Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Which begs the question, why would we trade him in the first place? (I know you're not saying we should Mort, I'm just stating my opinion).

*raises the question

Begging the question is the fallacy of assuming your argument to be true in one of its premises

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I'll take Larsson and a second. What do you call a decent prospect?

I couldn't give you a specific example from other teams since I don't really keep track of prospects outside our own, but possibly somebody along the lines of Lemieux or Armia from the Kane trade.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
It's sad we have let the Ladd situation come to this. Bruins were able to turn Lucic into a 13th overall pick last season, a 1st round pick this season and a couple of prospects.

Ladd > Lucic. It sucks we likely won't get anyway near that return. We could have flipped Ladd for what turned out to be Barzal, a 1st this year and a prospect if we had not held held on to him over the offseason last year.

Now ofcourse if Chevy gets his way and gets that 1st round pick and an A prospect that he's asking for, it's all water under the bridge but otherwise losing an asset like Ladd for less than optimal return will sting for a while. People can call it handwringing if they want, sorry wanting the best possible return for our captain if we are going to lose him

Hindsight is 20/20. If we knew our season would go down the tank like this and we weren't going to sign Ladd then sure trade him while he still has a year left, but he had just captained this team to its first playoff appearance since 2007 and had a good personal season for us (especially when you factor in the hernia).

As it stands the team looked to be on the upswing and Ladd was a staple on our top line so we had no real reason to trade him at the draft last year and I certainly will not fault Chevy for that.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I legit wonder what the ask from Florida is, twice today they've put out that they're not going to pay at the price..

1st and Crouse/Matheson?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Seems like Kovy is leaving mother Russia to come back to NA. Do we welcome the prodigal son back with open arms for next season?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Seems like Kovy is leaving mother Russia to come back to NA. Do we welcome the prodigal son back with open arms for next season?

He would need unanimous approval from all 30 NHL GM's in order to return to the NHL prior to age 35.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Can he just waltz back into the league after retiring? Does he go back to the Devils? Do the Devils want him back? Does the league? Is he still good? I notice he isn't massively outproducing former NHL superstars like Peter Regin and Wojtek Wolski...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I couldn't give you a specific example from other teams since I don't really keep track of prospects outside our own, but possibly somebody along the lines of Lemieux or Armia from the Kane trade.

Those 2 are a little low by my standard. Armia is looking better and better. When/if he starts to score a bit he will rise to the level I would want. Lemieux is still too hard to call so I will rate him below what I would consider minimum. The pick is not as important as the prospect unless we get a prospect that isn't good enough. In that case I drop back on the pick to get a better prospect. JMO of course but Ladd is no run of the mill rental and should return at least a very good prospect.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
In he isnt traded by tomorrow im seriosly going to get worried, if Ladd is the front runner and is holding up all the other trades, then your going to get to a point where the other GM's are going to start the plan "b"'s.

I think Ladd is so much better than the plan Bs on the market that the real high-end "luxury" market will still be there.

Though if you get what you're looking for, take it.

What do you call a decent prospect?

For me, the Jets are (obviously, the numbers are made up):

Blue Chip (>50% chance of top 6/4/starter): Connor, Morrissey, Hellebuyck
A Prospects (>50% chance of NHLer): Petan, Lemieux, Comrie, Roslovic
B Prospects (<50% chance of NHLer): e.g. De Leo, Lipon, Kostalek, et c.
C Prospects (<10% chance of NHLer): e.g. Nogier, Poolman, Glover, et c.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I think Ladd is so much better than the plan Bs on the market that the real high-end "luxury" market will still be there.

I wonder if Jansen Harkins would be an A or B.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would you trade Ladd and Myers for Drouin?

Not a chance. Too high a price. You're essentially trading a good prospect, a low'ish 1st round pick, and an established #3 puck moving defenseman for a player that has shown good scoring, but who's upside is currently unknown.

Nope from me.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I wouldn't consider Myers a candidate for a salary dump. Would only consider that if he was.

For instance, Ladd+Stafford or Ladd+Enstrom or Ladd+Pavelec. Don't think Steve Yzerman likes those deals.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

This is really bad for the Jets. Ladd alone is worth a late 1st and a prospect (of unknown quality...hopefully we'll see it's an A prospect). Myers is definitely a coveted defenseman - young, cost controlled, enormous reach, good offense...I'd bet there are half a dozen teams after Myers like a dog in heat if the Jets were to put him on the market.

Really, Drouin's got red flags - and he's a Walsh client, so won't be an easy resigning when the time comes. Don't know if I'd trade either Ladd or Myers individually straight up for Drouin.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Ladd and Enstrom for Drouin and Carle.
Off season we worry about how to fix the LD side.
We're in tank mode already as I can tell.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Those are more or less the right categories. Some of your examples I might move down a bit.

I wonder if Jansen Harkins would be an A or B.

B, I think.

Tempting but no. If Myers were surplus to our needs maybe but he isn't. If TBL added something I might manage to get by without Myers.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ladd and Enstrom for Drouin and Carle.
Off season we worry about how to fix the LD side.
We're in tank mode already as I can tell.

Ew. Have you seen Carle's contract?

Not to mention Enstrom is a better defenseman. Solid, solid no for me.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Ew. Have you seen Carle's contract?

Not to mention Enstrom is a better defenseman. Solid, solid no for me.

Carle is a cap dump for Tampa. They gain by getting rid of this contact. That's why I think Ladd for Drouin and Carle is a fair deal. No need to involve Enstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad