Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What do you mean one day lol. He's a third line player right now. It would suck to lose Dano to expansion because I think he can be a top six forward...if not a top winger. Chances are that he won't though. Most likely a 2nd line forward.

You may want to label him as a perm 3Rd liner and potentially a 2nd line player after a very small sample size, but imo he has to prove he is one first and earn that shot. No freebies here. Hopefully this year he can earn a perm. NHL roster spot.

Side point, imo he will never be a perm top 6 player unless it's Vegas. If this team can't recover quickly from losing a bottom 6 player (like all teams might) then we have bigger problems then we realize. I'm not worried about, as long as we don't lose a valuable core piece. Meh, no biggie

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You may want to label him as a perm 3Rd liner and potentially a 2nd line player after a very small sample size, but imo he has to prove he is one first and earn that shot. No freebies here. Hopefully this year he can earn a perm. NHL roster spot.

Side point, imo he will never be a perm top 6 player unless it's Vegas.

You're right. Not with our Winger depth. I would hope that he continues his development though. But at the least he his a really great 3rd line winger with go chemistry with Burmistrov.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
He's proved more then many players this roster has iced before him.

He's second line by pretty much all metrics and no, that's not only because of his games with Columbus.
He played the same amount of games in Winnipeg/chicago and using these methods those games count for MORE then the games in Columbus did.

He's a very strong third liner right now, and likely an effective second liner if given the opportunity.

He will never wow with individual talents but is very much a johnny -on-the-spot type player without cheating, which isnt super common.

Burmi Perrault dano could be a borderline second line "third line" if burmis improved game with those two wasn't a mirage.

Dano isn't "going to be" a good third liner , he is that right now.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

He's second line by pretty much all metrics and no, that's not only because of his games with Columbus.
He played the same amount of games in Winnipeg/chicago and using these methods those games count for MORE then the games in Columbus did.

He's a very strong third liner right now, and likely an effective second liner if given the opportunity.

He will never wow with individual talents but is very much a johnny -on-the-spot type player without cheating, which isnt super common.

Burmi Perrault dano could be a borderline second line "third line" if burmis improved game with those two wasn't a mirage.

Right there with you. Wasn't Burmi C though?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do you mean one day lol. He's a third line player right now. It would suck to lose Dano to expansion because I think he can be a top six forward...if not a top winger. Chances are that he won't though. Most likely a 2nd line forward.

Not for the Jets. Top 6 W's are filled for the foreseeable future. I think he will be our 3RW for the next 6-8 years and a very good one. That is if he is not traded or lost to expansion.

Armia still hasn't had a breakout season. He is entering D+6. If he doesn't have that season soon (like next year soon) he will be a career 4th liner with enough skill to move up when needed.

This is not dumping on either player. It is being realistic. It is saying they will be successful bottom 6 players. Not that they will be bottom 6 players because they have failed.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Man I so wish I see the player you do, but I just do not.

I would like to go over video of a handful of his games played with us last season, with yourself, and I can point out what I am seeing, and you can explain to me what your numbers are seeing differently.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Man I so wish I see the player you do, but I just do not.

I would like to go over video of a handful of his games played with us last season, with yourself, and I can point out what I am seeing, and you can explain to me what your numbers are seeing differently.

i think Dano's a player whose metrics were very impressive, his eyeball test was pretty bleh but his sample size likely makes both of those relatively irrelevant

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
i think Dano's a player whose metrics were very impressive, his eyeball test was pretty bleh but his sample size likely makes both of those relatively irrelevant

Dano is a player that is difficult to see what he does as a layman to scouting.

His numbers though are from a fairly decent, albeit not huge, sample size. You don't get those results simply by being bad.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Not for the Jets. Top 6 W's are filled for the foreseeable future. I think he will be our 3RW for the next 6-8 years and a very good one. That is if he is not traded or lost to expansion.

Armia still hasn't had a breakout season. He is entering D+6. If he doesn't have that season soon (like next year soon) he will be a career 4th liner with enough skill to move up when needed.

This is not dumping on either player. It is being realistic. It is saying they will be successful bottom 6 players. Not that they will be bottom 6 players because they have failed.

Armia likely tops out as a third line player. That's about the most we can hope for at this point.

As an aside, what do you mean our top six RW spots are tied up going forward? Yes, one is Ehlers and the other is...Wheeler?

His contract is up in threw years, and who knows how effective he will be in three years time or if he even wants to stick around?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Armia likely tops out as a third line player. That's about the most we can hope for at this point.

As an aside, what do you mean our top six RW spots are tied up going forward? Yes, one is Ehlers and the other is...Wheeler?

His contract is up in threw years, and who knows how effective he will be in three years time or if he even wants to stick around?

Not just RW, both wings. Yes Wheeler. 3 years is the foreseeable future. You say it yourself, "who knows how effective he will be in three years time or if he even wants to stick around". Maybe in 3 years Wheeler becomes the 2nd Jet captain to be traded at the TD in the final year of his contract. Maybe Dano, Armia and Roslovic are fighting it out for that RW spot or maybe it is filled by the player we draft first next year. Maybe Wheeler is extended and still performing at a top 6 level. Who knows?

For the foreseeable future the Jets top 6 is set. After that I think C becomes the position of concern but IDK. That is beyond the predictable horizon.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not just RW, both wings. Yes Wheeler. 3 years is the foreseeable future. You say it yourself, "who knows how effective he will be in three years time or if he even wants to stick around". Maybe in 3 years Wheeler becomes the 2nd Jet captain to be traded at the TD in the final year of his contract. Maybe Dano, Armia and Roslovic are fighting it out for that RW spot or maybe it is filled by the player we draft first next year. Maybe Wheeler is extended and still performing at a top 6 level. Who knows?

For the foreseeable future the Jets top 6 is set. After that I think C becomes the position of concern but IDK. That is beyond the predictable horizon.

Absolutely . These things never goes as planned.

I just want to make it clear when I use the terms top six/third line etc I'm speaking strictly in ability verse the rest of the league (or top 120 wingers with being in the top 90 being above average second line) etc.

I don't care about where they slot on the depth chart of this team. When your running a team where half your third line could be second line and most of your fourth line are technically third line that's when you really start competing.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I still maintain a quiet hope that armia becomes frolik type player for our club.

A guy who can work in the middle six but due to depth is being under utilised.

I don't know how likely it is that's just hunch.

If he doesn't break out with us next season I have feeling hell be let go for peanuts and find his footing at 24-25 on a weak roster willing to give him a chance.

Edit: not that I will blame the other if this happens as I'm pretty confident In all the young players we have filling that gap.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
A top 9 that includes.... Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Perreault and Dano as wingers is pretty solid to very good, IMO.

A 4th line that has Petan, Lemieux, Armia, Lipon and Kosmachuk vying for time could work too.

Still don't see how Stafford fits in. A team needing to get to the cap floor may give a 3rd+ to get him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I was trying to figure out Stafford a d for him to be on the roster Connor must start in the ahl, one of thorburn and pekuso can't be here and one of armia or Dano must be K. The fourth line and literally no player that wasn't on this roster can be added (no UFAs no Lipon/Lemieix/Petan/Kosmo/Tanev. Etc)

It's just so crowded with him

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was trying to figure out Stafford a d for him to be on the roster Connor must start in the ahl, one of thorburn and pekuso can't be here and one of armia or Dano must be K. The fourth line and literally no player that wasn't on this roster can be added (no UFAs no Lipon/Lemieix/Petan/Kosmo/Tanev. Etc)

It's just so crowded with him

Agreed. They need to get rid of him. He's holding players back.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

This.

Last season he played one game, near the end, in which he was very good. Moved the puck quickly, fast on the forecheck, played aggressively and physical, and skated very well.

The numbers make sense in the context of that game, but it was one of few that I saw.

I am completely ok with being wrong here, and will be curious to see what he brings next season, and what role he is placed in, if he makes the team to start the season.

I believe he won't.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
One game? Have you forgotten how many games that Perre-Burmi-Dano line was, and how effective they were?
(better shot and expected goal differential than Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler although with easier mins)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One game? Have you forgotten how many games that Perre-Burmi-Dano line was, and how effective they were?
(better shot and expected goal differential than Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler although with easier mins)

Petan-Copp-Laine seemed like a decent trio for the time they were together late in the season.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Here's my take on all this.

The league is about to fart in the general direction of Pequiste Karl Peladeau and limit our losses to one player. That's one player from a team that finished 6th worst in the league and should have been lower but for some late season failure to tank.

I have to think that in the greater scheme of building a contender, this is not going to be a devastating setback no matter who we lose. The players we will expose just aren't that **** hot. They just seem that way because we don't yet have something better. I mean, go to the trade board. How many proposals to do you see for Myers or Dano or Armia?

Thank you Somebody Important. Thirty teams will lose a player. We are one of them. We are in a far better position than almost every other team in the league. If we lose our 15th to 20th best potential player (given that we probably have more exempt prospects) we are in a net win position.

It seems to me that there are more important issues than this. I have my ideas as to what they are, but I would like to hear from others.

The amount of worry on this subject is overdone.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I agree that the Jets should end up better off than most other teams when it comes to the expansion draft. But I'm not sure I'd describe the discussion here as "worry". Regardless of who other teams lose, we still want to arrange our roster and choose players to protect in such a way to minimize the loss to the club.

That's an interesting discussion, in a time when there ain't that much else to talk about.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Absolutely . These things never goes as planned.

I just want to make it clear when I use the terms top six/third line etc I'm speaking strictly in ability verse the rest of the league (or top 120 wingers with being in the top 90 being above average second line) etc.

I don't care about where they slot on the depth chart of this team. When your running a team where half your third line could be second line and most of your fourth line are technically third line that's when you really start competing.

Yes, really good teams have that kind of depth. I expect both Dano and Armia to be strong bottom 6 players who are good enough to move up when we have injuries.

If we play our best players we will be able to roll 4 lines. Our 3rd pair won't be something we have to avoid using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad