMO.

My opinion that Hemky would be a good fit, isn't solely based on him being without question marks. I'm just trying to think pragmatically. Of possible players available, I think he's a very good option because I think he would be relatively cheap to acquire, fits our positional need for a top 6 RW, and I have a suspicion that he might work well with a shooter like Kane.

If the Oilers came back and wanted a good prospect and or high draft picks, my desire to add Hemsky goes out the window.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
MacT is an idiot for going public with it, imo. Not that I really expect it to change much in terms of their value, all things considered with those players. But to say these guys are likely to get dealt because you're going in a different direction, but say we won't give them away... just doesn't make sense. The cap is going down, big changes coming with the "new/old" guard in Edmonton, every GM knows when push comes to shove, you want these players OUT of the locker room...

Seriously... I don't know what he expects the return to be, but in my opinion you aren't getting anything too worthy for those guys.

Especially for Horcoff. At least Hemsky can produce when healthy. Why they would give Horcoff that huge contract based on one season is beyond me.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Ideally, he's trying to drum up some interest on both Hemsky and Horcoff, by announcing he's 'putting them in play'. He is also appealing to Oiler fans who now think, look at MacT, he's sure going to make some changes with the Oilers, that's good to see after several lousy seasons with Tambo. I don't really think MacT is that concerned about what he gets for the two of them. Prospects and picks.

I think its more about MacT being SEEN to be clearing out some dead wood.

Which gets me to my comment about Hemsky. I have very little interest in acquiring Hemsky, especially at $5 mill for next year and then he's a UFA. Very little. Sorry Huff, but I don't think Hemsky and Kane would work well together. I think they both want to be 'the guy' on a line. I see Hemsky holding on to the puck way too long and not meshing as a set-up guy for Kane, like Wheeler has. I see Hemsky being lazy at times, and not nearly as effective (say as a guy like Burmi) cycling the puck or winning puck battles down low. Hemsky would have the puck 50% of the time, and do little with it. To me, he's not a fit for the Jets style and doesn't play a solid boards game, imo.

Now, that said, he's better than Welly, so that's an upgrade. But at a considerable cost and then he's a UFA.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
I think Hemsky definitely has his warts. Like you mention jetsfan101, he can be too much of a dangler sometimes.

But IMO, he does have excellent vision, and has great hands and is a good passer. He does go into the dirty areas, and would be a good passing winger to compliment Kane.

Burmi may be stylistically similar to Hemsky, but Burmi is not at Hemky's level of production yet IMO.

My opinion that Hemky would be a good fit, isn't solely based on him being without question marks. I'm just trying to think pragmatically. Of possible players available, I think he's a very good option because I think he would be relatively cheap to acquire, fits our positional need for a top 6 RW, and I have a suspicion that he might work well with a shooter like Kane.

If the Oilers came back and wanted a good prospect and or high draft picks, my desire to add Hemsky goes out the window.

I'm not anti-Hemmer by any means. My issue would be, which centre fits with him and Kane? Jokinen and Kane is a no-go. I feel like Burm can be too cute at times, and I don't know if I would want to expose a young player with that particular flaw to a guy like Hemmer. I think back to when the Oilers brought in Samsonov to play with Hemmer during their Cup run, and it turned Ales into a completely different player. He was so soft/timid before Sergei came to town, but after playing with and seeing SS go hard to the net on a consistent basis, Hemmer started doing the same. When Sergei left town again, Hemmer went right back to playing soft. Moral of the story, I fear Burm's bad tendencies could become habits while playing with Hemmer.

So that leaves Scheif. Technically I think that could be a real good fit, but I doubt we throw him into a top-6 role immediately.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ideally, he's trying to drum up some interest on both Hemsky and Horcoff, by announcing he's 'putting them in play'. He is also appealing to Oiler fans who now think, look at MacT, he's sure going to make some changes with the Oilers, that's good to see after several lousy seasons with Tambo. I don't really think MacT is that concerned about what he gets for the two of them. Prospects and picks.

I think its more about MacT being SEEN to be clearing out some dead wood.

Which gets me to my comment about Hemsky. I have very little interest in acquiring Hemsky, especially at $5 mill for next year and then he's a UFA. Very little. Sorry Huff, but I don't think Hemsky and Kane would work well together. I think they both want to be 'the guy' on a line. I see Hemsky holding on to the puck way too long and not meshing as a set-up guy for Kane, like Wheeler has. I see Hemsky being lazy at times, and not nearly as effective (say as a guy like Burmi) cycling the puck or winning puck battles down low. Hemsky would have the puck 50% of the time, and do little with it. To me, he's not a fit for the Jets style and doesn't play a solid boards game, imo.

Now, that said, he's better than Welly, so that's an upgrade. But at a considerable cost and then he's a UFA.

Hemsky worked just fine with Hall whenever they played together. Seeing as Kane's style of play is similar I don't think there would be that big of an issue matching the two. Put a smart guy like Scheifele between the two and I think you have a very good line. I'm also of the thought that a change in scenery will do Ales a world of good, not to mention it will be a contract year so I don't think effort will be a problem. If we can get him for a couple of midround picks I plan the trigger.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not anti-Hemmer by any means. My issue would be, which centre fits with him and Kane? Jokinen and Kane is a no-go. I feel like Burm can be too cute at times, and I don't know if I would want to expose a young player with that particular flaw to a guy like Hemmer. I think back to when the Oilers brought in Samsonov to play with Hemmer during their Cup run, and it turned Ales into a completely different player. He was so soft/timid before Sergei came to town, but after playing with and seeing SS go hard to the net on a consistent basis, Hemmer started doing the same. When Sergei left town again, Hemmer went right back to playing soft. Moral of the story, I fear Burm's bad tendencies could become habits while playing with Hemmer.

So that leaves Scheif. Technically I think that could be a real good fit, but I doubt we throw him into a top-6 role immediately.

I agree to the bolded (I think most of here do as well), but I wouldn't put it past Noel to put Kane and Jokinen back together next year unfortunately.

We'll definitely need to see what kind of role Scheifele can handle next year, but a slightly sheltered role with Kane and Hemsky, and then having Jokinen, with Burmistrov and a guy like O'Dell / Tangradi, etc, doesn't sound too bad to me.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

No worries Bob E. It's really only speculation on my part anyway. I can definitely see the warts that you (and jetsfan101) have mentioned.

I think why I am interested is I see it as a positive from the cost / benefit side. For one year I don't "think" the 5 million dollar contract stops us from signing any of our guys. There are definitely other guys that are "better" but I'm just wondering what they would cost to acquire?

I.E. Would it be better overall to get Hemsky for a couple of mid round picks, or would it be better to get a better winger (like a Ryan), but have to give up Buff?

Hemsky + Buff - 3rd and 4th round picks

Or

Ryan - Buff

Definitely open to other guys too though. I mention Hemsky mainly from a cost / benefit angle I just don't know how many other top 6 RW's are out there with his skill level that can "possibly" be had for less.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I meant that style wise, Burmi and Hemsky are very similar and while Burmi has not got it figured out offensively...at some point he will. I just don't see the need to pay a guy 5mil and give up an asset for him when he's not worth 5mil.

Especially when Burmi is VERY similar. There's nothing to say that you can't slot him in beside Kane and mystery centre and have similar results. Kane and Burmi have played well together in the past.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I meant that style wise, Burmi and Hemsky are very similar and while Burmi has not got it figured out offensively...at some point he will. I just don't see the need to pay a guy 5mil and give up an asset for him when he's not worth 5mil.

Especially when Burmi is VERY similar. There's nothing to say that you can't slot him in beside Kane and mystery centre and have similar results. Kane and Burmi have played well together in the past.

My position is that we wouldn't be giving up a significant asset. That's the reason I think it's an option.

If the Oilers wanted a significant asset back, then my interest goes out the window.

It's not about either or with Burmi and Hemsky. I'm just saying if the Jets could get Hemsky for "very little", then that's a potentially better situation than getting a slightly better RW at something significant. And then you could still have Burmi on the 3rd line.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No worries Bob E. It's really only speculation on my part anyway. I can definitely see the warts that you (and jetsfan101) have mentioned.

I think why I am interested is I see it as a positive from the cost / benefit side. For one year I don't "think" the 5 million dollar contract stops us from signing any of our guys. There are definitely other guys that are "better" but I'm just wondering what they would cost to acquire?

I.E. Would it be better overall to get Hemsky for a couple of mid round picks, or would it be better to get a better winger (like a Ryan), but have to give up Buff?

Hemsky + Buff - 3rd and 4th round picks

Or

Ryan - Buff

Definitely open to other guys too though. I mention Hemsky mainly from a cost / benefit angle I just don't know how many other top 6 RW's are out there with his skill level that can "possibly" be had for less.

I see what you are saying, and there's a lot of merit to it.

To be honest, I'm ready to try almost anything that improves the team, make the playoffs and build for future. A future where they are a consistent playoff team. If that means short term fixes, while drafted players develop, sobeit. I look at guys like Hemsky as a short-term/band-aid move, similar to Welly or Olli. There's times when that's needed too.

Your comment about the FA class and options is a good one. In an ideal world, guys we want, are available at the price we want to pay, but in reality, that seldom, if at anytime, works that way.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My position is that we wouldn't be giving up a significant asset. That's the reason I think it's an option.

If the Oilers wanted a significant asset back, then my interest goes out the window.

It's not about either or with Burmi and Hemsky. I'm just saying if the Jets could get Hemsky for "very little", then that's a potentially better situation than getting a slightly better RW at something significant. And then you could still have Burmi on the 3rd line.

Which I do understand...but would be...I don't want to say crippling...but makes it next to impossible to fill any of our other need.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Which I do understand...but would be...I don't want to say crippling...but makes it next to impossible to fill any of our other need.

I concur.

I'd much rather the Jets go for a cheaper "Moneypuck" solution that can be had for a discount (Pierre-Marc Bouchard?) and use their remaining cap space to address needs at backup G and LHD. Really don't like the idea of Hemsky tying up $5M worth of salary, even for just a season.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
At what point do you have to worry about convincing your existing players that your interest in competing at a high level and challenging to be more than a round 1 chump stain, or the best 9th place team ever is going to be real in the time they have left in their careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad