Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I agree. I could see avoiding Seguin because of concerns about off-ice issues and maturity.

The concerns with RyJo relate more to his on-ice play and his contract status. I think his approach and on-ice play could be addressed. Any team trading for him would need to have very good reason for confidence that they could sign him long-term.

I think Johansen's play/effort is a far bigger risk than Seguin's off-ice stuff was.

Regardless, he's a 23 year old #1 center and they come around for trade once every 5 or never years, so we should at least stick our toe in the water and see what it would take to get it done.

If Tyler Myers is the main piece going back, I wouldn't care if RyJo was stapled to the bench and only played 6 minutes of PP per night. A combo of Jack Johnson/Tyler Myers trying to decide which of them is going to inexplicably jump into the rush at the worst possible time? That would be a treat for the whole league.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Hunter- I agree he's a #1 center, but I don't think the gap between him and Scheif or Little is that big all things considered. But yea there is definite risk involved and somewhere along the line we HAVE to make a high risk/reward move. Can't always make the easy or safe move.

Considering Scheif's trajectory I think the 2 would have a healthy competition for #1. I don't think it should be conceded that RyJo would be first.

There are a lot of ifs with this proposal but it is very tempting. Certainly it should be explored but I would only be ready to go all in on this after those ifs have been examined and checked off satisfactorily. Truth is I suspect that the appearances of him being a problem player are probably correct. That is why he might be available. So it probably should be a pass.

If we are trading with CBJ we should be thinking of acquiring Werenski. We can dangle Roslovic to get it started.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Then how are you substituting Roslovic for a 2015 first round pick, considering that he was one? He probably meant 16 pick.

Wow, it is amazing how the printed word can be misunderstood. This is so easy and I thought it was obvious.

They want a 1st. I think they would be (even more) interested in a '15 1st than in a '16 first. Therefore I would substitute Roslovic. He has extra value for them which would make our bid better than some competing bid. Therefore we win the auction.

Also I'm thinking our '16 1st might be pretty high and therefore worth more to us to keep. We sit in a 7/8th place tie right now and we are sinking. If we made this trade we might make 1 or 2 more that would increase our lottery chances further. Not talking tank. Just moves that we should probably make anyway like trading Ladd.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trading Enstrom would certainly fuel the tank as Stuart would probably play even more...

As it stands now Stuart would be our top LHD. :amazed::eek::shakehead

Yea, seems a little odd, not sure why there are rumors of him being moved.

Unless he has asked for a trade I really don't get why he'd be moved.

As a Sens fan I'd be ecstatic if we could make a move for him (or any reasonable LD for that matter) since our defense right now is terribad outside of Methot-Karlsson.

Hard to believe we would contemplate this even if he has asked for a trade, which I think is pretty unlikely. Only if there was some other move to bring us a LHD and even then unlikely because we need at least 1 even with Toby. Left defense is the weakest area on the Jets and in the system.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Can anyone think of analogous situation where a team traded a young #1 C with "issues"?

I can think of Thorton and Seguin both out of Boston.

In both situations the acquiring team would redo the trade 100 out of 100 times.

Is there an analogous trade that DIDN'T work out for the acquirey?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Can anyone think of analogous situation where a team traded a young #1 C with "issues"?

In both situations the acquiring team would redo the trade 100 out of 100 times.

Not sure if it applies, and it's interesting that it's the Jackets, but Carter wasn't that old when they traded a whole lot of value (Voracek and a 1st (Couts) for him.

He pouted his way out of Columbus and while they turned him into JJ and a 1st, I think the Jackets would probably prefer Voracek and Couts instead.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Center? Not sure.

Forward, exhibit A: Phil Kessel. Not sure if the Leafs would do that again. Think they would take Seguin and Hamilton.

Edit: would ROR be considered a #1 C? Likely not. Though he's paid like one. Kyle Turris? Not a #1 at time of trade. There's very very few if any #1 C's traded until they age.

Eric Lindros? Wasn't ever going to play for Nordiques.

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Center? Not sure.

Forward, exhibit A: Phil Kessel. Not sure if the Leafs would do that again. Think they would take Seguin and Hamilton.

Edit: would ROR be considered a #1 C? Likely not. Though he's paid like one. Kyle Turris? Not a #1 at time of trade. There's very very few if any #1 C's traded until they age.

Eric Lindros? Wasn't ever going to play for Nordiques.

Is the kessel deal analogous? I don't think anyone saw that toronto team bottoming out that hard, but i guess that's not bad.

i'd say statically ROR is probably a 1c. I don't think you can say that was a bad deal for buffalo yet.

Turris: think of the what ottawa gave up for turris, absolutely they do that trade again and again.

Lindros: not really analogous and also a long long long long time ago, lets try to keep it to at least a relatively modern era.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
ill say our best bets for a 1c is staal, we have the prospects to give and would not potentially impact our team unless that prospect is jesus

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
This actually has nothing to do with Dredger's post more procrastinating studying and my hatred for Toby fuelled this (the rumour is just a coincidence in timing) buuuuttttttttt....

Looking at WSH they are probably thinner than us on the left side D and rumours are they are shopping Johannsen. I know we can't really afford to loose LHD, but be honest. We are no where close to a cup right now and are positioned quite well to take a quick step back this year, get a high lottery pick (pls be Chyrchun) and then next season be a growing season to get all our ducks in a row and then make a push 2017-18 and onwards.

Depending on who adds to a Enstrom --> Johannsen deal? Worth it?

Would love to be able to make this deal as well as the deal someone else proposed of Myers+Ladd+Roslovic for RyJo+Werenski+(something like 1st if Ladd resigns).

Resign Buff and ur top 9 F, top 4 D in 2 years:

Connor/Sheif/Ehlers
Johansen/RyJo/Wheeler
Perreault/Burmi/???
Werenski/Trouba
Chyrchun/Byfuglien

w/ Hellebuyck thats a core with some serious potential.

This has been touched on later on in this thread but if we traded Engstrom we would need a LHD coming back. Unless one of our RHD switches sides we would have Stuart as our number 1 LHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad