Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fully aware of the salary last year, my point is still valid. I fully get this year. This year and all others (except last) money could be spent to TRY and ice the best team possible but wasn't by choice. Those years I fell like paying deferred rate for my season tickets.

Some US teams plan poorly no doubt (wouldn't want that), but I admire (some) they try to give their fans the best product each year. Not advocating selling our futures or products.

I'm happy with my tickets this year. I enjoy every NHL game, and the Jets are anything but a dull team to watch over the past couple of years. I with they were a bit better this year, but it's early and I think they'll likely be competitive. If they decide to trade Ladd and/or Buff for futures, they'll sink a bit, but I'm in it for the long run.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh come on, spit it out. You can't leave us hanging like this :hyper:

No, really it is just conjecture. IMO it has the ring of truth so I accept it as being believable. It has been discussed here in various forms. When I searched for material to back it up I was unable to produce it so I can only say that there is something rumoured that I believe to be close to the truth.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think that there's a trade-off related to Buff's value. His value might increase because some teams will be able to fit him under the cap a bit later this season, but wouldn't have been able to fit him at the beginning of the season. I think that his greatest value is either to a team that is a lower tier team that thinks that he can turn the team around in the long term (i.e. they would want to re-sign him), or to a contender that thinks he'll put them over the top. Either way, I don't see his value being all that sensitive to whether it is in the off-season or during the season.

I am always reluctant to see a trade of a player for picks at the draft, because I think draft picks are over-valued around the draft. Their value is at the lowest around the trade deadline when potential contenders are in a "win now" mode and they aren't as afraid of losing a lottery pick.

Yes, we've had that conversation before. Waiting in the hope that his value rises towards the TD has a certain logic to it but is very risky. The thing about the time period I am referring to is that there were teams who needed a RHD, had cap space and assets available. They did what any responsible GM would do. They filled the identified needs the best they could with the cap space and other assets they had available. I believe there were some potential trade partners there at that time. The potential was gone sometime before mid July. Example, Detroit signed Mike Green. That both filled their need and exhausted their available cap space. If there was ever a deal possible there it was gone after that signing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I haven't liked their game that much, but it's hard to get a good read because they have had some really bad defensive breakdowns that seem to come in bunches. Once they get down 2 or 3, it's hard to assess their play.

I think it's still a bit early.

I hate their PK. It looks like Noel's.

It is too passive, just collapsing into the goal. Oddly it seems to be better when Stuart takes a penalty. :naughty: The goal of the aggressive PK is not to score SH. Will always take that of course but the goal is just to get the puck out of our D zone. Then try to prevent re-entry. It seems that even when we do manage to get the puck out the PP is getting back in and set up too easily. I wish our PP could do that. We seem to do well enough once we get control in the O zone but spend far too much of our PP time just trying to get in.

I am wondering if Maurice's new systems might actually be OK once we learn to execute them better. The wings are not doing a good enough job covering for the pinching D but that is not a new concept to players at this level. Shouldn't they have learned that in Pee-Wee? These guys are ALL pros (even Peluso). How long should it take them to adapt to a few minor adjustments to the systems? They know this game inside out and backwards. Yeah yeah, I know ... that's how they've playing too. :shakehead

The same with integrating 4 new forwards. Yes that is 1/3 of the starters. They are all talented and very highly trained hockey players even Copp who came to the game late. It shouldn't take too long for them to fit in and also from the other side for their PRO teammates to integrate them.

I am left with the conclusion that Maurice's new system is not working. Fix it Paul!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm happy with my tickets this year. I enjoy every NHL game, and the Jets are anything but a dull team to watch over the past couple of years. I with they were a bit better this year, but it's early and I think they'll likely be competitive. If they decide to trade Ladd and/or Buff for futures, they'll sink a bit, but I'm in it for the long run.

I don't enjoy games where we lose by 7 goals by example. I don't enjoy games where the team plays defence like 13 yr old kids. I don't enjoy watching AHL plugs play on our team along side with real NHL players. I do not mind competitive teams as long as we're building towards a good team/contender.

I have no problem choosing a direction and going with it as long as we have a clear plan. Trade Ladd and/or buff, sure as long as there is a strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad