Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I stated of size.....Bickell is crap.

In your opinion would they trade us Sharp or Shaw (heard Shaw in one player they might trade)?

Sorry you added during/after my quote. I think they move Sharp to someone. Only having 2 years left on his contract, and his actual salary being less then his cap hit might be appealing to the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you are making a lot of assumptions on who the Hawks plan to keep. If they don't keep Oduya they will likely have to pay someone quite a bit more then $1 M to play in the top 4. Richards is good value at his current salary and the Hawks might want another year if the price is right. And lets not forget they have Seabrook entering his UFA year and will need to re-up him likely at a significant raise. I see the Hawks making some significant moves. They have proven to be very proactive in this regard.

Yup. I am making assumptions. If they let all of those players go they will need to be replaced one way or another. Since we are talking about a supposedly cap strapped team I am assuming they replace their departing players with younger players on ELCs. I haven't delved into their system at all to see what they have available. They may look to sign an FA or two. I'm assuming they trade some players so there will be some kind of return that may help fill some of the holes. The point is that if they can trade Sharp in particular they can free up a lot of cap space from departing players. They are then able to fill those spots a number of ways but they have to be somewhat cheaper than the departing players. Timonen is already gone. He contributed nothing and cost 3.5 cap.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I guess it depends on what you consider of any size. Any player the Jets acquire that plays a regular role would seem pretty significant to me.

I don't think anyone cares much about 4th liners, it's top 6 or top 4 that matter. If Bickell is in our top 6 were in big trouble.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think anyone cares much about 4th liners, it's top 6 or top 4 that matter. If Bickell is in our top 6 were in big trouble.

Well that leaves out the 3rd line or an upgrade on our 5-6 d-man would be significant. In my books any deals that bring back a regular everyday player is significant. Look how many posts the re-signing of a 13/14 forward to the league minimum got. I'll guarantee you any player for player trade or a Jet prospect/pick for roster player will be seen as significant among the majority of posters around here.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Well that leaves out the 3rd line or an upgrade on our 5-6 d-man would be significant. In my books any deals that bring back a regular everyday player is significant. Look how many posts the re-signing of a 13/14 forward to the league minimum got. I'll guarantee you any player for player trade or a Jet prospect/pick for roster player will be seen as significant among the majority of posters around here.

Any move by the Jets is a big move here lol, look at Tony's signing. :laugh:

Bickell isn't a big lose for the Hawks and he isn't going to hurt them if he was traded to another Central team. It's possible sure. Shaw or Sharp are less likely to be traded in the central IMO.

Bickell is lazy, over paid and disappears on many nights.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lost in the Peluso signing yesterday, was the official start of the buyout period. Sadly I don't think the Jets will take advantage of it for Mr. Pavelec. In fact one of the 1290 guys was signing his praises again yesterday.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lost in the Peluso signing yesterday, was the official start of the buyout period. Sadly I don't think the Jets will take advantage of it for Mr. Pavelec. In fact one of the 1290 guys was signing his praises again yesterday.

Bought out players need to clear waivers first. Keep your eyes on the waiver wire ;)

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So Chevy is signing the low hanging fruit. Good, get this out of the way. Now let's work on some of the critical parts.

By low hanging fruit do you mean "chaff"? :laugh:

Yes bring on meaningful deals, signing, news, trades, etc......Don't really care about chaf...sorry low hanging fruit. :)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL and NHLPA in ongoing talks over next season's salary cap. The hope is to have a final number sometime next week before the draft

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
@FriedgeHNIC: Better grammar: MIN puts Matt Cooke on waivers for purpose to buy out his contract

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wonder how aggressive Minny will be at draft and in FA? Their best players are around 30, so their window to win is realistically the next 2-3 years.

Dubnyk will be a big decision. What will they do and stay under the cap?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Wonder how aggressive Minny will be at draft and in FA? Their best players are around 30, so their window to win is realistically the next 2-3 years.

I'm not sure their window is truly open right now. To be swept in the 2nd round and by the same team that keeps beating them in the playoffs? To me that means they need to completely revamp their roster. Whether or not they do it though, is another matter.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Central will still be toughest in hockey.

St Louis - will likely make some moves, but they aren't rebuilding. They are loading.

Nashville - made big strides under Lavy. Still have some holes to fill. Can they add a big piece or two?

Chicago - likely will move out or lose: Sharp, Vermette, Richards, Oduya, and maybe Bickell. Still will be a factor in Central.

Minny - they seem to be close. With some playoff experience. Have lots of pieces: Suter (top min muncher) Parise, Koivu, Pomminville, Granlund, El Niño, Vanek (scoring), Coyle for more size and grit at C. They seem close.

Jets - good young base on D with Myers and Trouba. Solid forwards in Ladd, Little, Wheeler and Scheifele. Big Lowry adding some physical play. But then lots of question marks. Does Frolik, Stafford, Burmi, Stempniak, Tlusty, Slater or Pardy come back? And how many, if any? Jets have good young prospects but this season could go south, IMO.

Stars - still have mess in goal and poor d. If that doesn't change dramatically, meh. They will still struggle, IMO.

Avs - what happens with ROR? Can young players take a step forward? Lots of questions here, but they have very good young players. Could surprise again.

So, depending on what the Jets can do, our lineup may not be better this coming season, while others in the Central may not change as much or improve. Another 5th place finish might be a welcome sight.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

To me Dubnyk is this year's Varlamov. Not a bad goalie but not a franchise guy that you hang your hat on. I don't think that Minnesota regresses like Colorado did though, they're a more mature franchise with less holes. They definitely went for it with their signings over the past couple of years but I don't know if they have enough to get over the hump.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm not sure their window is truly open right now. To be swept in the 2nd round and by the same team that keeps beating them in the playoffs? To me that means they need to completely revamp their roster. Whether or not they do it though, is another matter.

Completely revamp their roster? Really don't think so. And Chicago will need to make a lot of changes this offseason, so that dynamic may change too.

I think with a tweak here and there, Minny will be tough. Very tough.

The Vanek signing was a big question mark, for me, and they have some holes on d, but if Dubnyk can give them strong goaltending, they will be in the mix to go deep, IMO.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
To me Dubnyk is this year's Varlamov. Not a bad goalie but not a franchise guy that you hang your hat on. I don't think that Minnesota regresses like Colorado did though, they're a more mature franchise with less holes. They definitely went for it with their signings over the past couple of years but I don't know if they have enough to get over the hump.

as long as they don't do what Chicago has done in the past and what Detroit did with Howard, they should be fine. 3-4 year deal. avg of $4ish million and they're good.

arguably, goaltending gives you the worst bang for your buck salary-wise

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Back to the talk about Bickell what's his cap hit? Without CapGeek I don't know where to go for that info.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Dubnyk looking for 5 million per, which will be difficult for the Wild with the cap unless they can dump considerable salary.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
I think the Jets might have a look at trying to sign Shawn Matthias as a UFA. Has some size (albeit doesn't use it that effectively from what I've seen) and scored 17 ES goals last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad