Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If anything happens and prospects are involved to balance a trade, it would make the most sense if a forward prospect went to Philly and a D prospect came the other way.

Agree. We need all the defensive prospects we can round up & Philly has a pile. Any forward currently with the Moose is available (Armia/Kosmo/Lipon/DeLeo) if we have a decent defensive prospect coming back.

The other consideration in this is that Philly is close to the cap, therefore in a Buff deal we would have to take back salary as well. I don't think B.Schenn would be in play there (2.5m), but perhaps Simmonds (3.9) or Read (3.6), plus L.Schenn on D (3.6; definitely not worth that but may take this to make it work)

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here we go!
Wpg. Jets Trade
Joel Armia (RW),
Dustin Byfuglien (RD),
Josh Morrissey (LD),
2016 2nd

to
Phil. Flyers for
Wayne Simmonds (RW),
Michael Raffl (LW),
Luke Schenn (LD)

I suspect that Armia's trade value is just about nil right now. They don't need Morrissey. What they have most of is D prospects. He is worth far more to us than to them. So they just don't like that package. I don't like it either. We still need Morrissey.

They love Simmonds and his friendly contract. We have to include more quality to get him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
One of the teams facing adversity that might be ready to act is Columbus. If Buff goes anywhere and I'm not convinced he will, I'm guessing that will be his landing spot.

Bjorkstrand?++

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
One of the teams facing adversity that might be ready to act is Columbus. If Buff goes anywhere and I'm not convinced he will, I'm guessing that will be his landing spot.

Bjorkstrand?++

Bjork and a 1st would do it for me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I cannot think of anything that sticks out to me in a trade with Philly.

To make it attractive to Jets it has to include at least 1 of their D prospects. To make it work for Philly it has to include some youth (to balance out their beloved D prospect) and it has to include cap hit coming back. Satisfying those needs can be done but it requires a lot of players going back and forth to also balance the value.

I think it could be done but it turns into a very complicated mega trade. I just don't see it having much chance of happening.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Bjorkstrand?++

Can't see them being too keen on throwing Bjork into a deal but I can see a need for a better more experienced RD in their line-up (especially a physical D that is very effective on the PP) .

There would also be a need for some salary coming back. Don't see any promising D we could go after, but would Bjork & Cam Atkinson (3.5m X 3) for Buff be a deal we could convince CBJ to consider.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
...maybe they were scouting Chicago.

Chicago is very much in "now" mode and could really use a top-end RD. Buff would be very attractive to them.

Cap doesn't work, so the Jets would need to take back salary in the short term.

Jets should look at...

Good roster player
Prospect
Pick
Cap dump

To Chi:
Byfuglien

To Wpg:
Anisimov
Pokka
2017 1st round pick
Bickell

Interesting. Anisimov would push Petan to the Moose. We would still have to accommodate Bickel somewhere. He could be a good enough bottom 6 player and the contract at least expires after next year but I wouldn't want him to replace anyone we currently have. Thor maybe? Probably the best thing would be to retain 50% salary and flip him.

I think Chicago has plans for Anisimov though. They just gave him a pretty big extension. I'm not sure he fits for us with that contract.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
If we're trading Buff, a solid D piece needs to come back. Our D core doesn't look very impressive without him.

Disagree.

In fact it might get better, if Trouba gets unstapled (Although Stuart has played OK so far).

We have 3 potential #1 RD in my mind right now.

Swapping out one of them for a better piece may help short and long term.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If we're trading Buff, a solid D piece needs to come back. Our D core doesn't look very impressive without him.

Agree with part I - would really like a D back. Prefer an NHL ready D, but ok with a high draft pick that we can use to draft a good D prospect as well

Don't agree with Part II - needing a D now (versus a prospect) because "our D core is weak without him". Buff is most useful as an offensive force, physicality, 3 on 3, and PP presence. Those will be missed; his defensive abilities not so much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. We need all the defensive prospects we can round up & Philly has a pile. Any forward currently with the Moose is available (Armia/Kosmo/Lipon/DeLeo) if we have a decent defensive prospect coming back.

The other consideration in this is that Philly is close to the cap, therefore in a Buff deal we would have to take back salary as well. I don't think B.Schenn would be in play there (2.5m), but perhaps Simmonds (3.9) or Read (3.6), plus L.Schenn on D (3.6; definitely not worth that but may take this to make it work)

Philly has also made it very clear that they are not going to trade young for old so any deal involving Buff has to both take back cap hit and give them some youth to balance the age. Simmonds is attractive to us as part of that salary take back but they love Simmonds and his contract. That is a lot of hoops we have to jump through to make it work.

I want to give them Buff and get back Sanheim and Simmonds. We also have to take L. Schenn for cap purposes. The good thing is his contract expires after this year. To get Sanheim and Simmonds we have to give more. The 'more' has to be both young and inexpensive as well as good. I don't think any of those Moose forwards you named get it done. Young and cheap but not good enough. Burmi might or Lemieux might. Until recently I think Philly would have loved Lemieux. The fans still would. I think it would take both (Philly really loves Simmonds).

To Wpg:
Simmonds + Sanheim + Schenn + '16 2nd

To Philly:
Buff + Burmi + Lemieux

I added the 2nd because I think we were giving up too much. Still might be but I think it takes something like that to make it work. Fans of both teams probably say no which would mean it is probably good value both ways.

Cap hits:
We take back 3.975 + 3.6 = 7.575 + Sanheim .894
We give them 5.2 + 1.55 + 6.75 + Lemieux .87

We don't need Schenn. Maybe if we retain some salary we could flip him. If not maybe we could get a pick for him at the TD. Otherwise we just swallow the 3.6 mil loss.

So, is Simmonds + Sanheim + a 2nd worth
Buff + Burmi + Lemieux?
We can spare those players. The surplus status of Buff has been discussed to death. Simmonds more than replaces Burmi. So no empty holes are left.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Columbus would absolutely love Roslovic (who is from Columbus). Perhaps he is dealt for some of their D prospects.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Columbus would absolutely love Roslovic (who is from Columbus). Perhaps he is dealt for some of their D prospects.

And those D prospects that would be worth considering would be.....

Sorry I'd check HF Hockey's Future site (as bad as their ratings can be it at least has some rating of prospects), but the dang site has had a truck pop-up blocking access to it all day!!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And those D prospects that would be worth considering would be.....

Sorry I'd check HF Hockey's Future site (as bad as their ratings can be it at least has some rating of prospects), but the dang site has had a truck pop-up blocking access to it all day!!

Zach Werenski. :naughty: We might have to add just a bit.

Gabriel Carlsson was drafted just 4 spots behind Roslovic so the value should be close. Chevy could have had him or Jacob Larsson and chose Roslovic. Don't know why he would make that swap now although personally I think he should have taken Larsson instead.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Disagree.

In fact it might get better, if Trouba gets unstapled (Although Stuart has played OK so far).

We have 3 potential #1 RD in my mind right now.

Swapping out one of them for a better piece may help short and long term.

But then we are short one strong RHD to carry the weak LHD.

Enstrom Myers
Chiarot Trouba
Stuart Pardy

That's ******

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why wouldn't they be when talking about Buff, really

Buff's the 3rd highest scoring D in the league over the last 4 seasons. He puts up points at an insane rate for a defenseman (0.71, 2011-present). He hits like a truck, he's fun to watch and he can dominate a game. Keith Yandle garnered Phoenix a king's ransom from the NYR last season and he scores less (0.60 ppg 2011-present), hits less and is worse defensively.

I'm sure there'll be some team out there at the TD that feels they're a Buff away from the Cup.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Buff's the 3rd highest scoring D in the league over the last 4 seasons. He puts up points at an insane rate for a defenseman (0.71, 2011-present). He hits like a truck, he's fun to watch and he can dominate a game. Keith Yandle garnered Phoenix a king's ransom from the NYR last season and he scores less (0.60 ppg 2011-present), hits less and is worse defensively.

I'm sure there'll be some team out there at the TD that feels they're a Buff away from the Cup.

Guaranteed if were out of the playoff picture by the TD chevy will pull the trigger on a crazy good offer from a contender. Some GM will overpay for Buff regardless of what fans say.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Roslovic is not a prospect I would want to move. My short list of moveable prospects would be Morrissey, Armia, Lemieux.

I'd like to see more of Roslovic, but personally I wouldn't be moving Lemieux or Morrissey either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille