Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Repeating what I posted on the trade board: The only top 6 position that really makes sense is LW. It would allow Perreault to drop down to the third line, and perhaps gives the Jets some security in case they decide to deal Ladd.

The talks of Enstrom being traded are strange to say the least. I'm not sure who moves over to the left side and manages to flourish.

Yes, unless somebody decides to give us a 1C.

So who's the top6 LW?

Rentals don't make sense.
30+yo players don't make sense.
Pacioretty, Landeskog, Hall, Huberdeau, Drouin etc won't be traded for Enstrom.

Who's left, who even fits the criteria?

Carl Hagelin - meh
Brad Marchand - doubt he's available
Tyler Ennis - too small to play in the NHL :sarcasm: would be an amazing trolljob on WPG Sun readers, trade the tiny Swede for the tiny Edmontonian
Jordan Staal - dat contract though
Nick Foligno - actually plays center now, ...?
Tomas Tatar - that would be nice
Chris Kreider - doubt he's available
Mike Hoffman - could be interesting, went through arbitration last year, OTT really needs good defensemen, they only have two and a half (Enstrom <-> Hoffman + Wiercioch, something around that ?!)
Michael Raffl - somebody would have brought him up anyway
Brayden Schenn - but he wants to play center!
James van Riemsdyk - you just know some Leafs fan will bring him up on the trade boards (context will likely be: "JVR for 1st, Roslovic, Enstrom (cap dump)")
Marcus Johansson - that would be a possibility, but Caps really don't need another expensive top4D.

That's all I got...

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
You trade Enstrom now like you should have done with Byfuglien/Ladd over a year ago.

Tobi will never be part of a contender here. The timeline doesn't match up. Our futures are going to need all the help they can get or this mediocrity will stretch well over a decade.

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
We're building around a "future #1C" who is averaging less than .5 PPG five years post draft, a "#1D" whose production has regressed 2 years in a row.

Alex Burmistrov is our future 1C?!

Ok, we're in trouble then.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
You trade Enstrom now like you should have done with Byfuglien/Ladd over a year ago.

Tobi will never be part of a contender here. The timeline doesn't match up. Our futures are going to need all the help they can get or this mediocrity will stretch well over a decade.

Who is going to play LHD? What about the fact that you would need to get him to lift his NMC?
So we have almost no strength in that deal, and we are selling low and then buying high....another LHD? A LW so we can have a gaping hole on the left side D?
I don't understand how that would be a net gain to us in any way, shape or form.
Maybe we could throw Morrissey into the trade too! :sarcasm:

Toby a top pairing LHD for many a club, and if we traded him and failed to sign Buff...
:facepalm:

Oh, and if we won 2 of those 4 on the road...we would pretty much be sitting content....2 games....that's it. We're just on the outside looking in. A week ago...

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, unless somebody decides to give us a 1C.

So who's the top6 LW?

Rentals don't make sense.
30+yo players don't make sense.
Pacioretty, Landeskog, Hall, Huberdeau, Drouin etc won't be traded for Enstrom.

Who's left, who even fits the criteria?

Carl Hagelin - meh
Brad Marchand - doubt he's available
Tyler Ennis - too small to play in the NHL :sarcasm: would be an amazing trolljob on WPG Sun readers, trade the tiny Swede for the tiny Edmontonian
Jordan Staal - dat contract though
Nick Foligno - actually plays center now, ...?
Tomas Tatar - that would be nice
Chris Kreider - doubt he's available
Mike Hoffman - could be interesting, went through arbitration last year, OTT really needs good defensemen, they only have two and a half (Enstrom <-> Hoffman + Wiercioch, something around that ?!)
Michael Raffl - somebody would have brought him up anyway
Brayden Schenn - but he wants to play center!
James van Riemsdyk - you just know some Leafs fan will bring him up on the trade boards (context will likely be: "JVR for 1st, Roslovic, Enstrom (cap dump)")
Marcus Johansson - that would be a possibility, but Caps really don't need another expensive top4D.

That's all I got...

With Toby's declining production, injuries, small size, age.....I'm not certain we would ever get a young or good top 6 forward with term straight up. We're going to get one of similar age, weak defensive play or short term, etc. Unless we add a + onto Toby.....then maybe we get a youngish, good top 6 with some term. Maybe

If, big if, Chevy has another deal lined up to upgrade over Toby....then I'm ok trading Toby. But not if he doesn't have a back up plan to replace him. Nothing we have now can replace Toby.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
That hardly solves the problem. With Enstrom we are light 1 top 4 LHD. Move Enstrom and move a righty over we are still short one. Move Enstrom for a top 6 F? Who is this forward going to replace, Ehlers?

Now if Ladd were moved for a top 4 LHD moving Enstrom for a top 6 LW might make sense. Can't see that happening though.

LOL. This board continues to overrate the miniature d-man. If the Jets really are looking to move him, then they don't rate him to be as nearly as irreplaceable as do an apparent majority of fans here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I'm not against trading Enstrom, but if they do it had better be for a top 4 LHD. Otherwise we are in the **** big time.

People keep saying "move someone over move someone over". If that was a realistic possibility it would have been done EONS ago. Obviously none of Trouba, Buff or Myers feel comfortable on the other side. You would not have your 3 of your best 4 defensemen on one side if you could avoid it. Then again, this org things Stuart is a top 4 option so who knows?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm not against trading Enstrom, but if they do it had better be for a top 4 LHD. Otherwise we are in the **** big time.

People keep saying "move someone over move someone over". If that was a realistic possibility it would have been done EONS ago. Obviously none of Trouba, Buff or Myers feel comfortable on the other side. You would not have your 3 of your best 4 defensemen on one side if you could avoid it. Then again, this org things Stuart is a top 4 option so who knows?

This...is true

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am for it if the return is Duchene.

Tough sell otherwise.

Agreed, a young legit number one center is a key piece that I would deal a package around Enstrom for, otherwise I'm not at all interested.

There would have to be something else in the works for a LHD that could replace some of his minutes though.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

While I agree that Toby isn't the ideal age for this core, the Jets will need some quality vets on the blue line when they do turn the corner.

The Pens won the cups with key players at the following ages:
Crosby 21
Malkin 22
Staal 19
Letang 21
Kennedy 22

Bruins:
Lucic 22
Marchand 22
Seguin 18
McQuaid 23
Krejci 24 and Bergeron 25 were older dudes.

Hawks first cup:
Kane 20
Toews 21
Versteeg 23
Ladd 23
Hjalmarsson 22

Kings first cup:
Doughty 21
Voynov 21
King 22
Nolan 22
Kopitar was an old guy at 24

Hawks 2nd cup:
Saad 19
Leddy 21
Kruger 22
Shaw 21
Kane 23
Old man Toews at 24

King's Second Cup:
Doughty 23
Voynov 23
Taffoli 21
Pearson 21
Klifford 22
King and Muzzin at 24
Old man Kopi at 26

Hawks 3rd cup:
Saad 21
Shaw 23
Teuvo 19
Old men Kane and Toews 25 and 26

Every team but the most recent Hawks has been largely carried by youth.

If the Jets are as hot **** at drafting as people want to believe, these things can turn around quickly and a team needs quality vets to surround to talented youth.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm not claiming that, I'm just trying list possibilities why the Jets might want to do it. I'm not advocating it, unless they have a second deal lined up already for an upgrade over Toby. Maybe they see his size as a problem or believe his point production decline is a sign of bigger issues. Not sure

I'm not saying that you're claiming that. I get what you're saying. I'm saying that that is not very likely to be their thinking(god I hope not. It's honestly ridiculous). I think "Whileee" somewhere posted a scenario that would make the most sense. Trading Ladd for LD and Toby for LW.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm not saying that you're claiming that. I get what you're saying. I'm saying that that is not very likely to be their thinking(god I hope not. It's honestly ridiculous). I think "Whileee" somewhere posted a scenario that would make the most sense. Trading Ladd for LD and Toby for LW.

Yes that's what I think also or something close.

I don't hate that idea, as long as it's upgrades. I swear Chevy is so tight he poops diamonds. Make a move if it helps the team, we don't need to keep all prospects and picks to be a D&D team. Loosen the purse strings a little.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
BobbyMc says we're looking for a top6 forward.

And that guy is much more reliable than the Dredger.

Did his wife also specify that Enstrom was involved? If so there has to be more because we don't have enough top 4 LHD to start with. Enstrom + Little for Duchene? Ladd + for Fowler (or similar)? That still leaves us down 1st line LW. Buff for that? Runaway freight train here! :laugh: :) One thing leads to another.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Did his wife also specify that Enstrom was involved? If so there has to be more because we don't have enough top 4 LHD to start with. Enstrom + Little for Duchene? Ladd + for Fowler (or similar)? That still leaves us down 1st line LW. Buff for that? Runaway freight train here! :laugh: :) One thing leads to another.

Do you think Anaheim would ever do Ladd for Fowler straight up?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Simply trading Toby for a top 6 forward doesn't make sense. At all. There has to be more pieces to this puzzle. Maybe he's working on a larger trade for a better LHD than Toby. But I doubt that highly.

The whole Toby trade thought experiment feels so wrong on so many levels. Mark Stuart playing 25 minutes a night screams rebuild. Yet I don't see a rebuild happening after 5-6 bad games.

Have to second this. It takes multiple trades to make this work and we don't have any top 6 problems. There is no hole to fill unless someone else is traded.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would hope they wouldn't have to give up Enstrom and Little. That would be a huge price to pay

Toby and Burmi or Lowry and a pick or prospect would be a much better starting point. This move is supposed to be about another re-boot for the Avs. They'd probably favor youth anyways.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Have to second this. It takes multiple trades to make this work and we don't have ant top 6 problems. There is no hole to fill unless someone else is traded.

Perreault and Frolik were 3rd liners for stretches on this team last year. Adding a top 6 forward would likely push MP or Ehlers down a line and give the team similar depth to last year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
While I agree that Toby isn't the ideal age for this core, the Jets will need some quality vets on the blue line when they do turn the corner.

The Pens won the cups with key players at the following ages:
Crosby 21
Malkin 22
Staal 19
Letang 21
Kennedy 22

Bruins:
Lucic 22
Marchand 22
Seguin 18
McQuaid 23
Krejci 24 and Bergeron 25 were older dudes.

Hawks first cup:
Kane 20
Toews 21
Versteeg 23
Ladd 23
Hjalmarsson 22

Kings first cup:
Doughty 21
Voynov 21
King 22
Nolan 22
Kopitar was an old guy at 24

Hawks 2nd cup:
Saad 19
Leddy 21
Kruger 22
Shaw 21
Kane 23
Old man Toews at 24

King's Second Cup:
Doughty 23
Voynov 23
Taffoli 21
Pearson 21
Klifford 22
King and Muzzin at 24
Old man Kopi at 26

Hawks 3rd cup:
Saad 21
Shaw 23
Teuvo 19
Old men Kane and Toews 25 and 26

Every team but the most recent Hawks has been largely carried by youth.

If the Jets are as hot **** at drafting as people want to believe, these things can turn around quickly and a team needs quality vets to surround to talented youth.

I like this post. And I like that there is at least a rumour that Chevy is trying to do something. Time to go young, that is where our future is.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I'm sure it has been discussed but I must of missed it:

If Enstrom is dealt for a forward and no D in return, could J-Mo step up on the left side? Even if just for a few games?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I like this post. And I like that there is at least a rumour that Chevy is trying to do something. Time to go young, that is where our future is.

That isn't at all what I was saying nor did it support a full on youth movement. The point was that the young players will need veteran support when they enter the league.

If the driving forces of the Jets' future success are already with the organization, they will probably need that support within three or four years. If they don't have quality veteran support when the team needs it, things can get messy - perhaps Oilers or Avs messy.

I am fine with a youth movement, within reason, but moving out too much veteran depth or taking a huge step in that direction could mean we are waiting on more new blood. It could mean that the winning talent isn't here yet and we are watching a team that more than 3 or 4 away from contending.

Do the Jets have a future stud two-way center along the lines of Crosby, Bergeron, Toews or Kopitar? Do they have a Keith, Doughty or Chara? Not yet - or at least we can't be sure that they do.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
1) Maybe Jets see Toby as a problem, one way or another. Plausible

I agree...its possible they are worried less about which way he shoots and more about the fact that he is a high cost player who is not performing.

Maybe it means they are serious about trying to sign byfuglien....if not being able to afford his salary is an issue, ejecting the most overpaid player on the team goes a long way in fixing that. To me, what he brings could be replaced at a third his cost....

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm sure it has been discussed but I must of missed it:

If Enstrom is dealt for a forward and no D in return, could J-Mo step up on the left side? Even if just for a few games?

The only thing holding Morrissey back at this point is the 23 man roster limit and himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad