Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Fair enough, just don't see a fit then as doubt TB is taking a UFA or lesser pieces that others are offering here.

I'm not sure if TB would be looking for a UFA like Ladd or Buff either. I'm guessing TB has their own contract issues coming up with Stamkos as a UFA, Namestnikov, and Kucherov getting big raises, and Killorn needing a contract. He also needs to leave some room for Hedman after next season. I haven't done much more analysis than that though.

A potential UFA could work if they planned on re-signing him, possibly sending Carle packing back, and maybe don't plan on signing Coburn. But it would have to part of a larger plan IMO.

Anyway, from the Bolts perspective I would imagine if the reports are true they might target the same players that reportedly the Islanders were; Myers and Trouba. I wouldn't do either from the Jets side, but I could see them wanting one of those guys.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Drouin probably has more potential no?

No. Just about even. No question marks attached to Ehlers. Great kid. Great attitude. Seems highly coachable. If I had to bet on who would be ahead 5 years from now I would pick Ehlers.

No way I trade them straight up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps Burmistrov, Postma, and a 3rd for Drouin?

Not even close. TB is going to get a lot for Drouin. Not fringe players, castoffs, junk or low picks. Burmi, Postma and our probably high 1st is still not likely enough. Add Petan to that and they might think about it.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Not likely. Postma just needs to get in a game. Any game. He is probably butting into kids street hockey games. :laugh:

Probably right... but I can see a team coveting someone like Chariot as part of a trade package. Just maybe the Jets are preping Postma for a full time assignment.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
No. Just about even. No question marks attached to Ehlers. Great kid. Great attitude. Seems highly coachable. If I had to bet on who would be ahead 5 years from now I would pick Ehlers.

No way I trade them straight up.

Absolutely, ehlers is going nowhere in a trade, this year has been a good learning experience for him probably an eye opener but make no mistake about it the kid has talent.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably right... but I can see a team coveting someone like Chariot as part of a trade package. Just maybe the Jets are preping Postma for a full time assignment.

If it was Chiarot he would have to be about the 3rd player in the deal. Chiarot as the main piece isn't getting anything very exciting.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
hopefully.

TB stated to want cost controlled and be looking for RHD.

Would not be opposed to a Petan + Postma + something for drouin but i'd want the something to be small.

Hard to tell if Postma has any value. He's played well in the limited minutes given to him but spending almost the entire season as a PB guy makes it hard to know if he'd be given value at all

Petan + Postma + 2nd (or some other minor prospect) -- good with that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. Thinking something like Ladd, Petan, Chariot for Drouin and a cap dump player.

The cap dump might put that in the ballpark. It would give TB the cap to sign Stamkos. If Yzerman can't get Stamkos to sign he would have the option of keeping Ladd. Otherwise Ladd is a rental, Chiarot is a utility D man and Petan is a good prospect.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'd like to see a Morrissey-Postma pairing with Moose next couple weeks. Can easily see that as a 3rd D pair if Buff is gone next year.

Yep, that's where I see this going. Jets are adverse to trades & a 1-game conditioning assignment has never been their forte either. See if he & Morrissey can carry the ball next year -- I like that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Postma move is anything more than a conditioning stint it could involve Buff. But where and for who?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The cap dump might put that in the ballpark. It would give TB the cap to sign Stamkos. If Yzerman can't get Stamkos to sign he would have the option of keeping Ladd. Otherwise Ladd is a rental, Chiarot is a utility D man and Petan is a good prospect.

would YOU sign Stamkos to a $10-11 mil/year contract?
that scares the crap out of me unless you're predicting NBA-esque TV money coming in

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
If the Postma move is anything more than a conditioning stint it could involve Buff. But where and for who?

this isn't how the NHL works. it isn't that transparent and you don't tell a team "you know what? give me a week to get our guy conditioned!"

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
would YOU sign Stamkos to a $10-11 mil/year contract?
that scares the crap out of me unless you're predicting NBA-esque TV money coming in

Unless he has completely gone downhill (and I can't see it), how could you not entertain signing a 25 yr old scoring machine like Stamkos for 10 mil. We're prepared to give a 30 yr old Buff 8 mil, but we'd balk at 10 mil for Stamkos??

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting timing for the conditioning assignment. While I don't think anything is imminent on the trade front, you have to wonder how close we are to the organizations self imposed deadlines with regards to Buff and Ladd.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting timing for the conditioning assignment. While I don't think anything is imminent on the trade front, you have to wonder how close we are to the organizations self imposed deadlines with regards to Buff and Ladd.

Honestly, and I can say this with a very very high level of confidence.

"I have zero ****ing idea"!!

:laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some info from Chevy's interview....

"It's a process".... (ha ha)

Re: guys like Stemp and Tlusty, indicated that they were looking for opportunities to play higher in the line-up than they would with the Jets (i.e. didn't want to be bottom line players, and saw opportunities with NJD that the Jets couldn't offer them).

Refused to comment on what he'll do with Ladd and Buff (didn't expect anything else). Noted that all of the Jets' pro scouts are in town, planning for future decisions "at the NHL level".

Alluded to some of the future uncertainty in terms of future costs of players coming off ELCs (e.g. Scheif, Trouba, Hutch, Lowry).

Sounded like he wanted to keep Scheif and Trouba for the long-term, but not clear whether it would include an initial "bridge" deal. That's subject to negotiation.

Has Hellebuyck won a permanent NHL job? Really hard to tell. I don't think it's a given that he won't go back to the Moose, depending on his performance.

Long-range planning is complicated (duh).

"The game is getting younger" (note: Ladd and Buff are not).

Didn't learn a thing from the interview, which is almost certainly Chevy's objective.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
this isn't how the NHL works. it isn't that transparent and you don't tell a team "you know what? give me a week to get our guy conditioned!"

Who said anything about a week? Maybe they want Postma to play next game, or the one after. Nothing is transparent about it. We are all speculating all over the map. That isn't transparent.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Still think Buff makes more sense for TB than Ladd.

Buff, Petan, 2017 second(turns into a third if Buff resigns in Tampa), can add another pick (not a first or second)

2016 1st - Drouin - Carle cap dump.

Buff >>>>>>> 1st,

Differnece of Buff vs 1st + Petan + second rounder + a camp dump = Drouin.

TB is going to likely want a blue chip prospect+ though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad