Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1984037

Some posts from the last thread:

Can anyone think of analogous situation where a team traded a young #1 C with "issues"?

I can think of Thorton and Seguin both out of Boston.

In both situations the acquiring team would redo the trade 100 out of 100 times.

Is there an analogous trade that DIDN'T work out for the acquirey?

Not sure if it applies, and it's interesting that it's the Jackets, but Carter wasn't that old when they traded a whole lot of value (Voracek and a 1st (Couts) for him.

He pouted his way out of Columbus and while they turned him into JJ and a 1st, I think the Jackets would probably prefer Voracek and Couts instead.

Center? Not sure.

Forward, exhibit A: Phil Kessel. Not sure if the Leafs would do that again. Think they would take Seguin and Hamilton.

Edit: would ROR be considered a #1 C? Likely not. Though he's paid like one. Kyle Turris? Not a #1 at time of trade. There's very very few if any #1 C's traded until they age.

Eric Lindros? Wasn't ever going to play for Nordiques.

Is the kessel deal analogous? I don't think anyone saw that toronto team bottoming out that hard, but i guess that's not bad.

i'd say statically ROR is probably a 1c. I don't think you can say that was a bad deal for buffalo yet.

Turris: think of the what ottawa gave up for turris, absolutely they do that trade again and again.

Lindros: not really analogous and also a long long long long time ago, lets try to keep it to at least a relatively modern era.

ill say our best bets for a 1c is staal, we have the prospects to give and would not potentially impact our team unless that prospect is jesus

This has been touched on later on in this thread but if we traded Engstrom we would need a LHD coming back. Unless one of our RHD switches sides we would have Stuart as our number 1 LHD.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Just speculating but we already heard that we might be making Enstrom available for the right price while also searching for a top 6 F. Just recently heard Enstrom's name come up again with the Penguins having apparently kicked tires on him.

Trouba's been moved over to the left side and if that's a success going forward that WOULD make the blow of trading Enstrom a little less painful. Still slightly a head scratcher though as Stuart goes back to the top 4 again and we'd once again need a legit top 4 LD to bump him down..

But yeah just thinking out loud if they're testing out Trouba there so they can feel more comfortable moving Enstrom for whatever reasons they may have deemed him expendable to begin with.

Hmm..

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Toby may be the first one moved, but it would be to free up cap space to sign Buff and Ladd, Imo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/12/19/blue-jackets-1219.html

Q: Ryan Johansen’s name has been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately. What’s the situation as you see it?
A: The situation is we’re in a position where we’re trying to upgrade our team. If we can make a deal — I don’t care who it is — we’re sitting at the bottom of the heap right now. Unless the contract stipulates otherwise, everybody’s tradable. That’s hockey. It could be Joey, or it could be anybody else. If we feel it’s the right deal, we make the deal.
Q: But to Johansen, specifically …
A: Look, here’s how it works. When Joey’s not playing as well as we’ve seen him play in the past, or when Joey is benched, people phone us. That’s what happens. You always answer the phone; that’s our job. And if something makes sense, no matter who it is … I’m not going to point just at Joey. This goes for anybody right now: If it makes sense, we’ll do it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope we keep Toby and trade Ladd. We'll regret doing the opposite I think.

I can't see us moving Enstrom at this point. It would leave too bis a hole on the left side with no one ready to fill it. Ladd on the other hand should be moved. While he can still be an effective player it is getting pretty obvious he has plateaued. Coming anywhere near his asking price you are paying for past performance and the impact moving him would have on his buddies that are still impact players. If you were paying for current performance alone 4 years X $5 M would be approx value IMO.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Columbus is interesting for a larger trade with the players they have in the A. Milano, Bjork, Heatherington, and a few others.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On that Turris trade: at the time Rundblad was a killer prospect. Had dominated the Swedish Elite League and Sens fans were dreaming of teaming him with Karlsson. Trade kinda blindsided us (before the Jets I was a big time Sens fan). Obviously it worked out but the modern equivalent would be trading your best defensive prospect.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought we'd covered that NMC bit repeatedly in the past, not to mention there is NO ONE on the left side to replace Toby if we were to get him to lift his NMC.

This trade for trade sakes idea is bananas...10,000lbs of bananas.

Agreed. Even moving Trouba to the left does not make Toby expendable. That just fills the black hole that existed behind Toby. If we move Trouba AND get another top 4 LHD it becomes a different story. Maybe.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I thought we'd covered that NMC bit repeatedly in the past, not to mention there is NO ONE on the left side to replace Toby if we were to get him to lift his NMC.

This trade for trade sakes idea is bananas...10,000lbs of bananas.

I agree. I would rather they not move Toby.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Man every proposal I see involving the Jets people seem to want to give up Myers.

He's not nearly there yet but some of the glimpses of what he can do make me very excited. I feel like he could have Buff offensive impact whilst having a bit more defensive awareness.

Again, he's not nearly there yet but I do not want to give up on him yet. I really like his skillset.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Man every proposal I see involving the Jets people seem to want to give up Myers.

He's not nearly there yet but some of the glimpses of what he can do make me very excited. I feel like he could have Buff offensive impact whilst having a bit more defensive awareness.

Again, he's not nearly there yet but I do not want to give up on him yet. I really like his skillset.

Yeah, he's had an up and down type of year but looks to be playing much better hockey right now. He's pulled his possession numbers up and is on pace for just shy of 30 points. I definitely see his potential and why the org likes him. He's a tremendous skater and puck rusher for his size. He's got terrific reach and generally is in good position to break up plays. I have also seen improvements in his dzone play. I think at times its easy to forget he hasn't even been here a year yet and that changing/improving a players game can take time.

I am only really interested in dealing him for an impact type player i.e Johansen provided they elect to keep Buff.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
On that Turris trade: at the time Rundblad was a killer prospect. Had dominated the Swedish Elite League and Sens fans were dreaming of teaming him with Karlsson. Trade kinda blindsided us (before the Jets I was a big time Sens fan). Obviously it worked out but the modern equivalent would be trading your best defensive prospect.

Gotta give St. Louis props for moving Rundblad a year after drafting him. They identified a player in the 2010 draft they liked more (Tarasenko) and took action.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
we should trade toby for harmonic and go with 4 RHD in the top four, because....wine.

Jets need to go REALLY bold and put 2 RHD's at the same time. As in, 2 guys on the right side at the same time...nobody on the left.:sarcasm:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Myers has neither the O acumen nor the D that Buff has, quit kidding yourself. Buff is the best D man on the team and Myers ranks 3rd.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Buff is not great defensively, but is great offensively.

Teams want offensive Buff, but not defensive Buff. Myers is not as good offensively, obviously, but is a bit better defensively, IMO. But Myers isn't rock solid defensively either. Team desperately needs a guy like Hamonic, IMO. And I would give up offense from the d (Buff, Myers) to get him. Isles may not want that, so here we sit.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

How long do you wait? He's in his 7th season. When does the switch flip?

I doubt we'd get value back without adding significant prospects as Buffalo did. His value isn't increasing, and is really vested in his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad