Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is what I've been thinking/hoping for a while now. And the team most in need of shedding salary and a team Chevy has connections to is the Hawks. We might be in for an interesting few weeks.

Hawks lose Richards and Oduya to FA, trade Versteeg and Sharp. That shaves 13.475 off their cap, makes room for Toews, Kane and Saad without breaking up their core. Of course that leaves 4 roster spots to fill. If they get 4 young players in at about 1mil each they have no trouble.

But who are those 4 young players? Do they have them in their system already? Do they come in exchange for Versteeg and Sharp? Are they going into next year with 4 rookies?

They don't have to break up their team or lose any key players to get under the cap. They are going to have some holes to fill and some questions to answer. Do they re-sign Vermette? I don't see any great opportunity for us though unless they come shopping for depth defensemen. They also lose Timmonen and Rozsival (another 5.7 mil) so it could happen.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only if the player and his agent are ready to talk. From their (player and agent) point of view...what's the rush? Buff's probably fishing somewhere.

Is that really the attitude you expect them to take when beginning negotiations for a career contract? Buff might be fishing but his agent better be at work.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Hawks lose Richards and Oduya to FA, trade Versteeg and Sharp. That shaves 13.475 off their cap, makes room for Toews, Kane and Saad without breaking up their core. Of course that leaves 4 roster spots to fill. If they get 4 young players in at about 1mil each they have no trouble.

But who are those 4 young players? Do they have them in their system already? Do they come in exchange for Versteeg and Sharp? Are they going into next year with 4 rookies?

They don't have to break up their team or lose any key players to get under the cap. They are going to have some holes to fill and some questions to answer. Do they re-sign Vermette? I don't see any great opportunity for us though unless they come shopping for depth defensemen. They also lose Timmonen and Rozsival (another 5.7 mil) so it could happen.

They signed Panarin and Baun (undrafted UFA's) already in anticipation of their needs. Those are ELC's but they probably have a high bonus content, so they still have to be careful.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That is what I've been thinking/hoping for a while now. And the team most in need of shedding salary and a team Chevy has connections to is the Hawks. We might be in for an interesting few weeks.

That honestly scares me a little. The players the Hawks are likely going to want to trade to shed salaries (Sharp, Bickell?) I personally want no part of.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think one of the guys they might be looking at seriously is Bickell. Considering what we have right now on the left side.

Ladd,Bickell and Ehlers on the left side wouldn't be too terrible. He does only have 2 years left 4 mill per year. I guess it depends on what we would have to give up

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think one of the guys they might be looking at seriously is Bickell. Considering what we have right now on the left side.

Ladd,Bickell and Ehlers on the left side wouldn't be too terrible. He does only have 2 years left 4 mill per year. I guess it depends on what we would have to give up

With Chicago's cap they'd probably hand the Jets Bickell for free and say thank you.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If we give up a later round pick, I don't think it would be terrible to get him. His possession numbers are solid. His numbers are kind of bleh but I can see him liking the system the Jets play

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ehlers is more likely a RW but we do have MP on the left and probably Burmi. That leaves only the 4th line for Bickell. I don't think we want to pay a 4th liner 4mil.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I wouldn't be interested in 4 million in cap, and 4.5 million in salary for two years of Bickell myself. I don't think he's worth that.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If you get Bickell for not much, a late pick, he's not horribad.

I think he would do reasonably well on a line with Scheifele and Wheeler, parking himself in front of the net and banging in rebounds, while the other two make plays.

MP on third line with Lowry would add some skill there.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

Included in that cap hit is 4 million in bonuses that needs to be paid, plus the possibility of Saad being offer sheeted by some team.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Bickel is over paid. Taking him would do the Hawks a huge favour. They have to shed $6mm in the offseason to stay under the cap next year (that's assuming the PA uses their escalator as the NHL keeps assuming). I assume their strategy this summer is to unload their over priced contracts and try bringing in either youth on the cheap or experienced players willing to take a pay cut to play for a cup.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Why not? He did with Kane and Bogosian.

How so? Kane, maybe. But how was Bogo's low?

And the funny thing about that is that he still got great value for Kane. Personally...I think we see a one or two year deal that could definitely see him dealt in. Basically a chance to showcase Burmi and give management time to decide whether or not he's in the Jets long term plans.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can we trade one of or both Thor & Tony for a 7th Rd pick? :)

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would be very surprised if the Jets/Hawks did any trades with each other of any size now that we're both in the central.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would be very surprised if the Jets/Hawks did any trades with each other of any size now that we're both in the central.

Why? The Hawks are as close to a dynasty as you come in today's NHL. I can't see them being worried a Bickell trade for example will come back to haunt them. The Hawks have 3 players better then the best Jet. Some would argue more. If it works out for them to unload salary for futures, and the Jets think it will help them I don't think they bat an eye about being in the same division. It is not like they are moving any core pieces.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Why? The Hawks are as close to a dynasty as you come in today's NHL. I can't see them being worried a Bickell trade for example will come back to haunt them. The Hawks have 3 players better then the best Jet. Some would argue more. If it works out for them to unload salary for futures, and the Jets think it will help them I don't think they bat an eye about being in the same division. It is not like they are moving any core pieces.

I stated of size.....Bickell is crap.

In your opinion would they trade us Sharp or Shaw (heard Shaw in one player they might trade)?

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think you are making a lot of assumptions on who the Hawks plan to keep. If they don't keep Oduya they will likely have to pay someone quite a bit more then $1 M to play in the top 4. Richards is good value at his current salary and the Hawks might want another year if the price is right. And lets not forget they have Seabrook entering his UFA year and will need to re-up him likely at a significant raise. I see the Hawks making some significant moves. They have proven to be very proactive in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad