Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (12-13 Part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I would have dealt Hainsey and Wellwood for him.

Wellwood isnt as good as Erat but Hainsey at this stage is way way better than the prospect Nashville sent.

Unless Hainsey fits into the future it isn't an overpay at all because now he will be a UFA and who is to say he will even return?

If they wanted a prospect I would have given them Telegin or Klingberg.

These deals are all horrible for Washington.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
People overrate prospects. There are teams that would love Buff over Mackinnon. However, those same teams are not teams likely to get Mackinnon. If a team finishes bottom three I don't see them moving a top prospect.

cant tell if serious? buffs NOW value may make him attractive. and yes some teams may have a greater need for defencemen. but NOONE is trading a 19 y.o franchise center (aka 1st/2nd overall) for a 28 year old defenceman straight up...

with the incredible hype around the top 3/4 picks this year. there are likely very few players in the league that could get them in a straight up swap..

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
These deals are all horrible for Washington.

I would imagine that Ron Hainsey has a lot of value and Kyle Wellwood or Antropov or Jokinen or whomever added on even if its just Telegin or Klingberg could have done it. The point was that I am sure we could have gotten him for pending UFA's and prospects and acquired a top tier prospect.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I would imagine that Ron Hainsey has a lot of value and Kyle Wellwood or Antropov or Jokinen or whomever added on even if its just Telegin or Klingberg could have done it. The point was that I am sure we could have gotten him for pending UFA's and prospects and acquired a top tier prospect.

Wishing it to be true doesn't make it so.

Washington didn't trade Forsberg for value, they traded him because Erat was what they wanted and Forsberg was what Nashville demanded.

You can't actually believe that the Jets could have thrown together a package of lesser assets and Washington would have been compelled to accept the offer.

To be very blunt, players on the Jets roster comparable to Erat are Wheeler and Ladd. If you want Forsberg, that's what you're parting with, not the bundle of scraps and UFAs to be that you're talking about.

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011
Wishing it to be true doesn't make it so.

Washington didn't trade Forsberg for value, they traded him because Erat was what they wanted and Forsberg was what Nashville demanded.

You can't actually believe that the Jets could have thrown together a package of lesser assets and Washington would have been compelled to accept the offer.

To be very blunt, players on the Jets roster comparable to Erat are Wheeler and Ladd. If you want Forsberg, that's what you're parting with, not the bundle of scraps and UFAs to be that you're talking about.

I believe Erat also had a list of teams submitted that he would accept trades to (NMC), so there's possibly that against us even being in the running for a trade. Nashville would have wanted Trouba (2 picks ahead of Forsburg) or Schiefele; Erat has been their leading scorer for a few years now and he's been in their top 6 of scoring since 03-04.

We're division rivals next year, don't kid yourself by saying we get this done with anything less than one of our two top prospects. That was the cost of a top 6 RW (see Pominville trade as well) and I'm glad Chevy wasn't going to pay.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I believe Erat also had a list of teams submitted that he would accept trades to (NMC), so there's possibly that against us even being in the running for a trade. Nashville would have wanted Trouba (2 picks ahead of Forsburg) or Schiefele; Erat has been their leading scorer for a few years now and he's been in their top 6 of scoring since 03-04.

We're division rivals next year, don't kid yourself by saying we get this done with anything less than one of our two top prospects. That was the cost of a top 6 RW (see Pominville trade as well) and I'm glad Chevy wasn't going to pay.

The poster I quoted wasn't suggesting the Jets should have traded for Erat, he was suggesting the Jets should have traded for Filip Forsberg.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What will Chevy do to fill some roster spots next year? I think we will need some serious help on our third line:

Ladd Little Wheeler
Kane Scheif Burmi
??? Jokinen ????
Wright Slater Peluso

Enstrom Buff
Redmond Bogo
Stuart Trouba
Postma

I don't think Odell, Telegin or Lowry will be ready next year and it doesn't seem as though Klingberg is in their plans. I guess Santorelli may stay but we need two players to fill the third line or let Burmi play with Oli and find a top six RW.
I think Mitts, Welly, Antro, Thorburn, Tangradi, Hainsey and Clitty will all be gone. Thoughts?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I think Santorelli stays and takes over the Wellwood tweener role.

I'd also like to see us retain Tangradi. He's really come along in these last few games. Physicality and forechecking have really started to show, he looks way more confident out there. Even if it's just for the 4th line he's a decent player.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
What will Chevy do to fill some roster spots next year? I think we will need some serious help on our third line:

Ladd Little Wheeler
Kane Scheif Burmi
??? Jokinen ????
Wright Slater Peluso

Enstrom Buff
Redmond Bogo
Stuart Trouba
Postma

I don't think Odell, Telegin or Lowry will be ready next year and it doesn't seem as though Klingberg is in their plans. I guess Santorelli may stay but we need two players to fill the third line or let Burmi play with Oli and find a top six RW.
I think Mitts, Welly, Antro, Thorburn, Tangradi, Hainsey and Clitty will all be gone. Thoughts?

Without being able to possibly predict trades and signings, I do think this is for the most part pretty likely.

With that being said, I am worried that this team will yield much of the same results we've seen over the last 2 seasons. Too much of the same, in my opinion. It will be nice if both Scheifele and Trouba are on the team, but I'm not sure at their ages and respective stages of their early careers that they will change or help this current team too much.

If we are going to keep Tangradi and Santorelli around, they better be on short leashes in my opinion. We cannot afford a 3rd consecutive season with a bottom 6 that cannot contribute consistently offensively to support the top 6. The likelihood of Slater, Wright and Peluso contributing is very, very minimal, so it is important to then have 3rd liners contribute efficiently for their role.

At the end of the day here, I believe Chevy has some big decisions to make with what direction we go with this roster. It's going to be a looong season next year if it resembles this season and last. Personally, I am growing very tired of it. We can only rely and depend on the same group for so long here before it just becomes idiotic to continue doing it.

I'll close by saying I do feel Byfuglien is a prime trade piece. He has been known as a core guy here and personally if we are going to alter or shake the core here, he is a great piece to start with, in my opinion.

Ideally, we can snag a solid roster player from a team who cannot afford him any longer with the cap declining. Who those possible players will be is yet to be determined.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Many in the media don't think Scheifele will make the team next year.

I think they are crazy, but that is the word.

Mark might spend some time in the AHL I guess we'll see.....I can see a blended season as he adapts to playing against the size and strength of men. at some point I firmly believe he will adjust and do well in the NHL. Watching Couturier flounder around handling the puck like it was a live grenaid on the 2nd PP unit yesterday makes the wait a bit more plalitable. :naughty:

Honestly though watching the parade of guys going on and off Kane's line this year makes me think Mark couldn't do much worse as the centre on that line.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One of my big pet peeves is the assertion that this organization is somehow trying to hold down young talent. It's ridiculous. You would have to be certifiably INSANE to:

- Do things to intentionally hinder/ hamper the development of your prospects
- Sacrifice team success for a young player.

Scheifele and Trouba will be in the NHL when they are ready to be in the NHL. I don't want another Burmistrov up here. A guy with obvious talent and potential who is not mentally of physically ready to play in the proper role in the NHL.

If you are a top 6 forward, you had better be ready to quickly work your way into that role when you get into the NHL. If you are a defenseman, you need to be ready to at least be serviceable in a 5/6 role as you learn the NHL game.

Noel and Chevy aren't thinking "wouldn't it be great to **** with this youngster?" They are looking at this team long term, which is the right way to look at it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He won't make the team unless they give him a fair shake to make the team. I don't see that happening though.
I don't buy that.

I didn't think he would be able to beat out Welly, Antropov or Mittens this year. He didn't. This year Scheif will be better and the path to a roster should be less of a mess.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He won't make the team unless they give him a fair shake to make the team. I don't see that happening though.

I wouldn't count him out. I think he'll get a fair shake. You have to remember our top 9 was pretty full at the beginning of the year, we were excited Ponikarovsky and Jokinen were here. Also consider Scheifele was sick and lost some weight before camp, and we still didn't have a proper training camp.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't buy that.

I didn't think he would be able to beat out Welly, Antropov or Mittens this year. He didn't. This year Scheif will be better and the path to a roster should be less of a mess.

Agree.

I see next season Scheifele will probably have a similar role as Kadri did for Toronto.
Centre a middle six line, predominately in a sheltered scoring role.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
One of my big pet peeves is the assertion that this organization is somehow trying to hold down young talent. It's ridiculous. You would have to be certifiably INSANE to:

- Do things to intentionally hinder/ hamper the development of your prospects
- Sacrifice team success for a young player.

Scheifele and Trouba will be in the NHL when they are ready to be in the NHL. I don't want another Burmistrov up here. A guy with obvious talent and potential who is not mentally of physically ready to play in the proper role in the NHL.

If you are a top 6 forward, you had better be ready to quickly work your way into that role when you get into the NHL. If you are a defenseman, you need to be ready to at least be serviceable in a 5/6 role as you learn the NHL game.

Noel and Chevy aren't thinking "wouldn't it be great to **** with this youngster?" They are looking at this team long term, which is the right way to look at it.
Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad