Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Nill picked up a top six forward for basically nothing. We could have been in on that just as easily. An energy forward in Garbutt and Daley. Sharp's contract isn't a bad one either, it was a cap crunch move.

Maybe what the Hawks asked for wasn't a good fit for us to give up, but Sharp is about as good as you can ask for in a 2nd line winger.

Maybe Ehlers isn't struggling so bad if he has Perreault as the 3rd line LW instead of Thorburn...

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Nill picked up a top six forward for basically nothing. We could have been in on that just as easily. An energy forward in Garbutt and Daley. Sharp's contract isn't a bad one either, it was a cap crunch move.

Maybe what the Hawks asked for wasn't a good fit for us to give up, but Sharp is about as good as you can ask for in a 2nd line winger.

Maybe Ehlers isn't struggling so bad if he has Perreault as the 3rd line LW instead of Thorburn...

Ehhh. I dunno. Sharp had a pretty crappy year last year.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Ehhh. I dunno. Sharp had a pretty crappy year last year.

Sharp's crappy year last season still produced 43 points in 68 games and 15 pts in 23 playoff games. Those are easily top-6 numbers on pretty well any team. He is also considered an excellent two-way forward and prior to last season was a mainstay on the NHL top-50 list - voted on by coaches - for several seasons. This year he is on pace for 55-60 points and 25 goals. Nill stole him from Chicago.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
The X number of scouts at a game almost never means anything. It's interesting and fun to speculate but 9/10 it never materializes into anything.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Chicago willingly gave Sharp away. I mean, why not when he is not producing that much(at least with Chicago) and they can pick up a guy like Panarin and keep an ageless wonder like Hossa? The difference in cap is huge for them. I don't think they're gonna miss a step at all when they can swap someone who's 9 years younger and producing more with their team.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Chicago willingly gave Sharp away. I mean, why not when he is not producing that much(at least with Chicago) and they can pick up a guy like Panarin and keep an ageless wonder like Hossa? The difference in cap is huge for them. I don't think they're gonna miss a step at all when they can swap someone who's 9 years younger and producing more with their team.

If they "gave him way" (and I don't disagree), why were we not in on it?

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Exactly, Nill has repeatedly shown the ability to turn nothing into to something. As a GM he's in a league of his own.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just talking to people at the game last night and just spit-balling, but something the Jets are lacking that people would like to see... a Named Player. Someone who is a superstar, someone who stands out.

The Jets currently have something like $11,604,166 in cap space.

Ladd ( $4,400,000 )
Buff ( $5,200,000 )
Pavs ( $3,900,000 ) - buy him out if you can't trade him
-------------------

$25,104,000 ~ in cap space

- we need to sign Trouba, Scheifele, Lowry, Armia, Hutchinson. Do all that and you are still going to have something like $10,000,000 or more burning a hole in your pocket.

Stamkos...... make it happen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just talking to people at the game last night and just spit-balling, but something the Jets are lacking that people would like to see... a Named Player. Someone who is a superstar, someone who stands out.

The Jets currently have something like $11,604,166 in cap space.

Ladd ( $4,400,000 )
Buff ( $5,200,000 )
Pavs ( $3,900,000 ) - buy him out if you can't trade him
-------------------

$25,104,000 ~ in cap space

- we need to sign Trouba, Scheifele, Lowry, Armia, Hutchinson. Do all that and you are still going to have something like $10,000,000 or more burning a hole in your pocket.

Stamkos...... make it happen.

Would I trade Ladd and Buff for Stamkos? In a heartbeat.

Will Stamkos sign with Winnipeg? Not in a million years.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Would I trade Ladd and Buff for Stamkos? In a heartbeat.

Will Stamkos sign with Winnipeg? Not in a million years.

Wasn't so much thinking about a trade for him, but get him as a UFA.

I'm not sure. If Stamkos gets to UFA status next July 1 , which I'm not sure will even happen, but if he did, and the Jets ended up being the top bidding team because of all the cap space we have, why wouldn't he come here? The whole reason that players want to play the UFA card is to get that big final pay day of their careers. If it just happens to be Winnipeg, will a player say no to the money?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I'm not sure. If Stamkos gets to UFA status next July 1 , which I'm not sure will even happen, but if he did, and the Jets ended up being the top bidding team because of all the cap space we have, why wouldn't he come here? The whole reason that players want to play the UFA card is to get that big final pay day of their careers. If it just happens to be Winnipeg, will a player say no to the money?

Because Toronto is going to offer something similar and he'll go there.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the cap does not go up the max salary next year is $14.2M. At 74.5 the max will be $14.9M Stamkos contract will have to start with max salary just like Toews and Kane are making 13.8 this year.

Are we going to do something like that? Because it will probably take that to get him here. Even if we are why not wait until July1?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Because Toronto is going to offer something similar and he'll go there.

Why? Because he has a better chance of winning? :laugh:

The Leafs currently have $6,895,000 in cap space and have 7 active RFAs ( like Kadri and Rielly ) and a handful of UFAs as well that aren't going to be cheap to sign.

If the Jets can outbid Toronto, I say the player goes where he gets more money and a better chance of winning. Not saying it will happen, and yeah maybe it's a dream, but just because a player may want to go somewhere doesn't mean the team has the money to fit him in.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Yeah, lose out on two firsts and prospects for what, 4 months of Stamkos?

Pass.

I wasn't thinking of trading Ladd/Buff for Stamkos. Trade them for picks/prospects and then use the cap space to sign Stamkos as a UFA. That would be nice, but there's no way Stamkos signs with Winnipeg if the becomes a UFA.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I wasn't thinking of trading Ladd/Buff for Stamkos. Trade them for picks/prospects and then use the cap space to sign Stamkos as a UFA. That would be nice, but there's no way Stamkos signs with Winnipeg if the becomes a UFA.

And to me that's what makes it interesting. Because of the cap and what teams have in the way of players they may want to keep and re-sign... how many of the 30 teams would actually have the cap space to sign Stamkos after July 1 2016?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And to me that's what makes it interesting. Because of the cap and what teams have in the way of players they may want to keep and re-sign... how many of the 30 teams would actually have the cap space to sign Stamkos after July 1 2016?

Several teams could make $11 million in cap space, including a few in Canada...

Habs (drop Desharnais, Eller, Kassian, Gilbert = $11.5M)
Leafs (drop Matthias, Grabner, Spaling = $7.5M to add to their $6.5M in cap space)
Flames (drop Hudler, Jones, Hiller = $12.5M)

Sens could also probably clear the space.

Of course, each of those teams would run into some problems signing some other key players, but if they are motivated they'll do it. It's not often a 26 year old franchise player comes on the UFA market, if ever.

I just don't think that Stamkos would see Winnipeg as a fit, and I sort of doubt that the Jets would put that much salary into one player.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stammer won't sign in Winnipeg no matter how much they offer. I just don't see it. He'll go to the Leafs or a contender. We are neither of those things right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad