Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The trouble he's had being an above average goalie in general is concerning.

I agree though, he will likely be traded in the 2016 offseason.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The trouble he's had being an above average goalie in general is concerning.

I agree though, he will likely be traded in the 2016 offseason.

Ummm what? He's been a solid netminder for pretty much his entire career. He's not going to win a Vezina any time soon, but he's still a solid and a better option the Pavelec when Healthy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ummm what? He's been a solid netminder for pretty much his entire career. He's not going to win a Vezina any time soon, but he's still a solid and a better option the Pavelec when Healthy.

He's been a much better goalie than Pavelec and he's been pretty consistent. The trouble with Howard would be his contract that still has 4 years to go.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
NHL goalies by SV%, Jimmy Howard:

2014/15, >1k TOI: 36th of 52
2013-15, >2k TOI: 39th of 57
2012-15, >3k TOI: 27th of 47
2011-15, >4k TOI: 23rd of 45
2010-14, >4k TOI: 23rd of 50

Upgrade on Pavelec? Probably so. Good goalie? No. Would be a huge mistake to take his contract.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
A solid lifetime .916 goalie vs a hot and cold .908. Hmmm tough decision:sarcasm:

Stuck in no-man's land of mediocrity for 4 more years and $20M committed, or two rough transition years (possibly, Pavelec can lose his job) and $9M committed, with a decent chance of reaching the promised land.

I've made up my mind.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Stuck in no-man's land of mediocrity for 4 more years and $20M committed, or two rough transition years (possibly, Pavelec can lose his job) and $9M committed, with a decent chance of reaching the promised land.

I've made up my mind.

Want to look at the last 4 years, fine. .910, ,910, .921, .923 (Howard) vs .901. .905, .906, .920 (Pav).

NHL playoff save % of .919 (Howard) vs .890? (Pavs)

I think I have a pretty good idea who the medicre one is here -- Hint: It isn't Howard

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Want to look at the last 4 years, fine. .910, ,910, .921, .923 (Howard) vs .901. .905, .906, .920 (Pav).

NHL playoff save % of .919 (Howard) vs .890? (Pavs)

I think I have a pretty good idea who the medicre one is here.

Howard is the mediocre one.
Pavelec is the bad one.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I have a difficult time believing that the Jets would have drafted Helleybuck, Comrie, and Phillips, only to have them stuck behind a highly paid goalie for the next 4 years.

I would compare the goalies we drafted to the centres we drafted, who have deftly filled the hole we inherited in the #2 slot.

Helleybuck, in my opinion, is like our John Gibson, a goalie who is ready for the Show. So it comes to Hutchinson or Pavelec as the other goalie, and Eric Comrie getting an opportunity to grow in the A. Having both Helleybuck and Comrie in the A next year will be a juggling act, really do you want to have Helleybuck have his role reduced to give Comrie an opportunity to grow, or do you want to start Comrie off in a situation where he does not get to be an active goalie, coming off a gold medal promising season? If I traded Pavelec, I would want less term (like Cam Ward, with salary retention by the Canes). Or a draft pick, to simply shed salary which can be spent elsewhere (Ladd, Scheif, Trouba, Lowry). I feel like Pavs future is tied to Frolik's. Without Frolik here, I don't know if we will see an inspired Pavelec, and that would be time to sell. If Frolik re-signs, maybe we move Hutch instead.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have a difficult time believing that the Jets would have drafted Helleybuck, Comrie, and Phillips, only to have them stuck behind a highly paid goalie for the next 4 years.

I would compare the goalies we drafted to the centres we drafted, who have deftly filled the hole we inherited in the #2 slot.

Helleybuck, in my opinion, is like our John Gibson, a goalie who is ready for the Show. So it comes to Hutchinson or Pavelec as the other goalie, and Eric Comrie getting an opportunity to grow in the A. Having both Helleybuck and Comrie in the A next year will be a juggling act, really do you want to have Helleybuck have his role reduced to give Comrie an opportunity to grow, or do you want to start Comrie off in a situation where he does not get to be an active goalie, coming off a gold medal promising season? If I traded Pavelec, I would want less term (like Cam Ward, with salary retention by the Canes). Or a draft pick, to simply shed salary which can be spent elsewhere (Ladd, Scheif, Trouba, Lowry). I feel like Pavs future is tied to Frolik's. Without Frolik here, I don't know if we will see an inspired Pavelec, and that would be time to sell. If Frolik re-signs, maybe we move Hutch instead.

Expect the Jets to arrange an ECHL affiliation. Comrie will get to start there.

Forget Cam Ward. Please.
If Frolik and Pav are that important to each other then Frolik will stay. They aren't and he won't.
The time to sell Pav is the first time we get an offer. Any offer.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Expect the Jets to arrange an ECHL affiliation. Comrie will get to start there.

Forget Cam Ward. Please.
If Frolik and Pav are that important to each other then Frolik will stay. They aren't and he won't.
The time to sell Pav is the first time we get an offer. Any offer.

If you want to re-sign Ladd, adding a goalie who he won a Cup with might be a better idea than retaining a goalie who hasn't won a playoff game, with longer term remaining, just saying. Also we seem to be able to deal with the Canes, given Maurice's history with their roster. I'm also ok with going with Helleybuck-Pavelec/Hutch next year.

And no way does Comrie start in the ECHL. He is a blue-chip prospect, who deserves top quality competition to grow. Some people in management I am sure still believe he is a better prospect than Helleybuck. If Helleybuck can goaltend for team USA, and well, he can goaltend for the Jets. Let's progress. Like I said growing the same way we did through Chevy's drafting of centres (maybe 3 of the 4 pivots are his draft picks next year, two perhaps on defense, and one in net) is a good stamp on the team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you want to re-sign Ladd, adding a goalie who he won a Cup with might be a better idea than retaining a goalie who hasn't won a playoff game, with longer term remaining, just saying. Also we seem to be able to deal with the Canes, given Maurice's history with their roster. I'm also ok with going with Helleybuck-Pavelec/Hutch next year.

And no way does Comrie start in the ECHL. He is a blue-chip prospect, who deserves top quality competition to grow. Some people in management I am sure still believe he is a better prospect than Helleybuck. If Helleybuck can goaltend for team USA, and well, he can goaltend for the Jets. Let's progress. Like I said growing the same way we did through Chevy's drafting of centres (maybe 3 of the 4 pivots are his draft picks next year, two perhaps on defense, and one in net) is a good stamp on the team.

The ECHL is a perfectly good place to start a goalie prospect. He gets to be the starter there. After a year he can move up to the A. Why do you think NHL maintain teams or affiliates in the ECHL?

Personally I would be willing to take a chance on moving Helle up this year but I don't think there is more than a proverbial snowballs chance that Chevy will. To do that they have to get rid of Pav though or pay Hutch his NHL salary to play in the A.

Ward's cup win was 9 years ago. He had a bounce back season this year. All the way back to .910.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Playing time is more important than ECHL vs. AHL, IMO. There would be nothing wrong with starting Comrie there. We saw an ECHL > AHL > NHL goalie just post a 21-10-5 record for us this past year. Didn't seem to hinder his development.

I'd hate to see Comrie languish on the bench behind Hello. Call-ups for Comrie would be very likely as well.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Playing time is more important than ECHL vs. AHL, IMO. There would be nothing wrong with starting Comrie there. We saw an ECHL > AHL > NHL goalie just post a 21-10-5 record for us this past year. Didn't seem to hinder his development.

I'd hate to see Comrie languish on the bench behind Hello. Call-ups for Comrie would be very likely as well.

Throwing this one out their: NJ 1st Rd pick 6 overall for Buff & our 1st 17th overall we pick Provs from Wheat Kings.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Totally crazy. 67 % want Pavs back & only 25% think that goaltending is our biggest problem!!

That & thinking Enstrom has to go; a totally misinformed fan base that gets their ideas from what they read in the papers & hear on broadcasts

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Totally crazy. 67 % want Pavs back & only 25% think that goaltending is our biggest problem!!

That & thinking Enstrom has to go; a totally misinformed fan base that gets their ideas from what they read in the papers & hear on broadcasts

Keep the bad players. Get rid of the good ones. Fix what ain't broke. Ignore what is. I think that is what Garrett calls recency bias. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad