Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I started a trade proposal thread on the main board, based on rumours out of COL and NYI. Assuming Trouba wants out...

To Avs: Trouba
To Isles: Little, Dano
To Jets: Duchene, Hamonic

Jets give up Little, Trouba and Dano for Duchene and Hamonic.

Early comments on the main board are that the Jets make out like bandits, which isn't a surprising reaction.

Thoughts?

All I see happening here is us downgrading from Trouba to Hamonic, and then getting 1 season of Duchene before the team has to decide if they need to flip him in the summer of 2018, trade him at the deadline, or lose him for nothing. Or are we assuming that he re-signs with the Jets somehow?

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
If I read correctly Little is signed through 17-18 with a modified NTC and is currently 29 years old. Duchene is signed through 18-19 with no protection and is currently 26 years old.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Looks like we'll need to pick up a goalie this off-season. If Helle uses the rest of the season to show he can be a legit starter next year, then we'll need a good back-up that can push him. If it looks like he needs more time, then we'll need a veteran starter to split time with him.

Who should the Jets target this off-season either through trade or FA signing?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looks like we'll need to pick up a goalie this off-season. If Helle uses the rest of the season to show he can be a legit starter next year, then we'll need a good back-up that can push him. If it looks like he needs more time, then we'll need a veteran starter to split time with him.

I would go after Greiss if the $$$/term do not go too high.

He was available and signed in FA in 3 of the last 4 years. He performed very well each time he was signed. Always small $$$ and short term. I expect the bidding will go higher this time.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Pending UFA Goalies: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

Anyone off that list? What kind of salary and term are the Jets looking to spend? A one- or two-year deal for $2M-$3M per?

In the "no" column because they'll want starter money/term: Miller, Bishop, Johnson, Greiss, Darling.

Maybe: Bernier, Mason, Elliot.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Starter term meaning 5 or 6 years?

If we could grab Bishop for 5M over 2-3 years (around there) and pair him with Hellebuyck we should jump all over that.

We should have learned our lesson to try and have two good goalies, not one. Maybe if we try for two next year, we only end up with one. Instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

If we get outbid, that's the way she goes I guess. But Bishop would go a long way to solidifying our goaltending situation. If he was a real good F or D we'd literally have zero chance to get him. But him being a goalie gives me some hope.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Anyone off that list? What kind of salary and term are the Jets looking to spend? A one- or two-year deal for $2M-$3M per?

In the "no" column because they'll want starter money/term: Miller, Bishop, Johnson, Greiss, Darling.

You would think you could get a Neuvirth or Kuemper for a reasonable price, they are decent. Where will Darling sign? Vegas?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This thread has been pretty quiet all season. Somebody suggested it might be time to start dealing our veteran players and it heated up. Does anyone believe Chevy is actually going to trade anyone other than pending UFA's?

I'm not attacking any of the proposals being made but I don't think anything is going to happen. In the off-season I hope Chevy targets a backup goalie and a 3 LHD. More likely he signs Pavelec and waits for Logan Stanley to develop.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

None of those is any/much better than Hutch.

I don't know what Greiss and Darling will end up getting. Darling is 3 years younger than Greiss. That might bring him a bigger contract than would make sense for the Jets. He also has only 3 more career games than Helle, all playing behind the Hawks D. Not quite what I would call proven.

I would be happy to get Greiss for 10 mil over 3 years. He can start until Helle takes the job away from him. If that never happens at least then we know we need another goalie in a reasonable time frame. IDK if that would get him. I don't think I would want to go higher, all things considered but we need somebody who can play at an NHL level.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rather have Trouba for 2 more years than Hamonic.

Really good chance that Hamonic will want to spend the rest of his career in Winnipeg, and might give the Jets decent contract terms. He requested a trade back to Winnipeg last season for family reasons.

Duchene is younger and has a extra year of term on his contract over Little, which gives him a bit more value.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Duchene-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Copp-Petan-Roslovic

(Tanev, De Leo, Lemieux)

Morrissey-Hamonic
Enstrom-Buff
Poolman-Myers

(Dano to Isles, Perreault to Vegas)

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
^ Maybe. I soured a bit on Hamonic watching a few Isles games. Not even his fault they keep losing but still.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This thread has been pretty quiet all season. Somebody suggested it might be time to start dealing our veteran players and it heated up. Does anyone believe Chevy is actually going to trade anyone other than pending UFA's?

I'm not attacking any of the proposals being made but I don't think anything is going to happen. In the off-season I hope Chevy targets a backup goalie and a 3 LHD. More likely he signs Pavelec and waits for Logan Stanley to develop.

You can't be serious. That's about as pessimistic of a result possible but then again anything is possible. Going to be some decent UFA goalies out there, that's what we need for sure. And if he doesn't prioritize getting some better D depth (prospects or players) somehow through trades, then we may as well just give up on Chevy already.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
None of those is any/much better than Hutch.

I don't know what Greiss and Darling will end up getting. Darling is 3 years younger than Greiss. That might bring him a bigger contract than would make sense for the Jets. He also has only 3 more career games than Helle, all playing behind the Hawks D. Not quite what I would call proven.

I would be happy to get Greiss for 10 mil over 3 years. He can start until Helle takes the job away from him. If that never happens at least then we know we need another goalie in a reasonable time frame. IDK if that would get him. I don't think I would want to go higher, all things considered but we need somebody who can play at an NHL level.

Yup, Greiss has been kicking around as a decent UFA for years. I'd be all for getting him for 2-3 years & letting him & Helle compete for #1.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, Greiss has been kicking around as a decent UFA for years. I'd be all for getting him for 2-3 years & letting him & Helle compete for #1.

Oh I'd take a look at Griess too - but I think he'll have a few suitors and I don't know if the Jets want to spend much money here. The approach since Pavelec was signed is to spend as little as possible - in both effort and money - on fixing the problem. Is there even a problem? They sure haven't been acting like it...up until this week, of course.

Man, all the years we suffered through **** goaltending and calling Pavelec up from the Moose the other day is the most dramatic thing they've ever attempted to fix it... :shakehead

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oh I'd take a look at Griess too - but I think he'll have a few suitors and I don't know if the Jets want to spend much money here. The approach since Pavelec was signed is to spend as little as possible - in both effort and money - on fixing the problem. Is there even a problem? They sure haven't been acting like it...up until this week, of course.

Man, all the years we suffered through **** goaltending and calling Pavelec up from the Moose the other day is the most dramatic thing they've ever attempted to fix it... :shakehead

....and here I thought that the most dramatic attempt they've made to improve goaltending was to waive Pavs and go with Hellebuyck and Hutch. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really good chance that Hamonic will want to spend the rest of his career in Winnipeg, and might give the Jets decent contract terms. He requested a trade back to Winnipeg last season for family reasons.

Duchene is younger and has a extra year of term on his contract over Little, which gives him a bit more value.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Duchene-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Copp-Petan-Roslovic

(Tanev, De Leo, Lemieux)

Morrissey-Hamonic
Enstrom-Buff
Poolman-Myers

(Dano to Isles, Perreault to Vegas)

I am not wild about that trade proposal of yours Whileee. I thought the reaction on the main board was simply ridiculous though.

That is some 4th line you have there! :) :laugh:

You can't be serious. That's about as pessimistic of a result possible but then again anything is possible. Going to be some decent UFA goalies out there, that's what we need for sure. And if he doesn't prioritize getting some better D depth (prospects or players) somehow through trades, then we may as well just give up on Chevy already.

Yeah, I can be serious. He compares well to some of those other UFA's that would be available. Not that I'm recommending it but If he is even half good the rest of this season I could see Chevy doing it rather than going hard for an actual NHL goalie.

I think Chevy will continue to draft and develop till heck freezes over. I believe that now, more than ever is the time to transition to bolder, more aggressive targeting of our specific weaknesses. I don't think Chevy will do that. He will trade pending UFA's at the TD unless we are in or near a PO position. He will draft and wait patiently for his picks to arrive. That means that we will always have an unbalanced roster with 1 or 2 fatal weaknesses. Hope I am wrong but I expect nothing from Chevy in the off-season.

There are some UFA goalies that will get too much. There are others who just are not worth getting. No better than Hutch/Pav. Greiss looks to me to be in a small group in between who might be worth what they would cost. Of course the demand for him might be up there finally in which case he likely isn't worth it either but I think his age will keep him affordable.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hindsight and all that...

But turning back the clock, I don't hate the idea of signing a guy like Reimer last summer. He didn't get all that much (3.4) and could have been a good guy to run shotgun with Helle for a few years. I'd take his .913 right now.

I'm guessing that Hutch could have still be re-signed to play for the Moose and exposed (or anyone for that matter).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm not at all confident that Chevy is going to do any better than what he has done in the past. Bernier, Mason and Elliott though? No better than Pav/Hutch. Do not solve the problem - at all. Greiss may get bid up too high. If so who is available who would actually be a positive step? I'd rather make a pitch for Halak than any of those others. Condon maybe?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hindsight and all that...

But turning back the clock, I don't hate the idea of signing a guy like Reimer last summer. He didn't get all that much (3.4) and could have been a good guy to run shotgun with Helle for a few years. I'd take his .913 right now.

I'm guessing that Hutch could have still be re-signed to play for the Moose and exposed (or anyone for that matter).

It isn't about exposing. It is about protecting. It doesn't matter how many qualified goalies you may expose. You can only protect 1. I assume we would still protect Hellebuyck. If that meant Reimer was taken then we wouldn't have to worry about D and F. Or they take a F and we get to keep our goalies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It isn't about exposing. It is about protecting. It doesn't matter how many qualified goalies you may expose. You can only protect 1. I assume we would still protect Hellebuyck. If that meant Reimer was taken then we wouldn't have to worry about D and F. Or they take a F and we get to keep our goalies.

You're right, lost my marbles for a second there.

He'd be the type of guy I'd like to add this summer though after the expansion draft (if he was available).

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

I'd really lean toward Mason or Elliot, if the term could be kept down. Mason, in particular, has had multiple top-end seasons. Not against the idea of buying low, either.

Could backfire, though.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not at all confident that Chevy is going to do any better than what he has done in the past. Bernier, Mason and Elliott though? No better than Pav/Hutch. Do not solve the problem - at all. Greiss may get bid up too high. If so who is available who would actually be a positive step? I'd rather make a pitch for Halak than any of those others. Condon maybe?

Elliot has been bad this year, but he's got a pretty solid track record. You don't think he'd be a better backup than Hutch or Pavs? I think he might be cheap and should regress toward his career average (.913). Mason had a good long run, preceded by a terrible long run, preceded by a good rookie season. Bernier might be permanently broken, I don't know. Condon's not that good I don't think.

And I agree that Greiss is probably going to be out of the Jets' range...I'd take a run though if I were Chevy. We've got $3.9M in cap and $4.75M in actual salary dollars opening up with Pavelec's contract expiry.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Does everyone prefer to save a mil or two AAV to go with a goalie without a good track record as a starter? Even if they have a great save percentage over the years? Bishop has won playoff rounds and played in big games.

There's a difference between putting up a .920 as a backup and .920 over multiple 60 game seasons.

If people are assuming price will be too high, or term way too long (5-6 years) I get it.

To me, paying $3M over a few years for a career backup like Greiss is asking for the same problems we have this year.

I believe 2yrsx6 or 3x5 should be enough to get Bishop here. Maybe a wee bit more if it was the difference between having a good vet and not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Does everyone prefer to save a mil or two AAV to go with a goalie without a good track record as a starter? Even if they have a great save percentage over the years? Bishop has won playoff rounds and played in big games.

There's a difference between putting up a .920 as a backup and .920 over multiple 60 game seasons.

If people are assuming price will be too high, or term way too long (5-6 years) I get it.

To me, paying $3M over a few years for a career backup like Greiss is asking for the same problems we have this year.

I believe 2yrsx6 or 3x5 should be enough to get Bishop here. Maybe a wee bit more if it was the difference between having a good vet and not.

Bishop apparently wouldn't waive to go to Calgary earlier this year so I doubt he'd sign here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad