Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Re: guys like Stemp and Tlusty, indicated that they were looking for opportunities to play higher in the line-up than they would with the Jets (i.e. didn't want to be bottom line players, and saw opportunities with NJD that the Jets couldn't offer them).

That's not what he said. He said some players look for opportunities to play higher. He didn't mention any player specifically and he didn't mention the Jets roster specifically. As events in the summer clearly demonstrate, that does not apply to at least Stempniak, who knew what he was getting with the Jets and was more than willing to sign here. That snippet was Chevy completely obfuscating and sidestepping the issue -- basically a load of self-serving b.s.

Has Hellebuyck won a permanent NHL job? Really hard to tell. I don't think it's a given that he won't go back to the Moose, depending on his performance.

Lawless asked him if Helly had done enough to stick with the Jets. What Chevy answered instead, in his usual rambling, say-nothing way, is that if a player makes a mistake, that's no reason to say it's time to move on. Chevy basically answered the opposite of what Lawless asked him.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Also, as we're not going to be close to the cap in a few years, I hope (but doubt) that Chevy would look at taking back a bad contract short term (2 years max after this year) if it increases the assets he can acquire.

I get they dont want to waste money, but just go hit up Thomson for dozen mil or so.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Unless he has completely gone downhill (and I can't see it), how could you not entertain signing a 25 yr old scoring machine like Stamkos for 10 mil. We're prepared to give a 30 yr old Buff 8 mil, but we'd balk at 10 mil for Stamkos??

Who is prepared to give Buff 8 mil?

I think the bar for Stamkos is set by Toews & Kane. 10.5, make it 10.6 so he can be king of the hill.

That is ~14.5% of the current cap. Personally I can't see devoting that much of your limit to any one player but that is where the Hawks put the bar.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Unless he has completely gone downhill (and I can't see it), how could you not entertain signing a 25 yr old scoring machine like Stamkos for 10 mil. We're prepared to give a 30 yr old Buff 8 mil, but we'd balk at 10 mil for Stamkos??

$2 mil/less/year.
Buff plays about 5 min (if not more) a game.
his value would be $12-13 mil if we're looking at minutes on the ice. :)

in a cap age, that extra $2 mil is huge.
and if Stamkos is so great, why has his role reduced this year and at the end of last year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's not what he said. He said some players look for opportunities to play higher. He didn't mention any player specifically and he didn't mention the Jets roster specifically. As events in the summer clearly demonstrate, that does not apply to at least Stempniak, who knew what he was getting with the Jets and was more than willing to sign here. That snippet was Chevy completely obfuscating and sidestepping the issue -- basically a load of self-serving b.s.

Lawless asked him directly about vet UFAs that the Jets didn't sign, and whether that was to make room for younger players. To me, it was pretty obvious that they were both talking about the Jets roster, and the vets that the Jets didn't re-sign (which would be basically Stemp and Tlusty). Maybe others have a different take on it, but I thought it was clear that both the interviewer and Chevy were referring to the Jets.

Did you expect anything else from an NHL GM? If so, why?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Also, as we're not going to be close to the cap in a few years, I hope (but doubt) that Chevy would look at taking back a bad contract short term (2 years max after this year) if it increases the assets he can acquire.

I get they dont want to waste money, but just go hit up Thomson for dozen mil or so.

Thompson put up capital money to buy the team (or backed Chipman's loan). He doesn't provide operating money. Operating funds have to be generated from operating revenue. He might be on the hook for a share of operating losses if there are any but that is different than what you are suggesting.

That is the wrong way to look at it anyway. Accepting a cap dump is just an acquisition cost. If the player is worth it and we have the cap space then it shouldn't be a problem. They used to buy and sell contracts until the Gretzky trade. Taking back a bad contract is no different. Is Drouin worth 7-8 million in acquisition cost?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thompson put up capital money to buy the team (or backed Chipman's loan). He doesn't provide operating money. Operating funds have to be generated from operating revenue. He might be on the hook for a share of operating losses if there are any but that is different than what you are suggesting.

That is the wrong way to look at it anyway. Accepting a cap dump is just an acquisition cost. If the player is worth it and we have the cap space then it shouldn't be a problem. They used to buy and sell contracts until the Gretzky trade. Taking back a bad contract is no different. Is Drouin worth 7-8 million in acquisition cost?

I know, it was a joke about hitting up Thomson =P.

Cap dumps can help push a deal over the edge. A team taking a cap dump from Tampa may enable them to re Stamkos or go after other FA's in the offseason.

I have no problem taking Carle for (two?) years if it helps us get Drouin.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Who is prepared to give Buff 8 mil?

I think the bar for Stamkos is set by Toews & Kane. 10.5, make it 10.6 so he can be king of the hill.

That is ~14.5% of the current cap. Personally I can't see devoting that much of your limit to any one player but that is where the Hawks put the bar.

If the Hawks can field a competitive team paying 2 guys that much each, why wouldn't we be able to integrate him into our lineup. After all, its maybe 3 million more than many are advocating we pay for a 30 year old Buff.

I'm not really advocating going after Stamkos by the way, just saying it would automatically give us that elite C & elite scorer (I think he's still that?) & isn't that what so many people have been clamoring for.

Regarding why he isn't being used a top-liner in TB, ask Cooper that & why he seem to care less whether Drouin remains there as well.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Lawless asked him directly about vet UFAs that the Jets didn't sign, and whether that was to make room for younger players. To me, it was pretty obvious that they were both talking about the Jets roster, and the vets that the Jets didn't re-sign (which would be basically Stemp and Tlusty). Maybe others have a different take on it, but I thought it was clear that both the interviewer and Chevy were referring to the Jets.

Did you expect anything else from an NHL GM? If so, why?

Lawless was referring to the Jets. Chevy wasn't.

It was very clear to me that Chevy was not talking about Stemp, and what he was actually doing was employing a tactic to fool people into believing (a) of the following two options:

(a) Chevy wanted to introduce more youth into the lineup, but because Stempniak (and Tlusty) wanted to play on a line of their choosing, they couldn't be signed.

(b) Chevy wanted to introduce more youth into the lineup, but because Chevy, like a moron, values useless plugs like Peluso and Thorburn as depth over real hockey players like Stemp, they couldn't be signed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know, it was a joke about hitting up Thomson =P.

Cap dumps can help push a deal over the edge. A team taking a cap dump from Tampa may enable them to re Stamkos or go after other FA's in the offseason.

I have no problem taking Carle for (two?) years if it helps us get Drouin.

Couldn't tell if you were joking or not and a lot of people seem to think a wealthy owner allows for free spending.

I'm with you on Carle. Callahan is still a useful player so is more attractive that way but he has 4 more years and is definitely fading.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Hawks can field a competitive team paying 2 guys that much each, why wouldn't we be able to integrate him into our lineup. After all, its maybe 3 million more than many are advocating we pay for a 30 year old Buff.

I'm not really advocating going after Stamkos by the way, just saying it would automatically give us that elite C & elite scorer (I think he's still that?) & isn't that what so many people have been clamoring for.

Regarding why he isn't being used a top-liner in TB, ask Cooper that & why he seem to care less whether Drouin remains there as well.

Didn't say I wouldn't pay Stamkos that much but I would be very uncomfortable with the commitment. 84 million $$$ is a pretty big risk. Of course you insure against injury but what about an injury like Ladd's? The insurance would stop as soon as the player is medically cleared to play. There are also many other ways a player can fail to live up to expectations.

Does Cooper have a problem handling elite players? Or does he have a couple of elite players who are (extra) hard to handle?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
T-Bay is looking for RHD according to a Tbay reporter this am- they are also looking for some decent talent going back the other way. That is why there is so much smoke around Fabri and Shattenkirk. Calgary is also in the mix.

If we dream of Drouin we'd be sending some serious goods the other way. None of Petan, Postma etc... would get this done. Buff is intruiging but something would have to go with him like one of our 1st round picks from last year. I don't believe Petan et al would get it done.

Any reports that Chevy even made the call to Stevie? or is he still in the process of tracking down Yzerman's phone #. The process will probably take so long that we won't be in the mix.

Postma is apparantly on a two week conditioning assignment.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
T-Bay is looking for RHD according to a Tbay reporter this am- they are also looking for some decent talent going back the other way. That is why there is so much smoke around Fabri and Shattenkirk. Calgary is also in the mix.

If we dream of Drouin we'd be sending some serious goods the other way. None of Petan, Postma etc... would get this done. Buff is intruiging but something would have to go with him like one of our 1st round picks from last year. I don't believe Petan et al would get it done.

Any reports that Chevy even made the call to Stevie? or is he still in the process of tracking down Yzerman's phone #. The process will probably take so long that we won't be in the mix.

Postma is apparantly on a two week conditioning assignment.

Petan is not a talented player? Because he didn't succeed at 19 in the NHL in a miscast role?

Petan is first round pick value. I have no idea what would need to be added on top but he's hardly some useless throw in (which I admit is not far off on Postma)

Where did you hear 2 weeks?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Petan is not a talented player? Because he didn't succeed at 19 in the NHL in a miscast role?

Petan is first round pick value. I have no idea what would need to be added on top but he's hardly some useless throw in (which I admit is not far off on Postma)

Where did you hear 2 weeks?

Heard two weeks on H&L but perhaps my screaming kids altered what was actually said.

Yzerman is looking for an overpayment. He has this guy under contract until the end of next season.

Some GM will overpay. I am interested in what Calgary would be offering.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Is it possible that Chevy is resigned to the fact that in this market he can not resign Buff and Ladd to the term and monies that they want,and is just biding his time until the inevitable trades that he is gonna have to make.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is it possible that Chevy is resigned to the fact that in this market he can not resign Buff and Ladd to the term and monies that they want,and is just biding his time until the inevitable trades that he is gonna have to make.

This line of thought is what a good chunk of the media is speculating. Imo I think Buff has never really been in their long term plans whereas I think Chevy expected to get something done with Ladd. Now I think he may be more inclined to deal both.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Some info from Chevy's interview....

"It's a process".... (ha ha)

Re: guys like Stemp and Tlusty, indicated that they were looking for opportunities to play higher in the line-up than they would with the Jets (i.e. didn't want to be bottom line players, and saw opportunities with NJD that the Jets couldn't offer them).

Refused to comment on what he'll do with Ladd and Buff (didn't expect anything else). Noted that all of the Jets' pro scouts are in town, planning for future decisions "at the NHL level".

Alluded to some of the future uncertainty in terms of future costs of players coming off ELCs (e.g. Scheif, Trouba, Hutch, Lowry).

Sounded like he wanted to keep Scheif and Trouba for the long-term, but not clear whether it would include an initial "bridge" deal. That's subject to negotiation.

Has Hellebuyck won a permanent NHL job? Really hard to tell. I don't think it's a given that he won't go back to the Moose, depending on his performance.

Long-range planning is complicated (duh).

"The game is getting younger" (note: Ladd and Buff are not).

Didn't learn a thing from the interview, which is almost certainly Chevy's objective.
Bolded: Thorburn has played damn near the whole season in the top 9 of a healthy Jets team.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This place is on fire today! :laugh: Ive havent seen the threads this wound up since we drafted some no name named Mark Scheifele :sarcasm:
I think we are far to fired up as it's not even close to the deadline, wait till we are up 2 pts in a playoff spot, then this roof will blow off this place :yo:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This place is on fire today! :laugh: Ive havent seen the threads this wound up since we drafted some no name named Mark Scheifele :sarcasm:
I think we are far to fired up as it's not even close to the deadline, wait till we are up 2 pts in a playoff spot, then this roof will blow off this place :yo:

I am more concerned by the Ladd and Buff thing than in or out of the playoffs.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I am more concerned by the Ladd and Buff thing than in or out of the playoffs.

We're all intrigued by the outcome but these boards are unreal. Maybe Chevy was to loyal to the ATL core and gave them more respect than they deserved, and now will flip the top two so called leaders for picks. Maybe Chevy is an incompetent fool. Maybe he actually knows what he's doing. None of us bozos know any of it, we can just speculate, which we all do but the boards just seem over the top today.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
This line of thought is what a good chunk of the media is speculating. Imo I think Buff has never really been in their long term plans whereas I think Chevy expected to get something done with Ladd. Now I think he may be more inclined to deal both.

I believe your right and has no other option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad