Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It has a lot to do with it in the sense that I was speaking to the oft offered Myers in trade proposals. That is what started that particular line of discussion.

As for people knowing what I think about Byfuglien -- great. We all know a lot about all of us regulars opinions on lots of things. Should we just stop talking about them?

PS if you really knew what I thought of Buff you'd notice my overall opinion of him is certainly not static. I have moved off my initial feelings of him quite a bit, and that has a lot to do with the work he has done to improve some of his shortcomings and a lot of the opinons of posters here which I respect greatly. I consider being here a learning opportunity, so even if I don't necessarily agree with someones point, I'll listen.

I'm not interested in this 'in sum' statement. His offensive prowess can add up to a net gain to the team on a night to night basis. I understand that and appreciate that. However, situationally, Buff needs to stop being selfish and know that at certain times of the game, you need to worry about your own damned end and put that effort into preventing goals. How many times to we blow games that we have a lead in? We should be able to put the guy many claim to be our best defenseman out there and feel confident that he is going to play the way he needs to to close out the game. This is the part of Byfuglien's game that is most sadly lacking IMO.

Yes, we should trade Buff for Hamonic, though I understand that NYI would have no interest in that. Specifically, Myers for Hamonic might be a good trade for both teams. However, back to my original post that started all of this, I see Myers as someone many are almost nonchalant in offering up in a deal -- all I was saying is I think that there is still the promise of something greater there and we might be giving up a pretty great defenseman if we trade him now.

Finally, I also agree that Buff is a perfect player for a team like New York. They are close to challenging and a guy like Buff could put them over the top. Trading cost controlled players for UFAs is never palatable - which is why I wish we could work out a sign and trade (but why would Buff do that?)

Well, when it comes to Hamonic specifically, I think we've pretty much accepted that it's either not going to happen, or will have to be a 3 way deal, which is near impossible in the NHL today.

Back to Myers, I've just noticed that he's been offered up in several different deals. It makes sense in the respect that he has good value and you have to give to get. I just worry that he is going to become more than he is and we will kick ourselves.

Then again, I thought Bogosian was going to win the Norris so what the hell do I know :laugh:

The 'in sum' comment was meant to be averaging his good games with his bad more than balancing his offense and defense. In his best games or even just his better games he is almost the ultimate defenseman - both ways. I wish we saw more of those. I really do think he would win the Norris. What it seems to me though is that what has happened is that his worst games have dropped off. We are seeing more of the good and about the same of the better. Maybe a little less of the best but you can't have everything. I don't think we have had a bad game from him this year. There might be 1 or 2 periods if any.

I'm wondering if something might happen with Hamonic in the off-season? If we have signed Buff he probably has a NMC. If we have signed him I don't know if we still want to trade him. OTOH he is worth more than Hamonic if he is signed, IMO. So who can guess how that might play out? If Buff is signed it becomes a little easier to part with Myers. Is Snow then interested in him? It could be that Snow comes hat in hand in the off-season and we turn him down. An off-season deal might have a better chance of developing into a block-buster deal involving Hamonic and (probably) Myers plus other parts.

Edit:I really don't think there is going to be any huge change in Myers. I hope he recovers more of his offense (signs are encouraging there) and there might be some of the normal experience dividend but that is about it. He should be very near his peak now.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
When Myers broke up that Rangers two on one coming out of the penalty box was that a great play by Myers or a bad play by the Ranger? That should have been a break-away except for Myers. So at least Myers is not sleeping on the job.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When Myers broke up that Rangers two on one coming out of the penalty box was that a great play by Myers or a bad play by the Ranger? That should have been a break-away except for Myers. So at least Myers is not sleeping on the job.

Myers is a very good player. I think that playing in Buffalo might have damaged his reputation more than it hurt his development. While I am quite willing to trade him we should not be underselling him.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Buff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Myers>Bogo.

I think Hamonic is more of "grass is greener on the other side" kind of deal. He might be a slight upgrade on Myers but is no way near the player Buff is (assuming Buff is signed)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He is a top pairing D man.
He's an elite scoring D man.
He is a strong possesion player.

These are facts, not an over-rating.

Let's see how much 'in demand' Buff really is. Either in trade or FA contract talks.

A true elite player does not have the questions and uncertainty Buff has in his game. He was such a good dman, he was moved to forward.

Watch him closely in his zone. His positional play. It's not pretty most of the time.

Lomac

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg
Teams would love to get Buff and if he leaves as a FA he will easily get a big money 7 year contract from some sucker.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Let's see how much 'in demand' Buff really is. Either in trade or FA contract talks.

A true elite player does not have the questions and uncertainty Buff has in his game. He was such a good dman, he was moved to forward.

Watch him closely in his zone. His positional play. It's not pretty most of the time.

Defensemen play hockey in all three zones.

There are a large volume of plays that Byfuglien makes - in the neutral and offensive zones - that help the Jets keep or take possession of the puck. These are what lead to a net plus.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

I'll go out on a whim and say he'll be in high demand.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
One guy I would love to see us kick tires on is Jakob Silfverberg. He's having a horrendous season points-wise but his underlying stats are good and it appears he's the victim of poor puck luck. He's the whipping boy in Anaheim right now, if Chevy could swing a trade for him I'd be impressed. I'd like something around Burmi+ but would be willing to consider giving up Ladd provided Anaheim adds something.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
One guy I would love to see us kick tires on is Jakob Silfverberg. He's having a horrendous season points-wise but his underlying stats are good and it appears he's the victim of poor puck luck. He's the whipping boy in Anaheim right now, if Chevy could swing a trade for him I'd be impressed. I'd like something around Burmi+ but would be willing to consider giving up Ladd provided Anaheim adds something.

That would be an interesting deal. I mean, Anaheim gave us the Kesler deal, so they deserve the Ladd consequences.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Defensemen play hockey in all three zones.

There are a large volume of plays that Byfuglien makes - in the neutral and offensive zones - that help the Jets keep or take possession of the puck. These are what lead to a net plus.

I agree. Tell that to Buff. :sarcasm:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

I would love to get Silfverberg. Don't want to give up Ladd or Burmi though.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
They just resigned Silvferberg last year to a pretty damn reasonable deal. Boudreau will get **** canned before they trade anyone good having a bad year.

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut
La Presse stated that the Habs might be interested in Ladd. Who would you like to see as the return? Maybe Ladd for Eller?

Then trade Little for Bœdker + LD Prospect and establish the 'Danish Dynamite ' Line. Given that we can resign Bœdker.

Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Bœdker - Eller - Ehlers
Armia - Burmistrov - Stafford
Thorburn - Copp - Halischuk

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
La Presse stated that the Habs might be interested in Ladd. Who would you like to see as the return? Maybe Ladd for Eller?

Then trade Little for BÅ“dker + LD Prospect and establish the 'Danish Dynamite ' Line. Given that we can resign BÅ“dker.

BÅ“dker - Eller - Ehlers

Both of these deals are awful

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Then trade Little for BÅ“dker + LD Prospect and establish the 'Danish Dynamite ' Line. Given that we can resign BÅ“dker.

BÅ“dker - Eller - Ehlers

I wouldn't do either, especially Little for Boedker (and I'd like to see us take a stab at Boedker as a FA).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

BÅ“dker - Eller - Ehlers

Why would we move Little? The only way he is moved ever would have to be in a package for a much better player. Little is a low end 1st line center with an extremely friendly cap hit.

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut
Dont take this too serious. I was just trying to get an all Danish line ;).

But what about my question? Would you trade Ladd to MTL and if so what should the return look like?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Your opinion of Buff is well known. He is not as good defensively as he could/should be. His effort is not as consistent as it could/should be. In spite of the above he is still very good both offensively and defensively in sum.

Myers is probably not at his peak but he is probably very close to it. The chances of him ever matching Buff on either offense or defense are slim IMO. 3 years from now when they are 33 and 28 Buff is still probably better than Myers.

None of that has anything to do with the trade suggestions you are talking about. This starts with Hamonic. I think it is clear that the consensus here is that we should trade Buff for Hamonic. We are told that Snow won't even consider that, presumably because of Buff's contract status.

Personally I think Snow would be nuts to turn down Buff for Hamonic. He has the team to go all the way with the addition of an impact player like Buff. He should take him with the intention to sign him. If we dig in our heels a bit he should add to Hamonic to get him. Buff should be worth more to NYI than he is to us because they have got a team that is within a hair's breadth of being a real contender. But that is just my opinion. It obviously differs from both yours and Snow's.

Isles show zero interest in giving 31 yr old Big Buff a huge, longterm contract.
Press says Boychuk left ufa $ on the table to stay on LI.

And from what has been reported about impending ufas Okposo/Nielsen, it sounds like the isles will not outbid other teams. They will have to sign deals that fit into the nyi budget, if they want to stay. I expect Nielsen will, but Okposo won't.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

But what about my question? Would you trade Ladd to MTL and if so what should the return look like?

I'd move Ladd to the Habs, he'd likely be a nice fit there.

McCarron would be the prize, but I'm guessing he's not available.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He should look like Mark Stuart but be good at hockey. We could pull a switch. PMo would never have to know. ;)

Edit:Seriously I want Nathan Beaulieu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad