Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I don't go to main board often, but some guy tweeted (mcpw help me here) how about:
Toronto calls up jets and trade for pavelec and grab a jets pick in meantime. Would you do it?
Which round would it take 2nd? Or later round if we retain some salary? This actually makes sense for both sides, we go helly hutch and they got a backup for a year and gain a pick. Any chance?

I don't get this. We're giving them Pavs and a pick and get nothing back? What's in it for us?
Am I missing something?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't get this. We're giving them Pavs and a pick and get nothing back? What's in it for us?
Am I missing something?

I should've mentioned a later pick, they take in his salary, we get rid of him and that gets us to two goalies. What you think jets will do with the three to start year? Looks like helly ahl is that what u want?
Plus we don't have to waive hutch and go with our best two goalies to start year.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Yeah but could you imagine the damage on a guys psyche if you got traded with a pick for nothing? Basically both organizations saying you have negative value.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I should've mentioned a later pick, they take in his salary, we get rid of him and that gets us to two goalies. What you think jets will do with the three to start year? Looks like helly ahl is that what u want?
Plus we don't have to waive hutch and go with our best two goalies to start year.

Ok, this kind of makes sense. We have to get something back. Giving up a goalie (and his salary) plus a pick and getting absolutely nothing back? Seemed like there might be better options out there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Waiving Hutch also presents the other risk of losing him and possibly down the line being penalized at the up coming expansion draft. Helly and Hutch are the only 2 goalies in the organization that meet expansion draft requirements. Need to protect Helly and expose Hutch. IMO Helly as a starter and Hutch as a well used backup gives us the best possibility at NHL quality goaltending this season.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Couldn't the Jets just sign some random goalie to fill the expansion draft needs? What are the requirements?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Couldn't the Jets just sign some random goalie to fill the expansion draft needs? What are the requirements?

You need to expose at least 1 goalie that is under contract for a minimum of 1 season or is a RFA. I guess you could sign someone for this purpose, but I'd still move Pavs and risk Hutch to the expansion draft. It appears like there will be better options for Vegas so Hutch is likely to remain a Jet. If he does get selected either Comrie is ready or you then go looking for a backup for Helly.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I'm not sure of all the intricacies involved, but for next season, would we not be able to start the season with Hutch and Helle, have Pavs play for the Moose, without risking anyone on waivers?
Thiis way, we would be basically eating Pav's contract, but still have him around as insurance in case of injuries. Might be a better option than trading him with a pick for essentially nothing.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm not sure of all the intricacies involved, but for next season, would we not be able to start the season with Hutch and Helle, have Pavs play for the Moose, without risking anyone on waivers?
Thiis way, we would be basically eating Pav's contract, but still have him around as insurance in case of injuries. Might be a better option than trading him with a pick for essentially nothing.

Pavelec would have to be put on waivers to go to the Moose.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb

And what is the downside to that? Maybe we get lucky and someone plucks him off waivers

I agree, and would add the same logic applies to thorbs and stu. I don't get the argument you often see on here that these guys will play on the jets "because they are under contract". They are under contract whether they play for the jets, moose or other. So merit should be the logical criterion for roster selection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

And what is the downside to that? Maybe we get lucky and someone plucks him off waivers

I never said there was a downside. The post I quoted seemed to think that putting Pav on the Moose would avoid placing a goaltender on waivers.

From a team budget point of view, having Pav on the Moose instead of Hellebuyck for the whole season would cost an extra $597,500

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What makes paying TO to take him off our hands better than waiving him? You think they won't send him down but they will give up a pick AND retain salary to get rid of him?

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I never said there was a downside. The post I quoted seemed to think that putting Pav on the Moose would avoid placing a goaltender on waivers.

From a team budget point of view, having Pav on the Moose instead of Hellebuyck for the whole season would cost an extra $597,500

Yes, you're right. I wasn't sure if he would still qualify for waivers if we did it at the start of the season. But as mentioned earlier, we're still stuck with his salary, no matter what. If someone picks him up on waivers, problem solved. If not, he can be injury insurance. Why not play the players that give us the best chance to win? Pavs doesn't figure in our future anyway.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, you're right. I wasn't sure if he would still qualify for waivers if we did it at the start of the season. But as mentioned earlier, we're still stuck with his salary, no matter what. If someone picks him up on waivers, problem solved. If not, he can be injury insurance. Why not play the players that give us the best chance to win? Pavs doesn't figure in our future anyway.

I'm on board with sending Pavs to the minors. Seems unlikely but holy **** that would send a message we are all in this season. If that happens I'm fine with Stu and Thor being PB guys with the odd game here and there when injuries raise their head.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I don't understand the reluctance over the past couple years of sending Pavs down to the minors. So we could lose him on waivers? I don't think a lot of us would be terribly upset with that.
Lose him for a second round draft pick
Or
Lose him for free?
Is there even a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad